Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2021 9:15:13 PM EDT
Just curious on any real world users thoughts.

Strongly considering one of these as my next truck.  Coming from 4 diesels in a row and the lower price and simpler maintenance seems attractive.

I don't tow heavy all that often, but need to be able to tow approximately 19K-20K pounds when I need to for about 200 miles max and usually much shorter than that.

I know the towing mileage on the gas engine will be less than a diesel but for the limited amount I tow that heavy it would take a long time to make up the difference in initial purchase cost..

Thoughts or experiences?

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I am pretty sure that the new 7.3 gassers are around 12 or 13k towing.

Not sure i would want to try and tow 20k with a 12k rated truck.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s an engine that can outdo the pissy 6.2, but it’s not a replacement for the 6.7.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Towing 19K? No... unless you find a F350 or better with the payload and rear end to handle that. That is definite diesel territory.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Drove a ‘2020 F650 box truck with the 7.3 for a 700mi round trip. Engine seemed pretty gutless even with no load.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Drove a ‘2020 F650 box truck with the 7.3 for a 700mi round trip. Engine seemed pretty gutless even with no load.
View Quote

I'd be curious if they were slightly detuned in a medium duty platform.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]
@SCW

Godzilla time!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one with 4:30 rear end in my tremor f-250. Loved it, every bit as powerful feeling as my 2017 6.7 Cummins 3.42.

250 with 7.3 rated for 15k bumper and 20k gooseneck iirc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd be curious if they were slightly detuned in a medium duty platform.
View Quote

Pulled this off Ford’s website:
Attachment Attached File

Not sure how that stacks up against other models.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 4-dually 4X2 3.73 7.3.

For a daily driver it’s great.  The 10-speed is a little bumpy at times but nothing bad.  

Gets about 11-12 mpg

Get the 4.30s.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Love the power. The gas mileage, as expected, is terrible. I'm glad I didn't go with a diesel.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm shopping for one right now.  My current truck gets 6-12MPG so just about anything is an improvement.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I test drove a few, then bought the 6.2L gas with 6 speed. I have a Ram 6.7 Cummins diesel, so I have a great comparison of the two. I'll never by another diesel. The emission junk on the new diesels is extremely expensive to maintain and repair (though I haven't personally had to do repairs). The gas engines have as much torque as the diesels did about 15 years ago. The gas engines are far more reliable.

Why didn't I buy the 7.3L? I test drove them side by side on the same 18 mile loop.
1. I think the 10 speed has too many gears. Internet reports are coming in saying that it hunts too much and you need to manually shift it and lock in gear to stop the hunting. During the test drives, the 10 speed frequently skipped gears during the upshifts. It was only using 6 or seven at most.
2. I monitored the fuel economy on the electronic dash (internet reports claim that Ford got it right and the display is within .5 mpg for most users). The 6.2 was within .4 mpg on the test. Not conclusive by any means, but it was a interesting data point.
3. The torque for 6.2 comes on sooner and hits peaks at more than 200 rpm sooner than the 7.3; per Ford's own dyno data. The 7.3 only has 10% more total torque than the 6.2. 10% is not enough to be a deal maker or deal breaker.
4. The 7.3 is a new engine. NEVER buy 1st gen anything with 4 wheels. Reports on Ford forums of the 7.3 engine grenading, valve train breaks. Known by Ford to be a problem. More than one insider said it is a known issue and they are telling dealers to put in new crate engines as soon as the dealer says "engine rattle noise" or similar reports of engine problems. No request for dealer to investigate, just replace it ASAP and ship us the old engine. These are happening between 4000 and 9000 miles so far.
5. The RV's have had issues with both the 7.3 and the 10 speed, the most common was a defective spark plug wire, took Ford a long time to get enough parts to the dealers to resolve that issue alone.
6. Most people are not 100% happy the the 10 speed. Ford has already had one software update/ reflash the tranny, fixes one issue, causes other issues including a drop in mpg.

