Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2004 11:00:23 AM EDT
We picked up an 84 shortbed chevy truck for my little brother to drive to high school in.  The only thing is it is need of a paint job. We aren't looking to spend more than $500 so I was thinking a paint shop like one day paint and body or Earl Schieb. Anyone used one of these chains before???
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Well we don't have either of those here, but we have a little place called peach paint.

About the same thing it sounds, cheap paintjob.

i think it was $400 -ish, and well we got what we paid for, quality was so-so overspray was pretty bad,

Just remember you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO, cammo for a vehicle is a bit silly when you look at the cost benefit analysis.  The benefit is that in some rare instances, it well blend in with the surroundings and not be seen.  (movement & odor is far more important to animals).  The cost is that everyone will think you're nutcase.

The best cammo for a vehicle is being plain jane battleship grey 4 door sedan.  I had a 1991 lumina that didn't even stick out in my driveway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are willing to do the prep work, they aren't bad. Several people on the car board I frequent have done it. But they took the time to sand, tape off, and remove all the stuff to prep the cars prior to paint.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll remove myself from the running from the smartest guy on the board.  Perhaps I'll head over to the eye doctor...

I'll leave that post as is for 'sporting purposes'.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Find a place that does MARPAT paintjobs... you'll be the envy of the site!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you are willing to do the prep work, they aren't bad. Several people on the car board I frequent have done it. But they took the time to sand, tape off, and remove all the stuff to prep the cars prior to paint.

That's what I've read as well. They skimp on the stripping and other prep work and just slop on the paint. If you've got the time, space, and patience to strip everything off before hand, it may be a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Find a place that does MARPAT paintjobs... you'll be the envy of the site!!!

Does marpat come in spray cans?

That would be a hell of a stencil...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I painted my 81 fairmont flat black with the cheapest spraypaint I could buy from walmart.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I painted my 81 fairmont flat black with the cheapest spraypaint I could buy from walmart.

Just like OEM!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
We have already pulled off anything that was bolted on or clipped on to the body.  Like the mirrors, the trim, the emblems, the grille trim, all that stuff with the exception of the bumpers.

Basically I'm looking for someone to scuff up the paint that is on it now (purple) and shoot it a nice dark maroon like ox blood.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
depending on how much you care about it, you might want to go ahead and mask anything you don't want paint on.

But from what it sounds like you want it'd work.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Luvgunner, what breed of pooch is that in your avitar? Gordon?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I would say that it probably won't be that bad of a paint job if you mask it off and prep it yourself, I think they save most their money and time by simply painting over your old paint job and not spending hours taping everything off.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I would say that it probably won't be that bad of a paint job if you mask it off and prep it yourself, I think they save most their money and time by simply painting over your old paint job and not spending hours taping everything off.

Actually you might want to add the pre-paint treatment by taking all the wax off yourself, sand with fine grit to make sure the new paint adheres and then finish buff with 3M finish to blend and eliminate the runs after the spray.  This is about 4 hours work so not bad.

Requesting a very forgiving paint is also a good idea, however would assume most cheap jobs are doing that already.

Like the guys said, there is a reason you pay so much or so little but you can save if you know what you are doing and the guy can spray OK.

There's plenty of sites and good books on the topic.  

Tj
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Just FYI, if you've already stripped off things...why not sand and paint it yourself...Some years ago I did just that...bought a cheap airless sprayer, some sandpaper/primer/paint and shot that thing myself...the paint was kinda pricy for a college student..i think maybe $50 a gal or so...but I had enough paint to put 4-5 coats on and it looked pretty decent. Wet sand lightly between coats, let it cure in the sun and you'll be pretty surprised at the results I'll bet.  Still looked pretty good even three years later when I sold that car....Even if you have to buy the sprayer the whole project may only cost you $100 or so.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just FYI, if you've already stripped off things...why not sand and paint it yourself...Some years ago I did just that...bought a cheap airless sprayer, some sandpaper/primer/paint and shot that thing myself...the paint was kinda pricy for a college student..i think maybe $50 a gal or so...but I had enough paint to put 4-5 coats on and it looked pretty decent. Wet sand lightly between coats, let it cure in the sun and you'll be pretty surprised at the results I'll bet.  Still looked pretty good even three years later when I sold that car....Even if you have to buy the sprayer the whole project may only cost you $100 or so.

Yeah, what he said. Just looked at you location. Nevada is dry. No humidity problems. Just prep correctly and shoot it yourself. Paint won't cost that much from an auto paint store. A cheap spray gun is $20. A cheap compresser is less that $100. A pressure reducer is $10. Paint and supplies are less than $100. The lessons you brother will learn are priceless. A weekend and a 12 pack of sodas..... Worth a million
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top