Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2004 9:48:33 AM EDT
story here..

GAZA CITY (AFP) - Pictures of Iraqi prisoners being abused by US troops and vengeful inscriptions were found on desecrated graves of British soldiers of World War I in Gaza City, the cemetery curator said.

AFP Photo

AFP  
Slideshow: Mideast Conflict

"Eight to ten men smashed 32 tombstones Sunday night," said Issam Jaradah, who is in charge of the northern Gaza City cemetery's maintenance.

Some of the infamous pictures depicting scenes of mistreatment inside the US-run Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq (news - web sites) were found stuck on the tombs, some of which also bore the Nazi swastika and the inscription in English "Revenge", Jaradah told AFP.

He said that he and his father prevented the vandals, some of whom were armed, from desecrating more of the tombs in the Gaza War Cemetery.

The Jaradah family, eight members of which receive salaries from the British embassy in Israel, has been in charge of the cemetery for more than 60 years. It has never before been desecrated.

A Palestinian security source strongly condemned the desecration and promised "the necessary measures" against those responsible.

A spokesman for the British Consulate-General also condemned "this act of vandalism" but would not comment on possible measures for British citizens in the Gaza Strip (news - web sites) or the West Bank.

Pictures were aired last week on US television showing inmates at the Abu Ghraib prison outside Baghdad, some naked, in humiliating, sexually suggestive poses, with some images also showing US military personnel pointing and laughing at prisoners.

The pictures sparked outrage worldwide, especially in the Arab world.

The Daily Mirror also printed photographs apparently showing British troops beating and urinating on an Iraqi prisoner.

According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, the Gaza cemetery contains 3,217 Commonwealth burials from World War One, 781 of them unidentified. World War Two burials number 210.

There are also 30 post war burials and 234 war graves of other nationalities, the organisation says on its website.

British troops fought three battle against Turkish troops in the Gaza Strip during World War I.

They finally broke the Turkish lines in 1917 under the command of General Sir Edmund Allenby in the Third Battle of Gaza and marched on to capture Jerusalem.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Ignorance and retardation at work.

A-holes!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Boy, that made a difference.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Animals.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you media giants for beaming those picture world wide!!!
Note the sarcasm!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Morons.  The British were on the Arabs' side in Palestine.  They did everything they could to keep the Jews out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I think we all knew these photos were going to cause us problems.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#7]
WHY OH WHY DID THE JACKASSES FEEL THE NEED TO TAKE PICTURES OF WHAT THEY WERE DOING?

I mean, really, doing it is bad enough, but taking pictures?  FUCK, we should execute them for their stupidity if nothing else.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
WHY OH WHY DID THE JACKASSES FEEL THE NEED TO TAKE PICTURES OF WHAT THEY WERE DOING?

I mean, really, doing it is bad enough, but taking pictures?  FUCK, we should execute them for their stupidity if nothing else.

One word.....Morons!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The pictures sparked outrage worldwide, especially in the Arab world.

I really wish they would stay in their own fucking world!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't go so far as to execute 'em, but slapping them in the forehead really hard twice a day for the next 20 years would seem appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.lucianne.com/routine/images/05-10-04.jpg

duly saved to HD and emailed to lots of folks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top