Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool pics, even if most of em are airdales
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Problem with Airdales Bubblehead?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Question from a treadhead & grunt - 8th pic down/9th from bottom - the black chick working on the ordnance - what is it that
she's working on, and what are the blue tube-looking things on the racks behind her?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

i haven't earned the title QUITE yet...still got a few months to go
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

what goes down with 150 men and comes up with 75 couples

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to get my one low shot in there...but Ill shut my damn trap now since Im still a newbie bitch

I do have one question thought...those helicopter gunners....what rate are most of em?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Question from a treadhead & grunt - 8th pic down/9th from bottom - the black chick working on the ordnance - what is it that
she's working on, and what are the blue tube-looking things on the racks behind her?

Let me put it in terms you'll understand:

Make big boom.  Me not to be near when go boom.  Aye-aye Gunny!  Gung Ho!  

E-95
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Dumb question.....

are those concrete bombs?!

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dumb question.....

What?  You think we are going to drop EXPLOSIVES on innocents???

Get with the PC already!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dumb question.....

What?  You think we are going to drop EXPLOSIVES on innocents???

Get with the PC already!

sorry, it must have slipped my mind.

are we dropping rose pedals and handfulls of wishes yet?

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

E-95

2000 lber   BIG BOOMMER
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had to get my one low shot in there...but Ill shut my damn trap now since Im still a newbie bitch

I do have one question thought...those helicopter gunners....what rate are most of em?

AO and AWS are the 2 rates that come to mind
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

E-95

2000 lber   BIG BOOMMER

Is it a Mk84 without the fins and fuse?

E-95
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

E-95

2000 lber   BIG BOOMMER

Is it a Mk84 without the fins and fuse?

E-95

You are Correct Sir
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool pictures...

Question: why do Mk82/Mk84 type bombs have a "papery"/"cement" surface texture? I've always wondered this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cool pictures...

Question: why do Mk82/Mk84 type bombs have a "papery"/"cement" surface texture? I've always wondered this.

Thermal protection(required aboard ship) identification on Mk 80 series bombs is indicated by textured surface on the weapon as well as two yellow bands on the nose.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#17]
So that's a coating of some kind that prevents the bomb from "cooking off" if there's a fire? Or an indication that you'd better get them out?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So that's a coating of some kind that prevents the bomb from "cooking off" if there's a fire? Or an indication that you'd better get them out?

Thermal protection helps ward off a "cook off".  I would guess that the texture helps identify the weapon in a dark environment also, dpmmn?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thermal protection helps ward off a "cook off".  I would guess that the texture helps identify the weapon in a dark environment also, dpmmn?

Flight decks are windy dark places for Night Flight Ops, Our Tomcats were not Attack capable
so we didn't get to play with them.    

"Cook off" is always a problem waiting to happen, I tried very hard to stay away from the Bomb Farm at all costs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh wow, it's the VP hanger on Kadena, Okinawa.  One of my old det sites.  Being an Air Farce base, the Navy hanger is on the far side of the runway next to the Japanese crematorium.
The Screaming Eagles of VP-1 were my second VP squadron.  Appearantly somebody is going to do some Coonass fishing with the Mk82.

www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_040506-N-3770P-004.jpg

P-3 Orions RULE!

Fritz
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Holy cow Fritz! Small world. I was with VP-1 as an NFO from 1992 to 1996 (extended). Made the homeport change to Whidbwy Island NAS and such!
When were you there?
Zack
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#22]
How did that training item sneak in?

IYAAYAS!

Kadena '80-'85 on the AF side (actually in the Bomb Dump).

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#23]
BTT for the Day crew
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#24]

those guys all have to be aircrew qualified right?(the helicopter folks I was referring to)

just trying to broaden my knowledge
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Ah, population control and landscaping at it’s finest!

Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#26]
You know, this reminded me of something I saw on TV the other day; I can't remember who it was but they thought it was wrong for the US to write messages on our bombs

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

those guys all have to be aircrew qualified right?(the helicopter folks I was referring to)

just trying to broaden my knowledge

Correct, Depending on your rating you can get your chance at Air Crew School.

I was an AO so it happened with out much trouble. The only problem I had at first was getting seat time for Aircrew pay, being attached to a Fighter Squadron.
In 1983 I went to a Helo Squadron, after that it wasn't too bad
Those Gold Wings are nice to have.
Myabe you should think about changing rates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top