Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/23/2021 12:11:24 AM EDT

A 73-year-old woman who was directing her husband as he backed an SUV down the couple’s Falls Church, Virginia, driveway was killed Sunday evening when the man lost control of the vehicle and struck her, according to police.

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2021/02/woman-dead-in-falls-church-after-being-struck-by-car-in-driveway/
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never met anyone who put down a dog to soon or quit driving to soon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
"It just went crazy!  I didn't do anything!  There was something wrong with the car!"
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Land of the free. Home of the brave.

Personal responsibility be like it do.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
South Park - Grey Dawn horror trailer
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A 73-year-old woman who was directing her husband as he backed an SUV down the couple’s Falls Church, Virginia, driveway was killed Sunday evening when the man lost control of the vehicle and struck her, according to police.

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2021/02/woman-dead-in-falls-church-after-being-struck-by-car-in-driveway/
View Quote

It varies widely.  Of course there are some that should have never had a license in the first place regardless of age.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#6]
OP may be too old to drive too...

'09 join date...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:46:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My sister and I had a hell of a time getting my mom’s license yanked. It actually took us a couple of years. She was never a great driver to begin with, but she started having scapes and dents on her bumpers all the time. She never knew where they came from...

We finally got her doc to make her go for a senior’s driving test. They had full authority to take her license. She failed the test badly. The woman was actually scared on the drive.

My mom was pissed at us. She eventually got over it. I didn’t want her to kill anyone, or herself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Stand to the side....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#9]
My Dad was driving into his 90s. I turned him into California DMV for a drivers test. Shortly thereafter he called me and told me that he was told to come in for a drivers test which he failed. He was pissed about being picked on because he was old.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#10]
When I worked as a bagger in my teens we 2 cars, months apart crash in to the front of the store, both where old guys, each one claimed their car was defective, it was the same cause both times, they had it in drive instead of reverse thought the accelerator was the brake.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Dad was driving into his 90s. I turned him into California DMV for a drivers test. Shortly thereafter he called me and told me that he was told to come in for a drivers test which he failed. He was pissed about being picked on because he was old.
View Quote

Nobody likes a snitch
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thankfully my mom quit driving on her own when she turned 70.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Falls Church?
What did she know about the Clintons?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I was surprised at how difficult it is to lose a license. My FIL had an LBD diagnosis, a serious injury accident, multiple police contacts and affidavits from family members and they still wouldn't pull his license or require a test.

He's still got his license now and he doesn't remember anything after childhood most of the time.

We should probably start requiring people on SS to take a test every few years, from what I've learned from this experience these issues corollate with everything that's becoming the modern normal, obesity, diabetes, etc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Imagine having to live with that. Being as old as they are, they'd probably been married for 50 years.

If I were him, I probably wouldn't be too far behind her.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:12:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Backup camera?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#17]
My FIL went to the DMV to update his license. After the eye test the woman handed him his ID and said he you go, sir. He looked at it and said "What the fuck is this?" She told him it was his State ID Card. He was pissed. 83 yo. he hadn't driven anything other than a tractor in over 5 years it was just a point of pride for him.

Last year his wife (MIL) lost her license she is 75. It is inconvenient but not the end of the world.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#18]
They can be a menace for sure.

One thing Illinois does right is making them do the road test every renewal past the age of 72. Personally I think they're too lax about what they pass and the test should be required yearly at that age. They kept passing my grandmother for example and it's a wonder she never killed anybody. Finally convinced her it was time to stop driving when she smashed into another car at a gas station doing the old gas instead of brake routine. If the owner of the car she hit had been standing at the pump at that time she'd have been crushed. In general though I think it's too easy to get and maintain a drivers license. The driver education programs and training requirements are a joke.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#19]
My grandmother that turns 100 next week only quit driving two years ago. 5 miles from her driveway to where she was going, only turn out of the driveway on a very very unused road. I kept asking the police chief to say anything if he heard anything. Said he saw her often on her once a week trip and waved and that was it.

She used to drive in to town to buy groceries and her weekly class she taught at the old folks home. One turn other than her driveway and as far as I know no new houses built on that road in my lifetime and the store been there forever.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nobody likes a snitch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody likes a snitch

Well, he did have double vision and couldn’t stay on the right side of the road.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I know several 85-90 year old folks that drive every day. I would get into their car with them without any hesitation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#23]
People not wanting to give up their independence and freedom. Who would have thought ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I would check out if I did that. However, I am incredibly cautious and protective of my wife. She is a treasure.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I had to break it to my 89yo FIL when he got a letter from the DVM. He took the test 3 times and failed. Now he believes me when I told him it was time to hang it up. I feel bad, but he's fortunate to have money that he can have an assistant 8 hours a day 7 days a week to drive him anywhere he needs to go. He even bought a new car thinking it would help him at the test.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:49:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a 75 year old uncle we called Mr Magoo. He drove just like the opening scenes of the Mr Magoo cartoon series.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:09:24 AM EDT
[#30]
The timing of this post is impeccable. A few hours ago old lady in my town just drove into a preschool and ran over three children
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:22:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Probably more boozers and other drug addicts (medicinal and recreational both) that shouldn't be driving than elderly anyways.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:39:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