Also drove the Power Stroke, it felt heavy, heavier than my Ram with Cummins, very unpleasant ride; felt like a bloated whale or old Cadillac with worn shocks.

I have only driven my F250 with the 6.2 for 350 miles, so far so good. I ended up with one that has the snow plow package which means stiffer front springs and it rides level so I don't need a level kit. It has plenty of power, though I have to wait another 600 miles before I can tow my trailer.

First half tank of gas averaged 15 mpg city driving. Not bad, especially since I prescribe to the old school method of engine break in. Internet reports of 19 mph highway at 70 mph are common
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just curious on any real world users thoughts.

Strongly considering one of these as my next truck.  Coming from 4 diesels in a row and the lower price and simpler maintenance seems attractive.

I don't tow heavy all that often, but need to be able to tow approximately 19K-20K pounds when I need to for about 200 miles max and usually much shorter than that.

I know the towing mileage on the gas engine will be less than a diesel but for the limited amount I tow that heavy it would take a long time to make up the difference in initial purchase cost..

Thoughts or experiences?

View Quote

Not going to work for what you need it to do.

Even an F450 gooseneck is going to hit max at 19-20k

Eta:  see that someone posted the tow guide.  Good info
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Even an F450 gooseneck is going to hit max at 18-19k lbs
View Quote

Superduty Engine Chassis and Towing Specs
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even an F450 gooseneck is going to hit max at 18-19k lbs

Superduty Engine Chassis and Towing Specs

Was shooting from memory.  

Looks like you caught my post before I updated it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Spark plug wire issues.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pulled this off Ford’s website:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481323/C12B4E20-38FF-4F38-894A-6E6FF52F08B8_png-1837405.JPG

Not sure how that stacks up against other models.
View Quote

That looks to be de-rated a lot in terms of power and a little torque. Pickup spec is 430/475.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
4.3 axle ratio yields 20,200 for a gooseneck per the 2021 towing guide.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the 3.55 rear end and I've towed around 17.5k twice.  It didn't like it, but it's only about 4 miles, up a nearly 1000' incline.

Regarding the trans hunting, it certainly did- for the first 2,000 miles or so. Since then it's awesome.  All of your complaints about the trans are really unfounded, it does a great job but it wants to take a while to figure it out.  I was kinda irritated by it at first, coasting into a parking lot doing 40 in 7th gear so it's always downshifting.  But it's a lot better now, I have 13,500 miles on mine.

I have a big Decked toolbox and a Leer shell, both of which add a bit of weight and the shell hurt wind friction, so my mileage is at about 14 if I keep it under 80, but all the freeways around me are 80mph limits so I'm typically doing 85 and getting more like 13mpg.

It's good combo, but the trans is Paul Simon and the motor is Art Garfunkle.  The combo would be unremarkable without the trans, and you could put nearly any good motor in there and do almost as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#24]
If I was in the market for a new 3/4 or 1 ton pickup from Ford, it'd be either the 6.2L gas or 6.7L Powerstroke. The 7.3L is too new and the performance upgrade over the 6.2L isn't enough to get excited about. Besides, the 6.2L has been out for quite a while and it's a known entity. That engine is a winner for Ford so hopefully they stick with it for a while longer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I have an F350, 7.3, 3.73 and couldn’t be happier. Pulled my 5th wheel (10k) 6000 miles so far.
Gas mileage 8 to 9.5 depending on terrain. As far as power it has plenty. Much better than the 6.2. I travel with my brother and he pulls about the same load. He could not keep up with his 6.2. He now has a new 7.3. The 10 speed works great, have not had any issue. I have been impressed with the job it does picking the right gear.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have the 3.55 rear end and I've towed around 17.5k twice.  It didn't like it, but it's only about 4 miles, up a nearly 1000' incline.

Regarding the trans hunting, it certainly did- for the first 2,000 miles or so. Since then it's awesome.  All of your complaints about the trans are really unfounded, it does a great job but it wants to take a while to figure it out.  I was kinda irritated by it at first, coasting into a parking lot doing 40 in 7th gear so it's always downshifting.  But it's a lot better now, I have 13,500 miles on mine.

