Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 11:17:25 AM EDT
Ref: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=242446

Seeing how I'm not going to be doing any shooting or much reloading for many months, I've decided to go ahead and get my amateur radio Technician Class licence. I'll have plenty of time now to study for the test.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good starter radio and antenna? I won't be climbing any ladders for a while, so antenna needs to be something friends and my teenage boys can install.

Thanks in advace. HW
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an unused Kenwood TH-6a and some beginners books for sale.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you a complete list of stuff I have and a price.

www.texastowers.com/thf6a.htm
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have an unused Kenwood TH-6a and some beginners books for sale.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you a complete list of stuff I have and a price.
www.texastowers.com/thf6a.htm

motopix
I already have a Yaesu VX-5R. Don't really need another HT.
Thanks though. HW
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you looking to het into the HF side of things or VHF/UHF.

I've had my ticket for almost 20 years now and still haven't picked up a HF rig.  Primarily antenna or $$ challenges  or both depending.

If you are going VHF/UHF , a dual bander mobile from Kenwood, Icon or Yaesu with a good mag-mount will be a good start for mobile.   For the house, probably an omni-directional antenna is best (a local ham can help here.  If you are out of town a ways or have other needs a directioanl to get more power effectively in to a repeater or where most activity is may be better DEPENDS on your location)

The other possibility is an HT with an amplifier for the vehicle.  This gives you the ability to carry the HT.  Again depends on your activities.

I have several Yaesu and Icon  HTs and mobiles and have had no problems.  Used Kenwoods and they were fine too.

HF rigs.  If I was to do it now I would get either the Kenwood or Icon mobile  and tuner and mobile mount it AND have an antenna at home.  As a beginner, I really can't recommend one of the full bore all the bells and whistles models.  You really don't have the skills or knowledge touse all the various goodies, and unless you are a real real fanatic you won't use them so it is $$ down the drain.  Use the $$ for a better antenna system.  I've been to several shacks and on a lot of field days, and  have never seen the tweakiest features used.  Once you get some operation under your belt, you can determine what you really need and go for it then.

You can get more bang for your buck by getting a little better antenna and getting it higher up than just about anything else you can do  

I was "attached" to the ER Supervisor that response.  I kind of made it easier to find her in the crowd.  I'm not that much taller, they were all really that much shorter.
s
members.aol.com/emcom4hosp/metro2.html
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
eham.net has thousands of reviews of radios, antennas and other hardware...both new and vintage. Their forums section is also a good place to get info about licensing, regulations, operating practices, etc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Technician's license generally means 2meter and 440 ragchewing over repeaters. You don't need much of an antenna for that. If costs are a concern, check out the hombrew antennas using a panel mound connector and some brazing rods, jpoles with copper pipe, and a bunch of others. You don't need a towering 2m/440 antenna for that matter either. You just need to hit the repeaters at full quieting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Hunter warrior,
If you're allowed on HF, (I thought I heard where the regs now allow tec's on HF) the 14AVQ trap verticle is a good start. Very portable and doesn't take up too much space. I had, at one time, strapped mine to a tree trunk. If you are near Phila. Pa., I have a three section, seventy five foot tower with a Mosley TA33 and rotor. Price, you ask? ...Come and get it.

John

Edited; ....BTW, "real radios glow in the dark."
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the club! I love ham radio, my level of acivity will fluctuate depending on what else is going on in my life but I always come back to it.

What kind of activity are you interested in? VHF UHF FM or SSB? Whats you budget?

For the most bang for your buck its hard to beat the Icom IC-706MKIIG. 6m,2m, 440 FM and SSB all in one package, plus HF coverage for when you upgrade and general coverage recive for HF listening.

For antenna, if you want a one antenna does all thats easy to put up, a discone is hard to beat. No gain to speak up, but broadbanded, needs no tuning, and not very expensive. Youcan upgrade once you can get on the roof yourself.

Lately I've been using almost all Motorola and Kenwood commercial grade gear, its not cheap, and more difficult to program, but the audio and ruggedness can't be beat!

BTW, there is a new site that explores the "dark underbelly" of our hobby so to speak, and its freakin hillarious!

www.hamsexy.com Those of you that are hams will laugh your ass off, be sure to check last weeks archives!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top