Quoted:
For the Algorithm!

Next Andrew should plan on a series of "This rifle means nothing to me"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Title is super misleading..........he bitched about the sling not the rifle.
For the Algorithm!

Next Andrew should plan on a series of "This rifle means nothing to me"

Does it abuse it and toss it down the driveway?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Does it abuse it and toss it down the driveway?
View Quote
He could custom weld some reaper wheels on it, or make a swing out of them, or bury them in a corn field..
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a completely plain vanilla 6920 with a Aimpoint M4 , MBUS and a magpul sling .

I R slow speed high drag
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

*silently takes out SpecterDR and sets it on the table*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because an Aimpoint PRO is a great optic and isn't much more than a Primary Arms.

Guys spend $350 or more on garbage when they could have bought something like an older EOTech or Comp M2.  Nobody is saying everyone needs a $2,000 optic.

What if he has a prism 1x optic because he has astigmatism? Next best option then becomes an acog TA44 which of course carries a higher price tag. Maybe a hologram eotech would work, but eotechs have the taint of unreliability (deserved or not) on them.

Heavy boy
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know for a fact, if you put a Strike Eagle on a Geissele rifle, the rifle will blow up.
View Quote
have Bill call me.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:27:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yea, sorry, I'd take a gear sector sling over a VTAC/Vickers.  They are all great slings, but Andrew seemed to get it (quick attachment to multiple rifles, with different attachment types, and even changing from single point to double point).  Didn't seem to sink in with the other guy?
View Quote
I buy a sling for every rifle. Of course I don't have a safe full of 12 copies of the same rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I buy a sling for every rifle. Of course I don't have a safe full of 12 copies of the same rifle.
View Quote

I don’t buy a sling for every firearm but I made sure I have some slings

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a supporters of cheap chi-com optics got their panties in a bunch....

Suggest they attend a Trident training class and explain to Gonzales in person why their cheap chi-com optic is as good as Aimpoint...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ignorant question. Why would a guy in the class have to keep using the charging handle instead of the bolt release?
View Quote

We did some dry fire trigger manipulation and induced malfunctions.

Edit: speeling and forgot the induced malfunctions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#10]
He nailed the sling issue
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What if he has a prism 1x optic because he has astigmatism? Next best option then becomes an acog TA44 which of course carries a higher price tag. Maybe a hologram eotech would work, but eotechs have the taint of unreliability (deserved or not) on them.
View Quote

I don't have astigmatism but I do like the features of the Cyclops. I beat the snot out of it, alongside the TA44 and it kept up.

Poor Man's ACOG? Trijicon TA44 vs Primary Arms Cyclops Torture Test

I ran the TA44 in the class and it's perfect for that setting. But the horseshoe and the center chevron after both finer than I'd like for dimmer light conditions and a mounted light washes out the illumination entirely indoors. I own other "top tier" sights and I could always buy a used T1, but I like the Cyclops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because they break when you most need them.

But I've also broken an aimpoint T1.
View Quote

This is something that doesn't get said often enough. The failure rate and the defective rate for less expensive optics is higher. That's a fact. But it's not like it used to be. It's current year and mid range optics like Vortex and Primary Arms are far more robust than they used to be. And finally, you can break an Aimpoint or Trijicon if you try hard enough.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think your rifle looks sweet. What kind of flashlight mount? I'd like to do something similar to my middy.
View Quote

Magpul.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How does it handle suppressor gas?

Eta: Nevermind. Per the manufacturer it isn't rated for the application OP is using it for.

"Compatibility: For standard mil-spec AR15 only. Not rated for suppressors and /or full auto fire. Not for use on SBRs or pistol length barrels (<14.5")"

https://www.strikeindustries.com/si-ar-slch.html

So he is using it on a suppressed SBR which is like double not recommended.
View Quote

Works fine, though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Resonator for the MF win, homie.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Works fine, though.
View Quote

Every part that fails worked fine until it failed. Using a product in a manner they directly tell you not to use it in is probably not the best strategy but you do you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why bring your home HD rifle to a class and not even shoot it during the class... but only to make a video about it? Seems a bit odd.
View Quote

I shot my 10.5" upper on the lower seen in the video because it allowed me to mount an Olight Odin out in front of the muzzle where it could get beat up for a review I'm doing on it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Every part that fails worked fine until it failed. Using a product in a manner they directly tell you not to use it in is probably not the best strategy but you do you.
View Quote

Yeah, well this all started about a cheap Chinese sight on a home defense weapon. The worst choice for a home defense sight is an Eotech in my experience. Look at the picture of my bone yard of Eotechs. 5 ruined battery cases and 2 dead sights. They love to melt batteries if you leave them sit with the batteries in them, and it doesn't make sense to me to have a home defense sight without batteries left in it? I'd trust a Chinese Holosun over an Eotech any day for sitting around waiting to be used. Aimpoint is what I'm switching over to from Eotechs, but it's a slow expensive process if you have a lot of weapons. I've never had an Aimpoint fail on me. I love the Eotech for use at night with NVDs, but they just suck balls for reliability, especially as they age and under 7.62X51 recoil. They're equal to Chinese sights in my opinion, and are okay for anything that doesn't need to be 99.99% reliable.  

