Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 9:17:49 PM EDT
I'm in the MCSE bootcamp with intesne this very night...  Firsts tests tomorrow...

Not quite passing the web transcenders yet.

I know these things get alot of flack, but I've been doing this sort of work for awhile, and consider myself a decent IT guy...  but this stuff is rediculous...

What has been your experience with the transcenders???
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have. I'm an MCSE in NT 4.
They are pretty good, similar to the real thing.
If you can't pass them regularly, you ain't up to the real deal just yet.
Keep at it though. They are pretty much the best practice exams out there.
Seriously, don't quit. You can do it.
You have to realize this though, just passing an exam doesn't automatically
make you know everything there is to know about Microsoft networking.
The exams cover only a fraction of the whole realm of MS systems and how they work, break,
troubleshooting, and fixing of them. Read TechNet so you can see what I mean.
Know the theory behind it all. Once you do, the exams are easy as hell.
I would recommend you specialize in Exchange and SQL.
They seem to always be requirements in job openings.
After that, get Cisco certs, then if you feel like it, learn UNIX and some programming.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I did the NT4 a while back, and had no problems witha single Server test with an exam cram book...  Just no time for the full MCSE

I know they have cramped down on difficulty after being accused of hnding out NT4 MCSE and ending up with folks that couldn't even map a network drive...  I have met a couple myself.

I have been running an AD domain with exchange 2K for about a year now (was previously linux), and got a little experince with an NT and exchange 5.5 a couple years before that...

I also have a CCNA, but that was one test, and I had lots of stufy time for that...  Didn't use transcender then...

Everyone in the classis having a hard time with the transcender, but this instructor says that they are intentionally making it more difficult to learn ya to pick out details in the questoins...
Most of the ones we're missing we realize it was becuse of mundane details, not becasue we don't get the content...

Just need to focus I guess..

Anyone else done an 2000 or 2003 tests??

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Transcender test questions are funny

Your company, eastsockco.net, has 2 domains, east.eastsockco.net and west.eastsockco.net. West.eastsockco.net has 500 Windows 2000 Professional workstations and 2 Windows 2000 Servers. East.eastsockco.net has 1000 Windows NT 4 workstations and one Windows 2000 Server. Both Domains have 2 Domain Controllers and 1 Global Catalog each. Lately, several users are complaining of slow login performance.

What color underwear is your network administrator wearing today? (Chose the best answer)

1. Green
2. Blue
3. Orange
4. White
5. Fire 20 Employees
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I think the transcenders are a great study material to help you know if you're ready.  Alone, they won't get you your cert, but they'll help.  Used them many times.

Beware the certification boot camp unless you have some experience to go along with it.  I've seen more than one MCSE lose their job after BSing their way through the interview.  Then they get to work and it's, "Ok Mr. MCSE, go fix that cluster server."  "Ummmm, we didn't go over that in the two week track."  "K then, bye bye."

As crazy as it sounds, the "for dummies" certification books are actually fairly well written.  There is also "self test software" that is sort of like the transcenders.  I used them for my CCNA but I like the transcenders much better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Good study material in that they check to see if you knwo the concept, or if you know how to pick the "microsoft answer" of 4 viable alternatives???  I've seen some weird ones on the transcender; like one where deleting backups on an old disk was preffered over using another disk with plenty of free space, and both beign ntfs....  The question never said anything about "backup data," so how would you know if you were really"authorized" to delete this "backup data" without loosing your job?  Are they tryign to tell you that backups are menat for removasble media here?   Or did ?I just get a junk question???    

Well wish me luck guys!

I'm on the way down to take 270 and 290!

Not sure why, but I feel much more confident after getting some ZZZs

Gonna review my notes over at denny's next dorr, and then try and tackel these the "microsoft way"
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Passed the first one!

score of 812... good enough i guess....

Wish me luck on exam 2!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I told you.
You can do it.
Don't quit.
Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Transcender test questions are funny

Your company, eastsockco.net, has 2 domains, east.eastsockco.net and west.eastsockco.net. West.eastsockco.net has 500 Windows 2000 Professional workstations and 2 Windows 2000 Servers. East.eastsockco.net has 1000 Windows NT 4 workstations and one Windows 2000 Server. Both Domains have 2 Domain Controllers and 1 Global Catalog each. Lately, several users are complaining of slow login performance.

What color underwear is your network administrator wearing today? (Chose the best answer)

1. Green
2. Blue
3. Orange
4. White
5. Fire 20 Employees

The correct answer is...
6. The bosses daughters smiley face ones. Oh and finish that logon script that makes the HR software send out pink slips to all the salespeople then put it into the Senior VPs profile. And don't forget to move the game server to a different subnet; the security auditors come in next week.  And another thing, dial down the bandwidth on the odd ports on the switches this time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top