Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 11:19:33 AM EDT
I was out of the picture for the weekend, and was wondering how the publicity stacked up.  I see nothing about it today, so I'll assume it failed to gain any traction...

Did it get any play outside of CSPAN?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#1]
It was reported on my local news last night, after a bunch of other things (including Southwest beginning operations at Philly International Airport and a mother-son pair graduating from LaSalle U.).

2000 protesters reported.

I howled with laughter.  I'm still chuckling.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
From our "pals" at the NY Times.
===============================================================================
www.nytimes.com/2004/05/10/national/10MOMS.html

May 10, 2004
Mother's Day Rally for Assault Weapons Ban
By GLEN JUSTICE

WASHINGTON, May 9 ? Carrying homemade signs and photographs of loved ones killed by gunfire, gun control advocates used a Mother's Day rally on Sunday to begin a campaign to lobby for renewal of a ban on assault weapons.

The rally, the Million Mom March, attracted about 2,500 people, its organizers said. It focused on supporting legislation to renew the 1994 ban on semiautomatic assault rifles, which is to expire in September.

The legislation is unlikely to move forward in the Republican-controlled Congress, and gun control advocates hope to make it an election year issue. They plan to travel to swing states and elsewhere to lobby, hold rallies and try to enlist local elected officials and police chiefs in calling attention to the bill, which focuses on guns like the AK-47, Uzi, Tec-9 and Street Sweeper.

"I think we've got a real chance to change the politics on this," said Michael D. Barnes, a former Maryland representative who is now president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "We know we are in for a real struggle, but it's winnable."

The battle pits the Brady Campaign, which has merged with the Million Mom March, against the National Rifle Association.

"I don't see the stomach for it on Capitol Hill," said Wayne LaPierre, the N.R.A.'s executive vice president, in an interview on Sunday.

House legislative leaders said last year that there would be no effort to renew the ban. Though senators supported it this year, tacking it onto another gun bill, that legislation was ultimately voted down.

By traveling to political battleground states, gun control advocates hope not only to sway Congress, but also to pressure President Bush into working to get the bill passed.

"He got the Congress to declare war in Iraq," said Donna Dees-Thomases, the founder of the Million Mom March. "He can get us to stop declaring war on ourselves."

Mr. Bush has supported the ban on assault weapons and has said he will sign the extension if it reaches his desk. His opponent, Senator John Kerry, has also backed it.

But advocates on both sides of the issue, and some lawmakers, say Congress will never act on the bill unless the president requests it.

"You can't just say you will sign a bill," said Representative Carolyn McCarthy, Democrat of New York. "If he has the political will, it will be done."

A White House spokesman, Brian Besanceney, said he did not have a list of the president's meetings with legislators on the weapons ban, but, he said, "The president's position on this issue remains unchanged."

Mr. LaPierre called the Federal Assault Weapons Act "a needless law that hasn't accomplished anything" and said the N.R.A. would lobby against it.

Gun rights supporters also held a rally on Sunday a few blocks away from the White House. Organized by Second Amendment Sisters, a group of women who support gun rights, the rally drew several hundred.

"Self-defense is a basic human right, and a firearm is the most effective means of self-defense," said Maria Heil, the group's spokeswoman.

Like Mr. LaPierre, Ms. Heil said she did not believe Congress would act on the bill extending the ban. She said the rally was timed to coincide with the Million Mom March because "we can't let them go unanswered."

Gun-related killings have declined in the last decade. The latest statistics available show there were 10,808 in 2002, according to the Department of Justice. That is down from a high of 17,048 in 1993, the year before the assault weapons ban was passed.

But killings, especially those involving children, still capture attention. In Washington last week, Chelsea Cromartie, 8, died while playing in a relative's living room when a stray bullet struck her in the head.

The story dominated local news, and the child's death was invoked at Sunday's gun control rally, which was held on the lawn in front of the Capitol.

"In the name of Chelsea, we stand strong and tall," said Eleanor Holmes Norton, who represents the District of Columbia in Congress. "The N.R.A. has met its nemesis."

The rally offered a preview of some of the appeals that advocates will take nationwide.

A massive quilt was on display, with each square containing the story of somebody marching. Many were written by marchers with a loved one killed by gunfire. Politicians, religious officials and families of those killed all spoke.