I'm not afraid to rock a Holosun at my range, but I wouldn't be caught on the front page of ARF sporting one.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, well this all started about a cheap Chinese sight on a home defense weapon. The worst choice for a home defense sight is an Eotech in my experience. Look at the picture of my bone yard of Eotechs. 5 ruined battery cases and 2 dead sights. They love to melt batteries if you leave them sit with the batteries in them, and it doesn't make sense to me to have a home defense sight without batteries left in it? I'd trust a Chinese Holosun over an Eotech any day for sitting around waiting to be used. Aimpoint is what I'm switching over to from Eotechs, but it's a slow expensive process if you have a lot of weapons. I've never had an Aimpoint fail on me. I love the Eotech for use at night with NVDs, but they just suck balls for reliability, especially as they age and under 7.62X51 recoil. They're equal to Chinese sights in my opinion, and are okay for anything that doesn't need to be 99.99% reliable.  

I'm not afraid to rock a Holosun at my range, but I wouldn't be caught on the front page of ARF sporting one.  

https://i.imgur.com/sxPyJkA.jpg
View Quote
I hate those little rubber pieces with the contact springs in them. They fall out etc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I hate those little rubber pieces with the contact springs in them. They fall out etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/sxPyJkA.jpg

I have been on courses where the PJ's on the course had their EOTechs blink at them. One of mine's gears shit the bed on an expensive match. All got boxed up and sent back when the refunds were offered. A shame that I'd trust a SIG Romeo5 over an EOTech 552 any day. I'd even be on the front page of ARF with a Romeo5 - they're tough little things.

No matter the price, I plan on having the optic fail when I need it most. And set a working gun up to deal with that eventuality. How many here run BUIS drills regularly, even just when dry-firing?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Backup irons absolutely fail.
View Quote

Never was not the right word.
How bout rarely.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
"Hey man, your sling is a little too complicated and I'd probably upgrade your optic when you get a chance. Other than that it looks pretty good"

FUCKING ROASTED!!!

In all seriousness I enjoyed the video.  It's always interesting to get insight from guys who see a lot of different gear come through classes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Hey man, your sling is a little too complicated and I'd probably upgrade your optic when you get a chance. Other than that it looks pretty good"

FUCKING ROASTED!!!

In all seriousness I enjoyed the video.  It's always interesting to get insight from guys who see a lot of different gear come through classes.
View Quote

That's normal for autism15.com

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I shot my 10.5" upper on the lower seen in the video because it allowed me to mount an Olight Odin out in front of the muzzle where it could get beat up for a review I'm doing on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why bring your home HD rifle to a class and not even shoot it during the class... but only to make a video about it? Seems a bit odd.

Did the Olight survive?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ha, I bet the lower one is loud as shit inside and outside. Really nice, don't get me wrong.
View Quote

I’ve only had the ummm... pleasure? to hear it outdoors.

It is somewhat offensive to the body to be standing next to it. .308 in an 8 inch barrel with a brake is a few notches above loud
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Backup irons never fail.
View Quote

I've seen them fail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Never was not the right word.
How bout rarely.
View Quote

BUIS are dumb. Back up red dots are where it's at. Attachment Attached File

And a Gen 1 magpul sling still works pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've seen them fail.
View Quote

Yep addressed already. I amended my statement.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ever have a optic fail in a class?  It's embarrassing....cough Mepro M21

If your optic fails on your HD rifle, well that could be final.

I've not had an Aimpoint Pro or H1 fail in a class yet.  I'd trust my life to a Pro, M3, or M4.  Not as sold on the T or H series but they haven't failed yet.
View Quote

I have never had an aimpoint fail.  Eotech yes.  If you have an etched reticle, that's a layer of redundancy.  A light on the weapon.  At CQB distance in your home, you will likely be doing some point shooting where the light hits.

If my life absolutely depended on it rifle, I would have iron sights in addition to the optics, or I would have a back up weapon.  Range toys, no.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There is a gigantic difference between a used aim point pro and a freaking S&B.
View Quote

Ahhh ok - so an old used aimpoint pro is the bar we are setting.

Would you trust someone else's used optic in a life or death situation?  Do you know how many people sell the shit that they have either broke and fixed or found them to be intermittently reliable?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Did the Olight survive?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the Olight survive?

Ummm, kind of? I don't want to spoil the video too much, so I'll just say it wasn't a catastrophic failure, nor did it get through unscathed. But here's a still from the highspeed we took to illustrate what the muzzle blast is doing. That's a piece of liverwurst with a Goldfish stuck to it.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Some folks like to keep the manipulations as close to possible system to system. Think pistol/rifle tap & rack...
View Quote

The AR's charging handle should, in my opinion, only be used for admin loading and malfunction clearance.  Using the charging handle to reload on bolt lock is stupid for multiple reasons.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Heavy boy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because an Aimpoint PRO is a great optic and isn't much more than a Primary Arms.