He just pulled our new strategy demo...The Old Guy. A great idea I'll have to remember, if  I can remember.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:09:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Not the type of smashing I was anticipating
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have never met anyone who put down a dog to soon or quit driving to soon.
View Quote

*too
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#35]
The year you start pulling Social Security benefits, you should also start having to do annual written and behind-the-wheel driving tests.

Old people who shouldn't be driving are responsible for a huge amount of turmoil on the road.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#36]
My grandmother was wrecking her car into all manner of things. Then sneaking the car back home and getting it repaired.
She smashed into one of those grocery cart corral things at the Kroger one day. It messed her car up so bad we learned of it.
Talking with the repair shop we learned of how many times she had wrecked the car.
We tried convincing her to stop driving. She flipped out and refused.
We tried taking the car away. She called the police on us. Cops show up. We explain. They threaten to arrest us if we don’t return the car. We do. She wrecks it again.
We go talk to a judge. He refuses to do anything. She wrecks the car again. We go back to judge.
Judge calls her in. Tells her she gives up driving or he starts proceedings to take away her car.
Granny leaves judge meeting. Wrecks the car going home.
She finally concedes. Gives up driving.
She hated all of us until the day she died for “stealing her independence”
Sad but had to be done.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes...yes 'old people'...'smashes'.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I've said it before, if you drive 10 under the limit in clear conditions, or think it's ok to merge onto the highway at 40 mph, you shouldn't have a license. Boomers need to test every year.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
People not wanting to give up their independence and freedom. Who would have thought ?
View Quote

if your "freedom" potentially place others around you at grave risks for losing theirs from your ordinary, day to day actions, what actions do you propose should be taken?

Because what you are saying, very specifically, is that we should not trust {old} people with their freedom and independence, because they suck at being rational - because a rational person fully understands there are real limits to freedom and independence.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The timing of this post is impeccable. A few hours ago old lady in my town just drove into a preschool and ran over three children
View Quote

"Impeccable" is not the word you want to use in a situation referring to driving privileges in relation to 3 kids getting run over.

Maybe "timely and a sobering reminder".
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:06:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

if your "freedom" potentially place others around you at grave risks for losing theirs from your ordinary, day to day actions, what actions do you propose should be taken?

Because what you are saying, very specifically, is that we should not trust {old} people with their freedom and independence, because they suck at being rational - because a rational person fully understands there are real limits to freedom and independence.
View Quote

There's little difference between drunk drivers and some elderly drivers. Slow reaction times, impaired judgment and coordination....

I agree with the guy above that driving 40 in a 55 under clear conditions should result in a loss of license. If you know your driving is that bad you shouldn't be driving.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I told my grandmother not to call me when she wrecked her car and injured someone. Still took a couple of years before the TX DMV yanked her license.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's horrible. Preschool kids ugh.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:47:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom had a perfect driving record until she hit a parked vehicle in the grocery store parking lot at 72 due to her lung cancer degrading her health/abilities. She was stubborn as all hell and fought us on everything. I braced myself for the fight over taking her keys away but she told me that she did not want to drive again after her wreck. It was like a ton of weight taken off my shoulders when she gave up driving without a fight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was surprised at how difficult it is to lose a license. My FIL had an LBD diagnosis, a serious injury accident, multiple police contacts and affidavits from family members and they still wouldn't pull his license or require a test.

He's still got his license now and he doesn't remember anything after childhood most of the time.

We should probably start requiring people on SS to take a test every few years, from what I've learned from this experience these issues corollate with everything that's becoming the modern normal, obesity, diabetes, etc.
View Quote

I forget which one it was, but years ago a state legislature proposed making people over 70 IIRC take a drive test every year or two. The AARP lobby mobilized and got it shut down with the quickness because muh age discrimination.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:56:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Do young people not also run over other folks?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Found the boomer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Found the boomer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found the boomer.

Really?  How much money are you willing to bet I am a boomer?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Many shouldn't drive. My 96 year old grandfather on the other hand still changes the brakes and belts on his cars himself, and drives totally fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#50]
No shit story.  My father is 86 and lost his driving privileges a few years ago.  They still have a post office box up the road in a pretty rural, small loop-road town.  It's only a couple miles up the road.  My father was pestering my mother (also 86, but can still drive) about checking the mail.  She was too busy, so he went out and fired up his tractor and drove down to the post office.  Privileges be damned...

ROCK6
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top