I have a big Decked toolbox and a Leer shell, both of which add a bit of weight and the shell hurt wind friction, so my mileage is at about 14 if I keep it under 80, but all the freeways around me are 80mph limits so I'm typically doing 85 and getting more like 13mpg.

It's good combo, but the trans is Paul Simon and the motor is Art Garfunkle.  The combo would be unremarkable without the trans, and you could put nearly any good motor in there and do almost as well.
View Quote

This seems to be the typical review from those with some miles on the 7.3.  Looks like a solid combo.

I'm driving an older F150 Crew.  The newer trucks have a shallower bed and I am already frustrated with bed space.  Long bed F150 Crews are almost impossible to find.  So I figure why not step up to the 250 with the 7.3.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks.

Your case sounds similar to mine.  I need to be able to load it up that heavily if I need to transport a tractor/implements but I'm not going very far very often.

My thoughts being I can deal with it not towing as well as a diesel when it is loaded up but then enjoy the benefit of lower purchase cost, cheaper fuel, less maintenance and not having to screw with def, dpf, egr, etc.  

I'm changing out a def pump on my current ride right now.  Very disconcerting on Sunday night to be 250 miles from home and the truck starts telling me it is going to 5mph in 200 miles.  The error disappeared for a bit and the counter reset, but when I rolled into my destination it had counted down to 28 miles before "limp" mode.

I'm still thinking it through and might very well end up with another 6.7, but I'm giving the 7.3 serious consideration.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a 7.3 250 Tremor with 4.30s for personal use, the most I tow is around 10k and it does it well.  I think the motor is solid, not sure on the long term with the 10 speed but I am hopeful, did have a small trans leak early on they had to address but been good since.  I think most of the problems with quality right now are assembly/manufacturing issues, primarliy because of covid.... so even if the design is sound on the 6.2,7.3, or 6.7, they can still have major issues out of the gate and its magnified right now.  The worst part about buying new at the moment is that if there is any issue almost every part is backordered and the truck will be down for awhile waiting on warranty repair, can be a big issue if you use it for work.  Just how things are right now....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a 20 F-250 4x4 CC SRW with the 7.3, 3.55 gears with about 12,000 miles on it. Previous truck was the same configuration but with a 6.2 and 3:73's.
Previous truck averaged about 16mpg on an extended highway run and would pull our 10K# camper well but was a bit anemic on hills and would drop speed and gears, you had to wind it pretty high to keep it happy and in its torque band.
I have only towed the camper twice with the new truck (Thanks Covid) and that was fairly short distance(1 short weekend trip and when I moved).
It pulls the weight easily and builds its torque much lower than the 6.2, it reminds me of the FE 460.
The couple of meager hills I encountered it powered through effortlessly and didn't drop more than a couple of gears.
On open highway runs it will get 17-18mpg unloaded and averages 14.5 around town per the display which seems pretty accurate.
My 6.2 would average about 9mpg towing, haven't towed enough with "Zilla to know.
I do see it as a very capable driveline, I think the post about it not being a 6.2 nor a 6.7 is spot on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a 7.3 250 Tremor with 4.30s for personal use, the most I tow is around 10k and it does it well.  I think the motor is solid, not sure on the long term with the 10 speed but I am hopeful, did have a small trans leak early on they had to address but been good since.  I think most of the problems with quality right now are assembly/manufacturing issues, primarliy because of covid.... so even if the design is sound on the 6.2,7.3, or 6.7, they can still have major issues out of the gate and its magnified right now.  The worst part about buying new at the moment is that if there is any issue almost every part is backordered and the truck will be down for awhile waiting on warranty repair, can be a big issue if you use it for work.  Just how things are right now....
View Quote

