Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 2:43:52 PM EDT
We've now moved out of the hellhole that is the main office, and into the jobsite trailer.  For a variety of reasons this means that our hours are now 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM (officially, probably later some nights).
One of my employees has recently purchased a puppy, under the misguided impression that she'd be bringing th puppy to the jobsite with her to work.  Of course, not bothering to ask me about this before she buys the dog, she just assumes that it would be ok.  She asked me after it was too late, I said hell-fuck-no and she pouted for two days.

So today as we're leaving she tells me "so I'm not going to be able to be on time every day."
me: why not?
her: because I have to take my dog to daycare every day and the earliest they open is 7AM.'
me: this is my problem how?
her: because it means I'm going to be late
me: are you kidding?
her: no, I'm going to be 5-10 minutes late every day
me: that's fine, but anything more than 10 min and we're going to have issues.

We leave, and 2 minutes later she calls me on the nextel
her: are you mad
me: no, of course not, I just think it's ridiculous that you would even think that taking a dog to daycare would be a rational reason for being late
her: well, it's a puppy and I can't leave him home all day

at this point I'm still not pissed, I am really just awestruck.  I've told her that using a dog as an excuse for being late is unnaceptable, so she's trying to convince me (badly) of why it is?  This has to be a joke right?

I don't know whether to call this post a rant or what, because I'm still kind of in shock.  I'm not captain punctual by any means, which of course makes it hard for me to ride her ass, but then I'm going to wind up staying late more nights than not too, so I think I'm entitled.  She's a clock-watcher, that also has to leave at 3 for "night" school some days, so I don't think it's too much to expect her to be on time.  Apparently she does.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, we should all put our personal lives and needs aside for employment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It never ceases to amaze me the people who get dogs that dont have the time or will to take proper care of them. If you have to take your dog to doggie day care you shouldnt have a dog.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Fire her self absorbed ass.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn... this is... so... painful... have to... agree... with... Norman...

Employment comes before pets. But not family members. And I LOVE dogs, so do not think I am anti-pet. But I do have to say that I have had it with employers who demand employee loyalty and yet offer little of their loyalty in return. It's all about the bottom line with many...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If it was my decision, she never would have been hired.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I got to go with norm on this too.  She sounds like a space cadet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately, she's taking advantage of your good nature and patience.  No one taught her the importance of meeting commitments to other people - she's working a job for which you owe her a paycheck, but she doesn't feel one iota of obligation to you or your employer.

It will likely get worse unless you end it now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see part of her argument.  Assuming that she could take the dog to work is just dumb.  If she was hired on to work a schedule that allowed her to take care of the dog without being late, it sounds like she had things under control at one point.  The schedule changed, and it had an effect on her life.  If the schedule change is the thing that's making it difficult for her to deal with the dog, than I think it's not unreasonable for her to ask for a slight adjustment (offering to stay later, of course).  Clearly, it would be unreasonable to suddenly change her schedule from 4 am to 1 pm; it sounds like it just so happens that this minor adjustment conflicts with preexisting circumstances in her life.  It would be different if she signed on to work that schedule and then asked for an adjustment.  Of course, I may not be interpreting the timeline of your story correctly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
this is typical of the US today...that anyone would THINK this is a)your problem and b) anything approaching a rational excuse is insanity.  

You should have said: fine, just take 10 minutes off your LUNCH every day to make up for it.  I'd love to be there for THAT lol.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Let her bring the dog to work, then  right in front of her shoot it, and say "NOW YOU GUNNA BE ON TIME, BITCH"   Then kick her in the stomach and laugh.  bet you no one comes in l8 any more.  

Ahhh   If only life was that easy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, but would you hit that?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Let her bring the dog to work, then  right in front of her shoot it...........

Norman74 isn't a cop...............
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Ever heard the one where BOTH parents have to pick up the sick kid???  How about the stay at home or PT mom, and the Dad, the FULLTIME bread winner is somehow on the "hook" for picking up sick kids?  Sounds more like Dad doesn't want to be at work......so he says he has to pick them up....ugh....riiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhttttttt..........

Or the girl in our group who is NEVER on time, comes in at 9:30-Noon regularly, has a shitty attitude and has never had a lick of management experience that just got promoted a couple months ago to "billing manager"....she calls and says she needs to be at home to receive a couch.  We ALL know her fiance doesn't have a job.......can't HE take care of getting the couch?  To top that all off, she had called out sick Monday.  

Interesting times we live in......  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd shit can her... Hate to be soo blunt.. But WTF???? This is the same pussy mentality that id destroying our country..

I know pets ar cool and all.. But if they don't fit in your life.. don't get one... And when you do get one.. Deal with it... You can leave that dog alone.. sure it will piss and crap all over hte place.. ut she wanted a dog, she will have to deal with it..

Come on America, stop being pussies.....10, 20, 50 years ago there was no such thing as Dog day care.. And america was a better place...