"These are not guns for the marksman," said the Rev. Jesse Jackson. "These are guns for those who spray and kill en masse."

Byrl Phillips-Taylor of Virginia, holding a picture of her 17-year-old son, who she said was killed with an assault rifle in 1989, said she would lobby tirelessly for the bill, as she did in the early 1990's.

"He was with me in the halls of Congress before, and he'll be with me again," she said in an interview. "That way they have to look at him."

Ms. Dees-Thomases, who helped organize the first Million Mom March in Washington in 2000, which drew hundreds of thousands, said it was those efforts that mattered.

"This was about coming here and looking at the Capitol, then going home and calling your congressman," she said.

Courtney C. Radsch and Brian Wingfield contributed reporting for this article.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#4]
The local radio news mentioned it as not quite meeting their goals.  Reported 2000 and didn't snicker on the air but the implication that it was a flop was quite clear.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was out of the picture for the weekend, and was wondering how the publicity stacked up.  I see nothing about it today, so I'll assume it failed to gain any traction...

Did it get any play outside of CSPAN?

The headlines for the "Million Mom March" SHOULD read:

Organizers of the Million Mom March overestimate attendance by 998,000
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet...
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]

"These are not guns for the marksman," said the Rev. Jesse Jackson. "These are guns for those who spray and kill en masse."

Have I been doing this wrong?  I haven't been spraying, and I surely haven't been killing en masse.  How about you guys?  Are we not using our firearms properly?  We're not shooting the way Jesse says to.

Well, I choose not to fit his stereotype.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't know that Jesse Jackson was a mom...
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I am watching the 2k Mom thing and bake sale on CSpan right now.  They just had some guy with a "D" after his name spouting how it takes a .50 cal "sniper rifles" to put a hole in the side of an airplane and that terrorist have such weapons.  And that is why the AWB has to be renewed.  

What a tool.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I think that was congressman Varner from Virginia.  He also spouted the VPC lie that Bush sold the Taliban 25 Barretts.  No, we sent those to the Afghan muhjadeen in the 1980's, when they were our allies against the USSR.  We sold trucks and planes to Stalin in the 1940's too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think that was congressman Varner from Virginia.  

Yep, thats the moron.  

I also saw during Jessy's ranting and rallying, not to many people seemed interested in listening to him.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
"These are not guns for the marksman," said noted firearms expert the Rev. Jesse Jackson. "These are guns for those who spray and kill en masse."

Right?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, thats the moron.  

I also saw during Jessy's ranting and rallying, not to many people seemed interested in listening to him.

Could it be SENATOR John WARNER?  He's on record to renew the ban. Being barried to Liz Taylor CAN drain a man of his senses, though, so that might explain it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, thats the moron.  

Could it be SENATOR John WARNER?  He's on record to renew the ban. Being barried to Liz Taylor CAN drain a man of his senses, though, so that might explain it.

I don't know Fenian if he was Sen. Warner or not.  

I Googles the Sen and the guy I remember (like wow, it was a whole 3 hours ago) was a middle aged balding man with glasses.

I do remember that he was a Demo. from VA and he kept spewing shit from his pie (I like pie ) hole.  Not one thing he stated was anywhere close to the truth (like that ever stopped them) and he kept harping on 50 cals. and how the AWB needed to be renewed to keep them off the streets and that they were needed to shoot down aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Have I been doing this wrong?  I haven't been spraying, and I surely haven't been killing en masse.  How about you guys?  Are we not using our firearms properly?  We're not shooting the way Jesse says to.

Well, I choose not to fit his stereotype.  

Well, dammit, I wish they would make up  their minds.  During Malvo's and Muhammed's idiotic spree, they were super-accurate sniper rifles.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Think they will ever recognize underwhelming support, which is getting thinner every day the Muslam terror threat increases?

Another group seriously wasting air; all their travel to DC accomplished was to drive up the cost of gasoline.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#19]
So if 2000 were in attendance, how many were "moms"?  Please exclude the children and the Males from the count.  Probably 999,500 lazy fat ass bitches missed the convention.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#20]
didn't see anything on FoxNews all day, same with CNN, did see it on Headline News though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top