I would love to get a Tremor.  I actually looked at another one yesterday.  The practical side of me will keep me from doing it.  Ill prob just end up with an FX4 and eventually do some slightly larger tires and/or level.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would love to get a Tremor.  I actually looked at another one yesterday.  The practical side of me will keep me from doing it.  Ill prob just end up with an FX4 and eventually do some slightly larger tires and/or level.
View Quote

Its nice to buy it already setup pretty well from the factory and not worry about them denying warranty etc.  Keep in mind its really only $3k more than the FX4 which forces you to get the locker and tires, use the builder and see.  Besides all the normal Tremor upgrades like painted flares, raptor running boards, lift and better shocks, black wheels, 35" tires, front LSD, crawl control, there are some undocumented upgrades you get as well: big digital gauge cluster on XLTs, F350 overload leafs on a 250, and the bigger Dana M275 axle.  Its actually a pretty damn good deal with some substance, but most people dismiss it as a lift/tire trim package.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'll be WAY ahead on both performance and price if you get a standard truck and stuff a 4.5" Carli suspension under it.  I'm kinda hoping to do the 2" lift with full Carli springs, steering, shocks etc maybe late this year.  It will be great to not deal with the harsh factory ride anymore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Drove a '2020 F650 box truck with the 7.3 for a 700mi round trip. Engine seemed pretty gutless even with no load.
View Quote
I was kinda disappointed with the numbers on the 7.3 compared to the 6.4 Ram and new 6.6 GM.  Decided to go RAM since it's a known quantity.

19K?  You need a Freightliner.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I got a '21 f250 7.3 a few weeks ago . Was delivered with 18 miles.
I've done nothing but plow snow since which it does just fine
Around 900 miles now and I've yet to tow or take the plow off
No complaints though
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I got a '21 f250 7.3 a few weeks ago . Was delivered with 18 miles.
I've done nothing but plow snow since which it does just fine
Around 900 miles now and I've yet to tow or take the plow off
No complaints though
View Quote

@colt_thompson

What options and gears do you have?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I drove a powerstroke from 1997 to 2012, Best truck ever. I miss it, but in 07 when diesel got expensive and went ultra low sulfer, i lost a couple miles per gallon. It would still take me 5 years to let go.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@colt_thompson

View Quote

XLT 4x4 super cab. 3.55 e locker
306A, carpet delete, tailgate step,power slider, 40/console/40 front seat
XLT premium package , plow package
Think that's it
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#38]
19-20K trailer?  Damn dude, you have your CDL?  Pretty sure your going to be over 26K combined with any truck that will safely tow 20K.

CCC is a thing. Also GVWR & GCWR.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
19-20K trailer?  Damn dude, you have your CDL?  Pretty sure your going to be over 26K combined with any truck that will safely tow 20K.

View Quote

CDL?  What dat fer?

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Don't need it per the flowchart.  Also an exemption in Texas for farmers within 150 miles of farm.

ETA:  GVWR of F350  is between 11K and 12K.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84724/2021-02-23_png-1838275.JPG

Don't need it per the flowchart.  Also an exemption in Texas for farmers within 150 miles of farm.

ETA:  GVWR of F350  is between 11K and 12K.
View Quote

Your flow through the chart is fucked up. A pickup and trailer is a combination vehicle. However if you're exempt, then cool.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Think that's it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@colt_thompson

Think that's it

Not to far off from what I am likely to buy except in a CrewCab.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Go for it. I’m sure the 7.3 will handle it, especially short distances. If towing under 10k lbs, the 6.2 is a great truck and cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

@SCW could you elaborate on the "it didn't like it" comment?  I'm looking at the 7.3 for pulling a 15K eta: 11K lb gross weight 5th wheel across country once a year (usually through the Rockies.  always seem to head west for National Parks), and around the state all summer.

*also pushing snow in the winter but my plowing needs are met with a half ton so not worried about that duty
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@SCW could you elaborate on the "it didn't like it" comment?  I'm looking at the 7.3 for pulling a 15K eta: 12K lb 5th wheel across country once a year (usually through the Rockies.  always seem to head west for National Parks), and around the state all summer.

