Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 4:56:15 PM EDT
I've been thinking of sending out my resume but I don't know what I'm qualified to do. Who do I send it to? When I went to BlackwaterUSA.com they only seem to be recruting SF types and that I'm not. I did spend 3 years as an Infantryman and Company Armorer with 82nd but never went anywhere overseas. Now here I am 25yr old, no wife, kids, ect.... making a whoping $13hr setting up respiratory equipment and I have no passion to do that or direction to do anything else. So though I have nothing to bitch about really, the stories of $80-$150 a yr tax free are starting to make me wonder. Plus I kind of feel I didn't do something I was supposed to when I was in the ARMY and that bothers me.

Has anyone been over there that can point me in the right direction? What kind of job might I be able to obtain and how much would it pay. Whats life as a contactor like aside from deadly.

Thanks for any help!

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask this guy what he thinks...

I would think unless you got someone to watch your six you best stay home.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a job offer with KBR as a cargo handler in Iraq.  bottom line: 7 days a week 10-12 hour days, living in a gp medium.  get access to mwr, px.  full cigna helthcare is 120/mo and pay at that rate comes up to about $100k/yr  $80k is tax free.  get a 10 day vacation every 4 months, they will pay up to $800 for a plane ticket and your 10 days start when you are feet dry at your destination and end when you go wheels up on your way back.  I'm thinking about it, but I was kinda hoping for security myself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_051104/content/across_the_fruited_plain_2.Par.0001.ImageFile.jpg

I would have to strongly dissagree with this post. I don't know anything about this guy, but as an American I'd love to take revenge against those that killed him.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_051104/content/across_the_fruited_plain_2.Par.0001.ImageFile.jpg

best fix: get a job that stays on the camp: I.E. cargo handler
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you own kevlar turtle neck sweaters?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have to strongly dissagree with this post. I don't know anything about this guy, but as an American I'd love to take revenge against those that killed him.

Disagree with what? You want to get revenge, then enlist. You go over as a one man force and you'll end up in coalition custody just like Mr. Berg was prior to him being released then kidnapped. My comment was "unless you got someone to watch your six you best stay home" makes total sense.
I have nothing against Mr. Berg. I just wish he had someone there to help him out when he got snatched.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Have Security Clearance will travel....

Here are a few of the companies that are onsite here in KAF:

KBR, Raytheon, TAMSCO, Northrop Grumman, ITT Systems, Data Path,  and AAFES. With KBR by far being the largest here.  

I babysit commo equipment and am going to make just over $130k ($92k of it tax free) this year.  There is better money in Iraq, but it's no good if you end up dead.  

My job is faily danger  free, but I DO NOT leave the  Air Base.  We have an occasional rocket attack, but my biggest concern is  my monthly battle with explosive diarrhea.

I sleep in a 6 man tent on a cot, and we have the usual communal shower and poop tents.  I work 60+ hours a week and spend my free time reading and sleeping.  Pretty boring stuff.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
GDog, give BWUSA a call and ask. Lay out your stats and see if it's worth yours and their time to pursue. IIRC, they have appx 3 tiers of guys they're looking for and if you have infantry and armorer skills you should have a shot at least.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#9]
No...You don't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top