Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 12:16:40 PM EDT
This movie was so horrifically bad that I just couldn't stop watching.  I've seen car wrecks I could turn away from.  Not this movie.  Tim played the grizzled veteran sniper.  Billy Zane played the paperpusher who somehow got sent into the field for a mission.
I didn't take notes, so you'll have to accept scattered fragments of what I remember.
There was actually some good scenes in the movie that seemed to mimic real life.  Some mistakes were shown, such as Billy positioning himself badly and getting spotted.  Tom and Billy got into a shouting match in the jungle and nearly got killed.
The enemy sniper carried an SVT (I think).  It was ID'd as an AK by Tom, from the 'hammer recoil'. (WTF is hammer recoil?  Geez!)  Ghillie suits disappeared and magically reappeared, seemingly at random.  Tom sat on top of a tall rock, with sky behind him, to glass the enemy sniper.  They used their sniper rifles to clear a village, and they didn't even have the rifles shouldered.
The aforementioned shouting match occured because Billy didn't want to take orders from Tom, so Tom yelled back and slammed him against a tree, drawing the attention of hostile natives.
I'm no sniper, but IMO, this pair broke so many rules of sniping that they would have been killed five minutes into a real mission.  They drew attention to themselves six ways to sunday, then Billy intentionally fired a spoiler shit, missing a bad guy in purpose.
If you want to find out where the masses get their disinformation, watch this movie.  Otherwise, save yourself a sleepless, sobbing night.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Pneguins are bad and scary people.  Be careful when doing what they tell you!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay.  Any penguin that holds your beer and watches is alright in my book
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You forgot the REAL star:

Of course, mine just looks like her, she wasn't really in the movie.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You forgot the REAL star:

www.hunt101.com/img/134839.jpg

Of course, mine just looks like her, she wasn't really in the movie.

Shit, you are right.  I did note that they did select a real sniper rifle.  Very nice one.
Of course, they screwed up the wrapping on the rifle.  It moved around magically also
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This movie was so horrifically bad that I just couldn't stop watching.  I've seen car wrecks I could turn away from.  Not this movie.  Tim played the grizzled veteran sniper.  Billy Zane played the paperpusher who somehow got sent into the field for a mission.
I didn't take notes, so you'll have to accept scattered fragments of what I remember.
There was actually some good scenes in the movie that seemed to mimic real life.  Some mistakes were shown, such as Billy positioning himself badly and getting spotted.  Tom and Billy got into a shouting match in the jungle and nearly got killed.
The enemy sniper carried an SVT (I think).  It was ID'd as an AK by Tom, from the 'hammer recoil'. (WTF is hammer recoil?  Geez!)  Ghillie suits disappeared and magically reappeared, seemingly at random.  Tom sat on top of a tall rock, with sky behind him, to glass the enemy sniper.  They used their sniper rifles to clear a village, and they didn't even have the rifles shouldered.
The aforementioned shouting match occured because Billy didn't want to take orders from Tom, so Tom yelled back and slammed him against a tree, drawing the attention of hostile natives.
I'm no sniper, but IMO, this pair broke so many rules of sniping that they would have been killed five minutes into a real mission.  They drew attention to themselves six ways to sunday, then Billy intentionally fired a spoiler shit, missing a bad guy in purpose.
If you want to find out where the masses get their disinformation, watch this movie.  Otherwise, save yourself a sleepless, sobbing night.

I saw it yesterday too.... Found myself chuckling on a few occasions.....  'hammer recoil'... hehe... For the record, it was Mr. Zane who ID'd the weapon as an AK via his fine-tuned sense of hearing.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice HK!  Did the one you have come with the nifty scope with little blinky lights and numbers that mean nothing?  

E-95
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Apparently, in Sniper 2, Berringer fondles a Mosin Nagant, and says "Mauser, the finest rifle the Germans ever made."
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw it yesterday too.... Found myself chuckling on a few occasions.....  'hammer recoil'... hehe... For the record, it was Mr. Zane who ID'd the weapon as an AK via his fine-tuned sense of hearing.

Do you mean SVD?

In that case it could have been a (similar looking) FPK/PSL, which actually *is* a 7.62x54mm AK/RPK.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean SVD?

In that case it could have been a (similar looking) FPK/PSL, which actually *is* a 7.62x54mm AK/RPK.

Yes, I do mean SVD.  Chock it up to CRS (Can't remember shit).
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A PSL in the US would have been EXTREMELY rare the year that this movie was shot.  They didn't become common until the last 5 years.  If memory serves me correctly, 1998ish was the first year of their appearance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You're right.  That is bad tactics. Downright nasty.  Dirty even.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
It was also interesting to see how they stole a true life experience from Carlos Hathcock and placed it in the movie. The time where Berrenger shoots the other sniper and the bullet goes through his scope and kills him.  Also, did you notice this same snipers ghillie suit? It was cheesey as hell looking, like one of those you see from those cheap sporting goods catalogs or from Walmart.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Haha, yes that was the worst movie I've ever seen.  I saw it on TV a couple months ago.  I like how the one guy has this super cool stop-kneel down on back ankle-kick the front leg out with toes up handgun firing stance.  There were so many messed up things in that movie and I can hardly remember all of them now... but the best one was the "hammer recoil" LOL.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Nice HK!  Did the one you have come with the nifty scope with little blinky lights and numbers that mean nothing?  

E-95

I was going to ask the same question... WTF was that all about?

Is that a real PSG-1? I didn't think they had iron sights... what's the deal?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a moooooovie. What'd you expect?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

E-95

Thanks.  I couldn't get the blinky scope, they are only sold to "DC SWAT'.  The blinking lights are needed because there are so many high priority targets in DC.

It's an SR9T, but in TC configuration.  Postban 91, called the SR9, polygon barrel.  The T upgraded from the basic by (supposedly) specially selecting reciever/barrels for straightness (I"ve only heard this) and adding PSG1 trigger and grip, and the MSG90 stock.  I swapped out the MSG90 stock for the PSG1 stock you see in the photos.  It's MUCH heavier than the MSG stock, balances the rifle much better, and is easier to adjust.      
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh yeah the scope blinky things... I'm sure all that blinking crap really helped them out!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's an SR9T, but in TC configuration.  Postban 91, called the SR9, polygon barrel.  The T upgraded from the basic by (supposedly) specially selecting reciever/barrels for straightness (I"ve only heard this) and adding PSG1 trigger and grip, and the MSG90 stock.  I swapped out the MSG90 stock for the PSG1 stock you see in the photos.  It's MUCH heavier than the MSG stock, balances the rifle much better, and is easier to adjust.      

good to know... thanks

HK SR9 PSG1 Stock & Grip

HK SR9-TC

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I read that the PSG-1 in the movie was a G3 or similar rifle that was made to look like a PSG-1. I guess they ran out of money and couldn't afford to buy or rent one. It was probably because they spent too much money on those blinky electronic optics.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I rented the damn thing years ago , paid money my money and still turned it off .
That movie sucked so bad if  it was a chick she could suck the crome off a trailer ball.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I watched this a few weeks ago when it was on. should have known it would suck considering Billy Zane was in it. I had my own thread mocking it at the time
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

E-95

Thanks.  I couldn't get the blinky scope, they are only sold to "DC SWAT'.  The blinking lights are needed because there are so many high priority targets in DC.

Ah, I hate it when you can't purchase something you really want because it's restricted.  

Seriously, nice weapon you have there.

E-95
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top