*also pushing snow in the winter but my plowing needs are met with a half ton so not worried about that duty
View Quote

I live at 6,500' elevation so towing in general is a bit slower here.  I have towed over 10,000lbs with the truck 5 or 6 times, other than the two times I've towed my Volvo mini excavator, which when fully loaded has got to be pushing 18K if I count the trailer, mini, extra bucket, full fuel tank, etc.

When I'm towing 10-12k I can go over the passes between my house and the big city pretty easily, I've easily done 60mph but I don't tow trailers that heavy much faster than that, so I don't know just how fast I could go.  If you're familiar with it, I'm typically towing over Spanish Fork Canyon on Highway 6, south of Provo UT.  The climb is about 3,000' I think.  Once I get home I have another climb to get to the house which is a lot of turns and short runs, then turn, short run...  It's tough on a truck with a heavy load.

My truck has the 3.55 rear so it's not going to be a towing beast anyway, but on the last leg home I was hitting 45mph before coming off the gas, the straight sections of road are only 2 miles long.

So it will do it, but I'd hate to get on a freeway with that kind of load.  It would do it a lot better with a different rear end, but I really don't think I'd pull that kind of weight regularly without a bigger truck.  I am a part owner of a construction company and we have several F450/Dodge 4500 trucks, that's far better for the heavy towing.

I have towed ~12k a few times, ~10k several times and pulled my mini twice.  I will continue to pull the mini, but it's a slow trip and I won't go far with it, usually just 5 miles or less.  If your RV is in that 10-12k range, I think I'd get the 4.55 rear end and you'd pull very well with it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not going to work for what you need it to do.

Even an F450 gooseneck is going to hit max at 19-20k

Eta:  see that someone posted the tow guide.  Good info
View Quote

I believe f450 goosenecks are in the 35-40k rznge
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I live at 6,500' elevation so towing in general is a bit slower here.  I have towed over 10,000lbs with the truck 5 or 6 times, other than the two times I've towed my Volvo mini excavator, which when fully loaded has got to be pushing 18K if I count the trailer, mini, extra bucket, full fuel tank, etc.

When I'm towing 10-12k I can go over the passes between my house and the big city pretty easily, I've easily done 60mph but I don't tow trailers that heavy much faster than that, so I don't know just how fast I could go.  If you're familiar with it, I'm typically towing over Spanish Fork Canyon on Highway 6, south of Provo UT.  The climb is about 3,000' I think.  Once I get home I have another climb to get to the house which is a lot of turns and short runs, then turn, short run...  It's tough on a truck with a heavy load.

My truck has the 3.55 rear so it's not going to be a towing beast anyway, but on the last leg home I was hitting 45mph before coming off the gas, the straight sections of road are only 2 miles long.

So it will do it, but I'd hate to get on a freeway with that kind of load.  It would do it a lot better with a different rear end, but I really don't think I'd pull that kind of weight regularly without a bigger truck.  I am a part owner of a construction company and we have several F450/Dodge 4500 trucks, that's far better for the heavy towing.

I have towed ~12k a few times, ~10k several times and pulled my mini twice.  I will continue to pull the mini, but it's a slow trip and I won't go far with it, usually just 5 miles or less.  If your RV is in that 10-12k range, I think I'd get the 4.55 rear end and you'd pull very well with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SCW could you elaborate on the "it didn't like it" comment?  I'm looking at the 7.3 for pulling a 15K eta: 12K lb 5th wheel across country once a year (usually through the Rockies.  always seem to head west for National Parks), and around the state all summer.

thanks for the input, sir.

I went through Provo on I-15 heading to Bryce Canyon last summer.  Then some state highways to get to Arches/Moab.  Older Chevy 2500 pulling the 8800lb travel trailer we just traded off.  The Silverado is a bitch and looking to upgrade in the next 12mo.  Anyway, sorta kinda familiar with that terrain and is exactly the feedback I needed.  Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top