Guys spend $350 or more on garbage when they could have bought something like an older EOTech or Comp M2.  Nobody is saying everyone needs a $2,000 optic.

Heavy boy

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ummm, kind of? I don't want to spoil the video too much, so I'll just say it wasn't a catastrophic failure, nor did it get through unscathed. But here's a still from the highspeed we took to illustrate what the muzzle blast is doing. That's a piece of liverwurst with a Goldfish stuck to it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89956/splat-1838591.png
View Quote

I’m scared to ask why.

I’m also now a little hungry.

But mainly scared to ask why.

Why?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The AR's charging handle should, in my opinion, only be used for admin loading and malfunction clearance.  Using the charging handle to reload on bolt lock is stupid for multiple reasons.
View Quote

Im not sold on it either... But, for some people its what they prefer. The best discussion I have seen on the topic was Tactical forums, some skilled folks were breaking it down. Run what ever works best for you... I do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ha, I bet the lower one is loud as shit inside and outside. Really nice, don't get me wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Burning your house down is one way to end the threat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:14:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/Scale_Adjusted_Actual_Image_seen_TA45_an-1382011.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/TA_PA_AP_200_Yrd_Daylight-1387959.jpg

The PA GLx 2x prism is tits. If it is as robust as the ACOG, it wins.

no more aimpoints for me. Etched reticles only
View Quote

But the army doesn't use it so it must be unreliable.

Like you, I don't get the aimpoint love. It is a robust red dot, but not $800 worth of dot and if it goes down, you are looking into clear space.  

If I don't have an etched reticle, I definitely want BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Like you, I don't get the aimpoint love. It is a robust red dot, but not $800 worth of dot and if it goes down, you are looking into clear space.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/Scale_Adjusted_Actual_Image_seen_TA45_an-1382011.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/TA_PA_AP_200_Yrd_Daylight-1387959.jpg

The PA GLx 2x prism is tits. If it is as robust as the ACOG, it wins.

no more aimpoints for me. Etched reticles only

Its more about not buying things made in a country actively trying to destroy our own country
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The thing is, a cheap optic costs 200 dollars. An Aimpoint is 400 dollars. That's a pretty small gap to get top of the line quality compared to Chinese stuff which may or may not function well.

It's disingenuous to bring up S&B or Nightforce, because those optics are seriously expensive. But an Aimpoint is in the reach of everyone. Seriously, cheap out on the stock. Get a take off M4 from the EE for 5 bucks. Cheap out on the trigger, a GI model will function fine. Cheap out on the handguard, again a set of M4 ones from the EE for nothing. An A2 flash hider will work perfectly fine. Even cheap out on the lower; a PSA or Anderson is perfectly fine as long as you verify the specs on it.

But for the love of all that is holy, sack up and buy a good BCG, barrel, and optic. Everything else is optional.
View Quote

So I have an astigmatism, a red dot looks like a streak. What’s the better option for not that much more money?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo.  
I'm still rocking my M2L I bought used like 15years ago.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an Aimpoint PRO on one of my rifles. No magnification, no BDC and to some a red dot will give issues if they have astigmatism. I am fine as I had PRK laser eye surgery. But if red dots don't work then the only option is a prism or LPVO. LPVO is heavy and a good one will definitely hit the wallet.

Maybe someone wants the PA 2X prism for a reason? Based upon the same platform (PA 1X Cyclops) that has LE certification. As long as it functions and the shooter practices with it, it's not an issue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#46]
So, according to this thread...it doesn't matter which, but one of my HD carbines will surely be the death of me because they are only equipped with PA prismatics or EoTechs.

GD never disappoints.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have an Aimpoint PRO on one of my rifles. No magnification, no BDC and to some a red dot will give issues if they have astigmatism. I am fine as I had PRK laser eye surgery. But if red dots don't work then the only option is a prism or LPVO. LPVO is heavy and a good one will definitely hit the wallet.

Maybe someone wants the PA 2X prism for a reason? Based upon the same platform (PA 1X Cyclops) that has LE certification. As long as it functions and the shooter practices with it, it's not an issue.
View Quote

NX8 isn't heavy.   It's not cheap though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So, according to this thread...it doesn't matter which, but one of my HD carbines will surely be the death of me because they are only equipped with PA prismatics or EoTechs.

GD never disappoints.

View Quote

Well if a navy seal says so then.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#49]
GET ANDREW IN HERE FOR THE REAL BBQ

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#50]
I can understand not wanting to buy Chinese made optics.

I do not understand those who Chinese made optics are junk simply because they are made in China despite tons of evidence to the contrary.

"Your ______ optic will fail with absolute certainty because it was made in China but you _______ optic will never fail because it was made in Sweden"

I have seen Aimpoints fail and have certainly seen lot's of EOtech fail. I have also seen Chinese (PA, Vortex, Sig) work just fine for years and years and seen some intense torture test videos of those optics with them holding up great.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top