Rant off!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Day care for a dog?

Why didn't she just have a kid?

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let her bring the dog to work, then  right in front of her shoot it...........

Norman74 isn't a cop...............

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Hourly employee?

Timeclock her ass and pay her by the minute.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Is she hot? We need pics
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#21]
So tell her to set her alarm clock earlier

Why lower expectations just because she decided to buy a mutt?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Document details of the event.

Include that she lacked the forethought to communicate an event (buying the dog) that could potentially impact her employee performance.

Build a paper trail for her.

I feel badly for the dog.  Unless she (the owner) is hot, then I'd lick her when she gets out of the shower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]

makes it hard for me to ride her ass

heeehh, heeehhh, heeehhh
you said hard
heeehh, heeehhh, heeehhh
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, is this your assistant you talked about some moons ago?

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Women with dogs are a little off (not all of them, just the ones who's lives revolve around them).  Most of these women cannot relate to other humans so they show their affection to a dog.  They are afraid of social commitments so they use their dog as an excuse "Oh, a new year's eve party?  I can't come, I have to take care of my DOG! I don't want him to be lonely!" Riiight.  Want to go out for drinks after work? "Oh no, I have to go home and feed my DOG!" So, you have no social life because of your damn dog?  Crazy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey, my boss doesn't care when I come in...if at all.  

He never complains if I backtalk or get shitty with him...he never complains if I'm on this stupid site too long either.  

Hmmm, what a great guy.  

I love being self-employed.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, is this your assistant you talked about some moons ago?

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Doggie fucking daycare..

Yea man, that crazy bitch needs to go.  One way or the other.  Paper trails aint hard to come by with those types, they practically write themselves.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I think you're overreacting, but not by much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I think you're overreacting, but not by much.

I haven't really reacted at all.  This in combination with the "silly" email I got from my architect the other day are really trying my patience with these idiots.  I wonder if people have always been like this, or if they have changed.

and yes, it's doggie day care.  This is something that my tattooed redneck scooter-trash ass had never even heard she started taking her dog there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#31]
You're the boss. You're trying to get work done, not run a home for wayward, irresponsible women. If she does not fit, she must then quit. Or get canned....
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Norman- ya gotta understand man. She can't go having the dog have trauma and stuff from licking it's butt all day. It has to be educated and trained to be a productive member of society.

On the other hand, why don't you tell her she has two days to work sometihng out with the doggy daycare to get it in earlier so she can get to work on time, or change her hours to make her work over to make up all the time. You're not under any obligation to allow her to continue to come in late. Keep all this in mind when it comes raise time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#33]
We had a similar thing happen at my place of employment a few months ago.
Girl goes back to college.
Girl has to have a schedule change to make it.
2 people are nice enough to change their schedules (and really make sacrifices) to get it to happen.
Girl quits school.
Employer tries to change schedule back.
Girl overestimates her value to us and threatens to quit if we don't leave things as-is.
Hasta la Vista.
It was one of the better days at work recently.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I think anyone who misses work to take their animal to doggy day care shouldn't own a dog in the first place.  Its not like she made mistakes in life and is now a single mother who needs to take her kid to daycare, no shes a dumb bitch who made the choice to adopt a pet, when in reality shes not suitable to care for it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#35]
let her bring the dog to work, train it to attack white helmets....
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Is it really going to kill you to let her start 10 minutes later?  Is the job not going to get done?  Are lives being destroyed, fortunes lost or is your porta potty factory not completed if she shows up a little later?
10 minutes is not a big deal, you already said you are staying late so let her stay late too.  If you give her the 10 minutes she'll be happy and be a much more productive worker.  Piss her off and she'll think your an a$$hole and won't do any extra $hit for you.  Make her feel like she owes you big time for your extreme generosity and benevelance.
BTW, if my boss told me I couldn't come in 10 minutes late and make it up, he'd find a steaming pile of crap on his desk the next day with a KMA note sticking in it.  And I'd still have my government contract job.

Fritz

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Just take the time off of her lunch.    Better yet, build the paper trail and fire her ASAP.  It ain't going to get any better.  Sure, 10 minutes isn't much, but it sure gives you insight into  her work ethic and it seems to suck.  Coming in late, leaving early, if she is new, just you wait for what she has in store for you!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#39]
The issue here is WHY she's going to be late as much as it is the fact that she's going to be late.  I also don't for one second believe that it will stick to being "only" 10 minutes.  I also don't believe that it actually takes well over 30 minutes to get from her "doggy day care" to the jobsite.

This is one of those situations where if you are good at your job, you can get away with more.  She is brand new, with no experience or educational background to merit her even having this position.  Also she is a clock watcher at the end of the day, which means I get to be a clock watcher at the beginning.  Hell, she not only bolts at 5 every day, but tries to get out early almost every day, even when she doesn't have school.  She complains about having nothing to do, yet is incapable of doing anything productive.

