Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2004 6:40:00 PM EDT
Two questions. First, emails sent home from my wifes computer at work will not have the attachments. Why not? They send fine to other addresses. Second, when I defrag my computer, it will defrag several times. The other night, I started defragging at 7:00 pm, and at 7:00 am it was STILL doing it. WTF is going on here? This started a few weeks ago, and I don't know why. Any ideas here?
AB
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Two questions. First, emails sent home from my wifes computer at work will not have the attachments. Why not? They send fine to other addresses.

First guess would be, how large are the attachments? Does your e-mail/ISP filter attachments based on the file ext? Do you have a maximum attached file size/mail box size?

Second, when I defrag my computer, it will defrag several times. The other night, I started defragging at 7:00 pm, and at 7:00 am it was STILL doing it. WTF is going on here? This started a few weeks ago, and I don't know why. Any ideas here?
AB

Clean up your temp files, delete all files in your temp folders, and your temporary internet files. Then defrag again. You might buy a copy of Diskeeper, it is lots better than the OEM Windows version.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife may have size/content/virus scan filter on attachments. Or maybe they're being reviewed by the Homeland Security department.

For the defrag--have you run a spyware check lately? You didn't post specs but maybe your computer is an older configuration? Sometimes older machines with large hard drives take a looong time. My database server at work takes all weekend to defrag.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...The other night, I started defragging at 7:00 pm, and at 7:00 am it was STILL doing it. WTF is going on here? This started a few weeks ago, and I don't know why. Any ideas here?
AB

Sounds like a program is writing to your hardrive while you're trying to defrag. Most likely (self-installed) culprit is any anti-virus software  or spyware/trojans/etc for malicious software that installed on your machine without your knowledge.

First rule of thumb for Windows defragging: Shut off every program except for the barest minimum of processes/services needed to run Windows. If it's not anti-virus software, you need to check your machine for spyware/adware/etc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget to shut off screen saver when defraging.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...The other night, I started defragging at 7:00 pm, and at 7:00 am it was STILL doing it. WTF is going on here? This started a few weeks ago, and I don't know why. Any ideas here?
AB

Sounds like a program is writing to your hardrive while you're trying to defrag. Most likely (self-installed) culprit is any anti-virus software  or spyware/trojans/etc for malicious software that installed on your machine without your knowledge.

First rule of thumb for Windows defragging: Shut off every program except for the barest minimum of processes/services needed to run Windows. If it's not anti-virus software, you need to check your machine for spyware/adware/etc.

Bingo.  Shut off all other programs, including applications that run in the background.  These programs will read/write files to the hard disk which causes the Defrag to restart.  Usually if it restarts 10 times, it will just stop and let you know that it's restarted 10 times and if you want to continue or not.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Defrag appears solved then?  As for the attachment issue.  If you are using Outlook Express, often after an update it will not allow you to view attachments.  As a non M$ product user I can't remember exactly where you change the setting but I believe it if you go to "Tools" then "Options" then the "Security" tab you should see something about viewing attachments.  Just another case of M$ trying to save you from yourself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Regarding file size, the attachments are small, and the wife can send files to other addresses with no problem. I close all programs except Explorer and Systray, when defragging. I have no screensaver running either. I use Ad-aware regularly. I am using 98 Plus! (yeah I know) I will try dumping the temp files and see what happens. Thanks for yer help gents.
AB
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#8]
RE: Defragging issue--

Try using Spybot Search N Destroy in addition to Adaware. Sounds like your PC might be infected. Also make sure that Adaware and Spybot are updated with the latest libraries/definitions/updates as well.

Good luck.

SPYBOT
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Two questions. First, emails sent home from my wifes computer at work will not have the attachments. Why not?
AB

What ISP do you use?

AOHell?

I say that because AOH has a habit of stripping attachments sent from 'outside the pond' so to speak...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
RE: Defragging issue--

Try using Spybot Search N Destroy in addition to Adaware. Sounds like your PC might be infected. Also make sure that Adaware and Spybot are updated with the latest libraries/definitions/updates as well.

Good luck.

SPYBOT

I do back up Ad-Aware with Spybot. I am hooked up with qwest, I called them and they checked everything from their end and said we had no problem.
AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top