Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 4:01:28 PM EDT
Any full-time gunsmiths on the board? Where/how did you get your training and is it your "calling" or just a hobby that supplements your "real" income?

Making money again is nice but I still hate my working life. Being employed again means I get to pay bills while I continue my search for the right path for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT and editing the title, thereby shrieking, "Notice me, dammit!!" ]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for Professional Gunsmiths or Designated Gunsmiths?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you looking for Professional Gunsmiths or Designated Gunsmiths?

That would be Imbroglio's job.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a gunsmith, just a parts changing armorer.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
there is a gunsmith school in denver...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Uh-oh. I get the feeling I'm walking into an inside joke.... If it was a serious question, though, I haven't a frigging clue. That's my whole point in posting - need to know what I don't know so I can see if it's something I might be interested in pursuing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Try celt1 he is the force behind HD Rifle......

Good guy too!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#8]
keith have you looked into the Gunsmith school in Trinidad Colorado. It is one of the best gun smithing schools in the nation. Give their councilor a call and see what they have to say. There is one other member here that will be starting class there this next fall.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn't you know? Everyone here is a gunsmith, sniper, ex-Special Forces, and lawyer. How did you gte by the membership screening?

Edit: Sorry I didn't pick up on this the first time... you're interested in finding out about gunsmithing?

I have heard that some of those schools you see in the Gun mag ads involve learning a lot of engraving and what not... you might be looking more for an armorer/gun repair type of school. I don't know for sure... just throwing this out as bait for all the smarties to bite on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a dremel tool and a really big hammer. I'm WESCOG certified. What services do you need?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#11]
No Joke ment.  I earn my money fixing guns, but I would never call myself a gunsmith.  I just take parts out of bins to replace broken parts.  I dont fabricate anything from stock.

I have in the past done gunsmithing work, but only on Muzzleloading firearms.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Most people here just FUCK GUNS UP.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I attended the gunsmithing program at Yavapai College back in 1991 and 1992. I gave up my vow of poverty a long time ago and have been using my degree in justice to work as a paralegal for the last nine years. I just play with guns now as a hobby in case the lights go out.

www.gunsmithing.org/
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not one, but I play one on TV!

I made this:

Outta this:

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, thanks for the replies. Shooter505 and Innocent_Bystander, thanks for the leads. Pathfinder, it's okay - I'm a 34-year-old, 2-tour veteran of MACVSOG and have been stealthily training Delta snipers on a secret base (Firebase AllUrHeadshotsAreBelongToUs) that I can't tell you more about with killing you.

Actually, P74, you hit it right on the head. I don't have any machining background but started grinning like a kid in a candy store when I walked into a local class 3 guy's shop a few weeks ago. The idea of literally getting into the nuts and bolts (and cams and springs) of my favorite hobby and enduring passion? Yeah...feels like a good idea. I just need a place to start looking to see if it could pay the bills, too. Damn my healthy pragmatism....

PsyWar, care to share a little detail on where you work and how you got started? IM me if you don't mind chatting about it.

Btw, nice 1911, Entropy. I don't really care for shooting pistols with finger grooves like that but it "shur looks purty".
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I got sent to the squadron armory for a year in the Corps and tried hard to OJT as a 2111, but our det OIC wouldn't let me get the MOS. I took all the courses, though. I later put my training to work and built a 590 for myself. I never shoot it anymore, and I want to buy a cav adapter so I can fit a eotech and a AR stock.

I want to put a 6.8 together, too.

The gunsmith MOS in the Corps is 2112, 2111 can just change out parts, and a 2112 is highly respected and means custom work, and the ability to make custom tooling. A good 2112 is almost as good as a tool and die maker in terms of ability and craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Try celt1 he is the force behind HD Rifle......

Good guy too!

He helped me out when I was trying to do some work!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top