Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2004 7:01:16 PM EDT
It's about time you elected a common sense man..

Canada
Prime Minister Paul Martin says he believes Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and they've fallen into terrorists' hands. Martin said the threat of terrorism is even greater now than it was following the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, because terrorists have acquired nuclear, chemical and biological weapons from the toppled Iraqi leader.

"The fact is that there is now, we know well, a proliferation of nuclear weapons, and that many weapons that Saddam Hussein had, we don't know where they are," Martin told a crowd of about 700 university researchers and business leaders in Montreal. "That means terrorists have access to all of that."

'NOT OUT OF IT YET'

The PM's comments run counter to opinions expressed by leaders in such countries as France and Germany who have accused the U.S. and Britain of fudging evidence of WMDs to justify the war against Iraq.

When asked to assess the threat level since Saddam was captured by U.S. troops, Martin said he believes it has increased.

"I believe that terrorism will be, for our generation, what the Cold War was to generations that preceded us," he said. "I don't think we're out of it yet."

Martin disagreed with former prime minister Jean Chretien, who publicly blamed poverty for terrorism and the Sept. 11 attacks. "The cause of terrorism is not poverty, it is hatred."

He said he'll lead the charge to convince countries to join forces to combat terrorism and make sure the Third World has the tools to stamp it out.

Martin said he's lobbying the international community to set up an informal organization to tackle world issues such as terrorism.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW Never thought Ide see any positive comments from the frozen north!?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow. Might have to stop hating Canada now. He must be from the B.C. area.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
We knew that had some good people up there,,,this proves it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
He's blaming the US, nimrod.  He's saying the invasion of Iraq has made things worse.

At least he's not spouting the "Bush lied, people died" canard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
He's still a liberal POS but maybe there's some hope.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He's blaming the US, nimrod.  He's saying the invasion of Iraq has made things worse.

I don't think he's blaming the US, but rather just pointing out a fact. The invasion of IRAQ may have had an unforseen consequence of giving access to NBC weapons to terrorist  groups.

Second thing, Paul Martin was not elected, he was given the job by his party when the elected nimrod retired. His futur remains to be seen...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think he's blaming the US, but rather just pointing out a fact. The invasion of IRAQ may have had an unforseen consequence of giving access to NBC weapons to terrorist  groups.

Second thing, Paul Martin was not elected, he was given the job by his party when the elected nimrod retired. His futur remains to be seen...

Prime Ministers are NEVER elected.

They are appointed by a vote of the legislative branch (parliment).

The position is similar to Senate Majority Leader here, except the PM has executive powers...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Where'd he say that?
I think what he said is son-of-a-bitch-goddamn-right-on!

Now if we can hook up right with this guy, we can get busy kickin'-ass and takin' names again instead pussyfooting around.

It sounds like Prime Minister Paul Martin calls it like it is and that's the kind of ally We and The President need right now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where'd he say that?

Read between the lines, and know his audience.

Martin's an anglo, so he isn't obnoxious like his predecessor Chetrien, but they belong to the same Liberal party. this is not a pro-Bush proclamation by any stretch of the imagination. Any Canadians here agree with my take on Martin's comments? Disagree?

I dont regard this as a positive statement at all.  This is along the lines of the complaints we hear about there never being any terrorists in Iraq until after the US invaded.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
was he elected? No
Does he do the willing of his constituents (the people?) No
Will he be elected this spring for a full term? God I hope to Hell now

He does not support th eUS, only gives lip service to try and reopen the Borders to Canadian Beef, which he only cares about for the fate of those Eastern Beef producers

He does not support the farmer, or small business, or the People

He is Anti gun, could not care about Beef farmers, chicken farmers, softwood lumber exporters, or many of the other things that affect the West. He is an Eastern Puppet

Though I do beleivepersonally that Saddam had Weapons of destruction, Mass destruction, and everythign in between, and that they are now in tha hands of terrorists, neglectign the fact that that is what Saddam was
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Well crap...I thought the guy showed promise. Do you Canucks have ANY so-called conservatives anywhere near the parliment? Are they electable or presentable??
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm still not going back.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prime Ministers are NEVER elected.

They are appointed by a vote of the legislative branch (parliment).

The position is similar to Senate Majority Leader here, except the PM has executive powers...

You know more about this than I do  
But,,, when elections are voted, you know who the party leaders are and who will ultimatly become prime Minister and this has a big influence on who you will vote for. When I vote, I don't vote for the guy/gal representing my district but rather for the party he/she represents thus the leader...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#14]
raven,

Thank you for the kind-hearted bitch-slap!
No, I didn't know about the man or his 'Big Beef' connections!

I just thought the statement sounded pro-US and truthful.
I was ignorant and hoodwinked.

I appreciate being enlightened.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
In response to the threat of global terrorism, Canada unveils it's state of the art defense system:

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#16]
"with their beady little eyes and their flapping heads!"
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok.  Assume that Saddam did have WMD's and we didn't invade.  As time went along, he would be producing more WMD's and eventually a larger quantity would be available for distribution.  Assume that he didn't have WMD's.  He was still threatening invasion of Kuwait and Saudie Arabia.  We were continually forced to keep troops over there and respond to every action Saddam took.  Either way, Bush did the right thing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew up fourty minutes from the Canandian border and visited their at least once a month. I never really noticed any difference between Americans and Canadians.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If he feels so strongly why doesn't he send a division or two to Iraq to help out the War on Terror.

Wouldn't that be just about their whole army?  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top