Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2004 7:30:32 PM EDT

Went under the knife today. I am really surprised at how well it went. I am tired, but 3 hours after surgery I made my daughter walk 2 miles with me. I started to tighten up, so the walk helped loosen me up and I feel much better. My last hernia surgery didn't go so well. I was a bilateral and I have 5 inches of scar to prove it. I couldn't stand up for 4 days after that surgery and I was hoping this one wouldn't end up being as bad as that one. Fortunately for me, it went really well and I feel pretty good. But I am so sleepy. Lots'of icing, Darvocet and getting up and around seem to help.

Anyone have any remidies on how to get this sedation out of my system. I am still tired from when they put me out and I don't think the Darvocet is helping me to keep from wanting to sleep.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You're saying you walked two miles the same day you had major surgery?
Am I missing something about Herneas?

In either case, get well soon! Best wishes!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You're saying you walked two miles the same day you had major surgery?
Am I missing something about Herneas?

In either case, get well soon! Best wishes!

Yep, 2 miles. But I don't know if I would go so far as calling it a major surgery. I do have cut about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches long on my stomach and they repaired it with mesh. But I am not hurting like I did with my back surgery or my other hernia surgery. And pain, walking 2 to 3 miles out of the woods with 3 broken ribs and a collapsed lung, then having a chest tube put in without anesthesia, now that hurt! I knew it was going to be bad when the doctor said, "This is going to hurt a LOT. You have to lay still and don't move your body, no matter how bad this hurts. Try to think of  something else." This was a walk in a park compared to that. Besides, if you don't move after hernia surgery, your whole stomach stiffens up and it hurts much worse.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad you are doing good.

Walking the same day is amazing, I know it was only a 1 1/2" cut, but all muscles attach to the abs.

I had back surgery and had several cuts including a 19 inthe abs.  Took me 5 days just to stand up!  6 weeks to walk by myself.

I think you might be feeling some pain when the meds wear off....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I knew a guy that had hernia surgery. After about 6 months, the screen thing broke loose, fell into his sack and he had to get operated on again.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I knew a guy that had hernia surgery. After about 6 months, the screen thing broke loose, fell into his sack and he had to get operated on again.

Your just a ray of sunshine with that thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top