Posted: 5/11/2004 12:37:53 AM EDT
Original story posted in the Brothers of the Shield forum:

LAT - Ex-San Bernardino Calif. Sheriff Admits Guilt on Stolen Gun Charges
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]
another story of being above the law
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#2]
...and your point to post it in several different threads is why???

To make all cops look bad?  This, in my opinion, is trolling, and also it's a dupe thread so I think it should be locked.  

On a lighter note I wonder what kind of good shit he got!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
jadams951: Nope, not trying to make anybody in LE look bad etc. Its public record. Just thought that some folks in LE would be interested. Just like exploding guns, exploding automotvie airbags etc. Where else have you seen this story? This is just news.

I posted this in the LE forum because this was LE related, but I also put it in the GD forum because not all of us make it a point to go to the LE forum. This story will roll off GD very quickly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
It one of the perks of the job.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
different laws apply to police than the little people.

NO JAIL TIME????????????????   BULLSHIT

Protecting their own.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

NO JAIL TIME????????????????   BULLSHIT

Protecting their own.

TXL

Nope. Bear in mind that he probably has zero criminal record, that there is every chance that few or no specific charges could be proven  (you can't convict someone of "stealing a bunch of guns over several decades" and we don't know if there was deal underlying the return of guns still in his possession), that there were serious statute of limitation problems, that the practice (albeit on a smaller scale) was probably nearly universal in 19 friggin 64, and the fact that the guy is 74 years old. Furthermore, when you take a step back, this is really an embezzlement case, and the disposition is not out of line for a wobbly embezzlement case with an old defendant who has no other record. It is a lenient disposition, but not unusually so, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#7]
To bad his sons fucked it up for him.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#8]
When the local DA is done with him, on the state charges, then the BATF should prosecute him on the federal charges.  He belongs in prison.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Furthermore, when you take a step back, this is really an embezzlement case, and the disposition is not out of line for a wobbly embezzlement case with an old defendant who has no other record. It is a lenient disposition, but not unusually so, in my opinion.

So when the cops catch me with a full-auto M-2 or equivalent, I'll let them know it's really just a wobbly embezzlement case. And besides, I'll be 50 in a month. That ought to count for something.

Does anyone besides me smellHORSE SHIT   ?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nope. Bear in mind that he probably has zero criminal record, that there is every chance that few or no specific charges could be proven  (you can't convict someone of "stealing a bunch of guns over several decades" and we don't know if there was deal underlying the return of guns still in his possession), that there were serious statute of limitation problems, that the practice (albeit on a smaller scale) was probably nearly universal in 19 friggin 64, and the fact that the guy is 74 years old. Furthermore, when you take a step back, this is really an embezzlement case, and the disposition is not out of line for a wobbly embezzlement case with an old defendant who has no other record. It is a lenient disposition, but not unusually so, in my opinion.

If there is any violation of NFA regulations, they should send him to jail.    I gotta jump through hoops to do this stuff, and this guy just "shops" for the same thing in the evidence locker.    lame.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#11]
ps- this is what someone that is guilty of embezzlement got- and it fits the crime.

www.nuggetnews.com/archives/20030312/front17.shtml

I don't think the old 74 yr old's punishment matches the "embezzlement" crime.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there is any violation of NFA regulations, they should send him to jail.

Correct. But those are federal laws. the local DA is prosecuting him on the state charges.  It's up to BATF to prosecute him for any violations of federal law.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When the local DA is done with him, on the state charges, then the BATF should prosecute him on the federal charges.  He belongs in prison.

you're right.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]

NO JAIL TIME???????????????? BULLSHIT

Protecting their own.

TXL

Tex is RIGHT!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
[
If there is any violation of NFA regulations, they should send him to jail.    I gotta jump through hoops to do this stuff, and this guy just "shops" for the same thing in the evidence locker.    lame.

There may be NFA violations, but I'm guessing that after all that time as an LEO there's no way he turned in any guns without some kind of immunity deal.  And, again, as infuriating as it to find out that your watchdog has been eating your chickens, the guy is seventy-four years old with (I'll bet) no prior record. My point isn't that what he did is OK - it isn't. I would howling mad to find out that my treasured Mason-Farquhar Carbine in .406 Sasketoon Short had been recovered but then swiped by the sheriff.  However, giving somebody of his age, with his record, a soft disposition on the facts as published is not outside the norm. That is a fact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top