Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 4:02:33 PM EDT
I'm looking to spend less than 500 bucks. I like that Navy Seal watch but I can't stand the fact that it actually says "NAVY SEALS" on the face - I think it's cheesy. Something like that though. Any ideas? Pics?

Thanks lads.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking to spend less than 500 bucks. I like that Navy Seal watch but I can't stand the fact that it actually says "NAVY SEALS" on the face - I think it's cheesy. Something like that though. Any ideas? Pics?

Thanks lads.

Depends what purpose(s) it will serve. Just telling time... buy a cheap Timex. They're pretty durable and you can save the other $470 and buy some ammo, a gun, or some gearage.

If you want to blow your wad, how about a Suunto. I have a X-Lander, and it's served me well for 4 years now... the longest I have ever had a watch. Usually I just get tired of the one I have and replace it with a cooler looking one. I haven't done that with this one because it was the most expensive watch I've ever bought. I don't use half the shit on it anymore because I'm no longer .mil. But it's a good watch and they have really changed the appearance of some of them and they look even cooler now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
A $500.00 watch is like a $15.00 bottle of wine.  You paid too much for crap.

Spend a bit more and get a decent watch that will last you for a decade or so.

My personal favorite is Tag Heuer, though I have watches in my safe that cost 100 times more, I never bother wearing them, I can't think of the last time I wore any watch other than the Tag.

We have guys on here who are real watch afficianodoes, they will chime in I am sure.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for TAG. They just came out with a new one that is around $500.00.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have one. My cell phone serves that function too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't have one. My cell phone serves that function too.

I'll have to admitt, I normally look at my phone first  out of habit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My personal favorite is Tag Heuer, though I have watches in my safe that cost 100 times more, I never bother wearing them, I can't think of the last time I wore any watch other than the Tag.

We have guys on here who are real watch afficianodoes, they will chime in I am sure.

i simply dont see the logic in wearing an expensive watch.

are you a guest\ host at some kind of high baller's party?

do you have the suit to go with that watch?
do you have the Maserati to go with that suit?
have you the mansion to go with that Maserati?
Have you the Supermodel to go with that Mansion and MAserati?

its a watch!

there are plenty cheaper that will get the job done that work just as well.
last i checked, 10.00 seiko digitals tell pretty good time.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
still wearing the 'ol Tag "Link" that I got years ago. Self winding Certified Chronometer {not to be confused with "Chronograph"}
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I would love a Tag, but I can't afford one right now. Plus I just bought an M1A so my wife would shit her pants. To clarify, I don't really like digitals, I would rather have a regular old watch with Mickey's big hand and little hand. I work on the street every day and that's where it will see most use/abuse.

I'd love to spend more and understand the reasoning behind it but I honestly couldn't justify it right now.

Edited to add: Regarding why I want a semi-decent watch - I don't wear jewelry other than my wedding band. I don't want a super pretty watch like a Breitling or something like that, just something that's solid and looks good. Also, I keep my watches until they die so this is something I'll be wearing for a while. I want it to be a good one. 500 bucks worth of "good" anyway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I second the Suunto.  I have the Vector.  The choice of SG1 cant be wrong!  But seriously, it had a compass, barometer, altimeter and temp gauge.  Water resistant to 30m.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i simply dont see the logic in wearing an expensive watch.

are you a guest\ host at some kind of high baller's party?

do you have the suit to go with that watch?
do you have the Maserati to go with that suit?
have you the mansion to go with that Maserati?
Have you the Supermodel to go with that Mansion and MAserati?

its a watch!

there are plenty cheaper that will get the job done that work just as well.
last i checked, 10.00 seiko digitals tell pretty good time.

Uh, yup.

Actually, with a time piece, you get what you pay for, as with most things.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a tag links watch for sale.  Its a bit more than $500 but trades and cash would work if the deal is right.  I have all papers and even the mayors bag and box.   This is a 10 out of a 10 watch.  If you like to know more let me know and we can talk.  I paid $1430 for it out the door!

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a tag links watch for sale.  Its a bit more than $500 but trades and cash would work if the deal is right.  I have all papers and even the mayors bag and box.   This is a 10 out of a 10 watch.  If you like to know more let me know and we can talk.  I paid $1430 for it out the door!

I have some AR parts I will throw in to help him out with the trade angle, let me know what you are looking for.

(If he's interested that is...)
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Look on Google or Ebay for an Oakley Blade...best watch I've seen in a long time.

That watch is the ugliest watch I have seen in a long time, no forever.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have some AR parts I will throw in to help him out with the trade angle, let me know what you are looking for.

No thanks Vedubin, I'm gonna hold out on the Tag until my wife and I can get matching ones. She wants one too! Thanks anyway.

Hielo, you thoughtful bastard! Thanks bro, but I'm gonna keep looking.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#17]
another "what watch should I get" thread... I am thinking we need our own forum!

I like the Seiko Automatic Diver-- SKX401K, but its hard to get and not sold in the U.S. Three bands available: rubber dive strap, oyster band, jubilee band. The U.S. version is the SKX175 with jubilee band. All black with rubber dive strap is the SKX173-- Jarhead_22 has one that looks like it could be the same model.

They also make a quartz diver...

www.princetonwatches.com is an authorized Seiko dealer, and has excellent prices.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No thanks Vedubin, I'm gonna hold out on the Tag until my wife and I can get matching ones. She wants one too! Thanks anyway.

Hielo, you thoughtful bastard! Thanks bro, but I'm gonna keep looking.

My Pleasure. Good luck then!  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#20]
goto timezone.com
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
another "what watch should I get" thread... I am thinking we need our own forum!

I like the Seiko Automatic Diver-- SKX401K, but its hard to get and not sold in the U.S. Three bands available: rubber dive strap, oyster band, jubilee band. The U.S. version is the SKX175 with jubilee band. All black with rubber dive strap is the SKX173-- Jarhead_22 has one that looks like it could be the same model.

They also make a quartz diver...

www.princetonwatches.com is an authorized Seiko dealer, and has excellent prices.

......google the "seiko citizen tradeing foreum" if your interested in one of these types....There must be a "TAG' foreum also. Great deals to be had if you follow the foreums for a while IMO. My back up watch is a skx173 NEW IN BOX 80.00 @ my door, 180.00 @ the jewlers!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I second the Suunto.  I have the Vector.  The choice of SG1 cant be wrong!  But seriously, it had a compass, barometer, altimeter and temp gauge.  Water resistant to 30m.

"and a thing which tells time..."
- A Christmas Story

Over $1k for a watch? Madness!! I thought I was a big spender when I bought my stupid Suunto. I'll never buy a watch over $40 when this one breaks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Luminox and love it.  Even though it says Navy Seal on it I don't give a damn, it works great.  Just my two cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top