Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2004 3:29:11 AM EDT
Polish Cops Accidentally Use Live Bullets
May 9, 11:19 PM (ET)

WARSAW, Poland (AP) - Police mistakenly opened fire with live ammunition to stop a street fight in a central Polish city, killing a 19-year-old man and wounding three others, officials said Sunday.

A 23-year-old woman was in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head and two others were seriously wounded in the violence late Saturday in Lodz.

The shootings prompted Lodz police chief Jan Feja and his deputy, Sylwester Stepien, to resign. Lodz Mayor Jerzy Kropiwnicki called for three days of mourning.

The fighting began when a group of soccer fans, apparently angered when their team lost a match, attacked some students. The attackers threw stones and bottles at police as they arrived.

Police responded by firing rubber bullets to disperse the fighters. But some officers accidently reloaded with live ammunition and fired six rounds before realizing their mistake, deputy national police chief Henryk Tokarski told Poland's PAP news agency. Four people were hit.

Krzysztof Piatkowski, an emergency official in the city, said as many as 70 people were injured and 19 people detained in Saturday's disturbances.

Polish media reported that the soccer fans were returning from a match in which local team Widzew Lodz lost 2-1 to rival Gornik Zabrze when they started attacking the students.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#1]
[Homer J. Simpson]Do'h[/Homer J. Simpson]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a Polock joke in here somewhere.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Shit happens.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont wanna get shot/killed then dont riot and harm another person who is not harming u...end of story.

Where the hell is responsibility nowadays w/ peeps?

Maybe couple more of these event would put some sense into these love to riot folks - DONT F-King DO IT!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
What is it with soccer that people just go nuts when their team loses?  I mean, people may get a little upset here with our version of football, but you don't see riots.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
At least they were rioting when their team lost.

It seems the latest trend in the inner cities  her in the US is to riot when their team wins.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is it with soccer that people just go nuts when their team loses?  I mean, people may get a little upset here with our version of football, but you don't see riots.

You sure see it with Basketball.. College hoops.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Polish Cops Accidentally Use Live Bullets
May 9, 11:19 PM (ET)

Damn Unions. This is what happens...!!!

-LS
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Fuck them!  Riots deserve LIVE rounds and NOT teargas only.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
No, not possible. We all know that law enforcement officers never make any mistakes when using firearms and that it's only the civilians that do. You can bet this story was probably made up by a bunch of gun nut AR-15 loving baby killers to make it look like they are actually capable of making mistakes to further the case that civilians need guns too. I say ban them all. Only let the gubberment have them...
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#11]
The only  mistake was using rubber bullets to begin with

[polishcop]Yeah, I accidentally reloaded with live ammo. yep, thats what happened, I feel terrible...[/polishcop]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#12]
How will I ever get over this tragedy?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#13]
They should just do what the Russians did.  When the Chechnyans took over a theatre, when was it, 9 months ago?  They pumped in a sedative gas then came in ready to shoot anything that moved.  It was actually realitively successful.  I believe that out of around 200 people, only 3 died from the entire ordeal.  I believe that only 2 of those deaths were due to the gas inhalation, which is an amazingly low body count for what the Chechnyans usually take with them.  No screwing around there!!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#14]
[imbroglio] You neo-cons should feel safer in your beds tonight, because one of our brave allies in the war in terror has shown itself to be a collective part of the will to win by squashing all would be terrorists, both home-grown and foreign. What would happen to our will to resist, were there to be cracks in our armor? At least the police officers came home to their families, safe and sound. And that's what's most important!

Peace be with you.[/imbroglio]

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The only  mistake was using rubber bullets to begin with

[polishcop]Yeah, I accidentally reloaded with live ammo. yep, thats what happened, I feel terrible...[/polishcop]

I think some of those Polish cops musta been from Chicago, mebbe worked fer Hizzoner Mayor Daley back in the Sixties, hey?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They should just do what the Russians did.  When the Chechnyans took over a theatre, when was it, 9 months ago?  They pumped in a sedative gas then came in ready to shoot anything that moved.  It was actually realitively successful.  I believe that out of around 200 people, only 3 died from the entire ordeal.  I believe that only 2 of those deaths were due to the gas inhalation, which is an amazingly low body count for what the Chechnyans usually take with them.  No screwing around there!!!!

Your numbers are off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I remember lots of people dead or messed up because of the gas.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#18]
oopsie...
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Umm, yeah, more like 150 people died, and most of them were innocent.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I like how the article calls the 19 year old a man.

In the US it would be "19 year old child slain with bullet hoses during scuffle after peaceful soccer game."
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Umm, yeah, more like 150 people died, and most of them were innocent.

The Russians have always lacked...what could be called finesse or subtlety.  When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  The Russians make good use of their hammer.

About the Poles...shit happens.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I belive there were more than 200, much more. and something like 115 was the official body count.
I was watching an hour-long show on this a few days ago, and basically nobody died of the sedative alone, but basically everyone either suffocated (many swallowed their tounges), or drowned in their own vomit (puked, and were either seated with their heads tilted back or already outside, laying on their backs).

Basically, what that OP needed  was every one of the Russian swat-type guys being medic trained and knowing how to care for people who are sedated. More police -to- victim ration would be good, too (instead of just a relatively small team bringing them all out a couple at a time).
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, but did it stop the fight ?

Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top