Unfortunately for her I have to assistant PMs.  Her and another guy.  The guy has the educational background to be in the position he's in, and does very a very good job for someone so new.  Having a good worker to contrast a lazy one against does not do well for her reputation.

In general I don't really care what time people come to and leave from work, if they get their job done.  However if you are incapable of doing anything without my constant supervision, and without me having to constantly find little menial tasks to occupy you with, then you have to stay the full 8, and you have to be there for the hours I dictate.

And yes, having her there is better than having no one.  But she's taking up space and a salary that someone actually qualified for the job could be.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:24:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The issue here is WHY she's going to be late as much as it is the fact that she's going to be late.  I also don't for one second believe that it will stick to being "only" 10 minutes.  I also don't believe that it actually takes well over 30 minutes to get from her "doggy day care" to the jobsite.

This is one of those situations where if you are good at your job, you can get away with more.  She is brand new, with no experience or educational background to merit her even having this position.  Also she is a clock watcher at the end of the day, which means I get to be a clock watcher at the beginning.  Hell, she not only bolts at 5 every day, but tries to get out early almost every day, even when she doesn't have school.  She complains about having nothing to do, yet is incapable of doing anything productive.

Unfortunately for her I have to assistant PMs.  Her and another guy.  The guy has the educational background to be in the position he's in, and does very a very good job for someone so new.  Having a good worker to contrast a lazy one against does not do well for her reputation.

In general I don't really care what time people come to and leave from work, if they get their job done.  However if you are incapable of doing anything without my constant supervision, and without me having to constantly find little menial tasks to occupy you with, then you have to stay the full 8, and you have to be there for the hours I dictate.

And yes, having her there is better than having no one.  But she's taking up space and a salary that someone actually qualified for the job could be.

Welcome to corporate America!  This is the kinda shit that goes on all over the place.  Funny part is, she shouldn't have the damn dog it sounds like.  You say she's also in school?  How much time does this stupid bitch have to spend with it in the first place?  2 days a week?  Little does she know those damn dogs eat the whole house for months while you're gone!  She gets what she deserves.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:38:56 AM EDT
[#41]
The obvious solution is to let her GO. Time is Money, Money is Time. Add those 10+ minutes everyday she is late will turn into a considerable amount of loss productivity and money.Pay her for the time she's on the clock does not solve the problem.I am assuming you have DEADLINES and this employee is already working against the grain.Apparently she does not have her priorities straight.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:21:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#43]
My answer is sure, you can be as late as you want, but your going to get docked for it.
Simple concept:  " we pay you for your work while you are at work, working."

If your not here we are not going to pay you.

If your not working while at work, we will find someone else to do your work and pay them.

Can you miss a little work, sure, will we fire you probably not, if you like your job show up and work if you don't, look somewhere else.

I am sure that I can give you a good reference, except for the part about showing up and doing your job!!!  

Tell her to go to Burger King, they are always hiring!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#44]
NEVER give a bad reference.. If it gets back to the person you're referring they can sue your hairy butt, whether or not the criticism was warranted.  The way to get the point across to the guy on the other side of the phone is this:

"Jane Doe worked for us from XXX to XXX.  That is all I have to say about her."  That will tell them everything they need to know.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Does not sound good. The Magic 8 Ball says future problems lay ahead with this employee.

Have you had to fire anyone yet? That's always a treat. I've screwed myself before because I hate shit canning people.

I'd gladly fire her.  Unfortunately it's not in my job description.  I had no say in hiring her, or taking her on for my project, and I've tried to have her removed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Is it really going to kill you to let her start 10 minutes later?  Is the job not going to get done?  Are lives being destroyed, fortunes lost or is your porta potty factory not completed if she shows up a little later?
10 minutes is not a big deal, you already said you are staying late so let her stay late too.  If you give her the 10 minutes she'll be happy and be a much more productive worker.  Piss her off and she'll think your an a$$hole and won't do any extra $hit for you.  Make her feel like she owes you big time for your extreme generosity and benevelance.
BTW, if my boss told me I couldn't come in 10 minutes late and make it up, he'd find a steaming pile of crap on his desk the next day with a KMA note sticking in it.  And I'd still have my government contract job.

Fritz

Nice to know you can rejoice in the ability to do something that disrepectful and insane to your boss and be "protected" from the consequences.  

Not union are ya?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does not sound good. The Magic 8 Ball says future problems lay ahead with this employee.

Have you had to fire anyone yet? That's always a treat. I've screwed myself before because I hate shit canning people.

I'd gladly fire her.  Unfortunately it's not in my job description.  I had no say in hiring her, or taking her on for my project, and I've tried to have her removed.

Well don't worry you'll still somehow be blamed when she finally really screws the pooch

That's already happening

"I know we hired you a complete incomptent, that doesn't really want to be here, and has neither the inherent skills & talents, educational backgroun, or experience to merit us hiring her, but it's your job to train her."
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I take my dog to work everyday.  Makes the day much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top