Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 5:36:57 PM EDT
Got the DVD of PBS's 1883 Frontier House. Really cool stuff. Their job was to prepare for the winter in montana for 5 months and to stock enough supplies to see if they could make it. At the end they were assessed.  As it stands at the end none of the families had enough wood or hay to get thru the winter. They all would have died so say the experts.

The Clune family was the absolute worst bunch of cry babies. They cheated the whole damm time. Nate and his wife did pretty good.
The other man and wife (forgot their names) did good she was strong but VERY bitchy toward her husband (he called her a Nazi).

Anyone see it? Comments or thoughts?

Not sure if I could have made it. Kinda old and beatup.

Great show if you get a chance to watch it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No one was allowed to have any firearms. One of the people tried to bring a single shot 45-70 and they would not let him. I'm pretty sure folks without guns in Montana in 1883 would have been few and far between. This also removed a major source of nourishment from the participants.

I got a good laugh out of the guy who thought he was dying. When he described his symptoms to the doctor, it took me about 5 seconds to figure "dehydration." None of the participants had a clue about life beyond the asphalt.

Guess that is what you get when you send a bunch of PBS viewing city-dwellers to the frontier. It wwas good for a few laughs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I loved that show.  It was amazing the transformation in the kids as they had to work everyday.  And then the two girls in the hot tub at the many million mansion at the end talking about how bored they were.

Colonial House starts next Monday on PBS.  I'll be watching it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I loved Frontier House.

They were all whiney cry babies except the black guy(s).

I dont think Colonial House will be as good, but we'll see.  Maybe cause that period of time isn't as "cool"
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched the canadian version with just two couples. Not often but occassionally.

At least on their version they were allowed to hunt for food.  Without hunting any show like that is nothing but phony.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I watched the canadian version with just two couples. Not often but occassionally.

At least on their version they were allowed to hunt for food.  Without hunting any show like that is nothing but phony.

It is modern day law that prohibited them from hunting out of season. However they had the Crow Indians hunt some deer for them as they are allowed to hunt year around. Each family was allowed to have a shotgun for emergency purposes only.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was a pretty good show also.  If you liked that, keep your eye out for another PBS show called 1900 house.  You might be able to catch it on a re-run.  It was good too.  Modern British family agrees to move into an historically accurate victorian house and live with only the conveniences available in the year 1900.  It was pretty good also.  The mother was ready to quit the second day when she realized she had to cook with coal, use a washboard, and had no "hoover" to vacuum with.  The shows producers relented and allowed the family to "hire" a maid.  The maid lasted only a few days also.

Another interesting show currently on VH1 is Surviving Nugent.  Take a bunch of whiney gen-x/y city kids and turn them over to Ted Nugent on his farm.  It has been pretty entertaining also.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Saw most of the series the last time it was on.

The funniest part was the Clune family's "epilogue", when they were back "home".  Their daughters were bored out of their minds.

The most unfortunate part was the other family (the one that separated not long after the show).  If the husband had simply said, "Honey, I'm tired of hearing you bash the Clune family so much," (instead of avoiding the issue), things might have had a chance to go differently.

"Darling fiancee, soon-to-be Mrs. Brisk322, I have the perfect honeymoon planned."
"Really?"
"Yes.  We're going to live for a few months in Montana, twenty miles from nowhere."
"What will we do there?"
"We will live like the pioneers did.  No electricity, no modern conveniences.  We will 'live offa da fatta the lan.'  Oh, yes.  It'll be taped.  Kind of like 'Survivor' meets 'Little House on the Prairie' show."
<WHAM!>  <STOMP STOMP Stomp stomp stomp....>
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:30:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I liked it, and I will be watching "Colonial House".

My favorite part was when the one guy went back to Montana and continued to work on the land even after the show was over.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I liked it, and I will be watching "Colonial House".

My favorite part was when the one guy went back to Montana and continued to work on the land even after the show was over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top