Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 5:18:01 PM EDT
So I was at the pump getting gas for my truck today...with my head in clouds looking around and I notice these large white bags of fertilizer...YES at the gas station...and yes right next to the gas station, there is a U-Haul truck rental. Now I know it's not Ryder...but...does anyone else pick up on these things or am I just going crazy.....(Your Terrorist one stop shop as far as I'm concerned)

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it needs to be much stronger stuff.

Maybe for the terorist trainee
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Hm...that's really curious, the stations here just sell Cheetos and cigs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you need some TNT or big-ass blasting caps, too. What was on the display rack by the cash register?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Where I buy my gas they had bagged mulch, so I picked up a few and it saved me a trip to Home Depot
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
This place has got everything!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]
4-6-4 is not ammonium nitrate, which is what's used in so-called "fertilizer bombs"

AN's fertilizer code is something like 36-0-0 or 34-0-0
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does anyone else notice these things?

No ! YOU are the only one who does ! Get professional help !
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I'm just odd because I grew up actually using ammonium nitrate (and other farm supplies) but the average american knows about as much about fertilizer bombs as the average reporter knows about firearms. The stuff in your picture is a common garden fertilizer, probably made up of relatively small amounts of ammonium nitrate. Regular ammonium nitrate is white (the color of the bag does not matter) costs around $150/ton, and is rarely sold at gas stations.

Oh, and if not mixed properly, ammonium/diesel bombs are messy. BTDT, back before it occured to anyone that explosives were somehow evil.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If they sold beer and ammo it would be perfect!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Nah, this was in MA, however this was a liquior store accross the street...I wasn't so worried about the color of the bags, but more so you the reader would know what I was describing...I',m sorry some of you couldn't just see the humor in the matter...I forget how tightly wrapped some of you are.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Full strength ammonium nitrate is no longer sold by garden supply places in small quantities.  It is ordered in multi-ton quantities and there is a paper trail.  You can still buy it in small amounts (pounds) from chemical supply places because it is used in model rocketry for homemade solid rocket fuels (mixed with magnesium and binder).  The stuff sold at garden supply places in the past came in the form of granules that were usually coated with calcium stearate or similar chemical to help slow the absorption of water.  Ammonium nitrate is very hygroscopic and a pile left exposed to moist air will absorb enough moisture to form a puddle of ammonium nitrate solution.  Anyway, the calcium stearate coating requires that you break up the granules while mixing with a sensitizer/fuel (diesel fuel, aluminum powder or nitromethane).  Ammonium nitrate is by far the most commonly used explosive in the world because of its extensive use in mining.  Anything they sell in garden stores is so dilute as to be worthless as an explosive.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Maybe I'm just odd because I grew up actually using ammonium nitrate (and other farm supplies) but the average american knows about as much about fertilizer bombs as the average reporter knows about firearms. The stuff in your picture is a common garden fertilizer, probably made up of relatively small amounts of ammonium nitrate. Regular ammonium nitrate is white (the color of the bag does not matter) costs around $150/ton, and is rarely sold at gas stations.

Oh, and if not mixed properly, ammonium/diesel bombs are messy. BTDT, back before it occured to anyone that explosives were somehow evil.

it was 4-6-4  ..............................................
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
4-6-4 is not ammonium nitrate, which is what's used in so-called "fertilizer bombs"

The first number just means that there is 4% nitrate in the fertilizer.

Could be ammonium nitrate, could be urea nitrate, could be..
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Nah, this was in MA, however this was a liquior store accross the street...

Tell me more.  Where is this place?

Hoppy8420
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Pie?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#16]
My gas station sells gas, beer, C4, cigarettes, RPGs, bread, gives flight training on the weekend, will rotate your tires, launder money through offshore accounts, takes up collections for Timmy, the local kid in need of an operation that his family can't afford, provides free Internet access through untraceable public machines (just like at the local public library), and check you oil.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So I was at the pump getting gas for my truck today...with my head in clouds looking around and I notice these large white bags of fertilizer...YES at the gas station...and yes right next to the gas station, there is a U-Haul truck rental. Now I know it's not Ryder...but...does anyone else pick up on these things or am I just going crazy.....(Your Terrorist one stop shop as far as I'm concerned)

www.hunt101.com/img/152151.jpg

no not really. looks more like BS paranoia to me. It takes a talented hand to make the kind of stuff that those idiots that blew the OK building did. not to mention that the press has been lying about the simplicity of that for years now.

You can put fuel oil and fertilizer together if you want, but unless they are in the right amounts and have a blasting cap (which cannot be made easily at all) - (at least i havnt tried it) then you have a waste of time.

That gas station isnt any more a "terrorist one stop shop" than a gunstore.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/152151.jpg

no not really. looks more like BS paranoia to me. It takes a talented hand to make the kind of stuff that those idiots that blew the OK building did. not to mention that the press has been lying about the simplicity of that for years now.

You can put fuel oil and fertilizer together if you want, but unless they are in the right amounts and have a blasting cap (which cannot be made easily at all) - (at least i havnt tried it) then you have a waste of time.

Not to mention you also need a stick of dynamite, or equivelent, in the center of the charge, otherwise it won't work well.

Hoppy8420
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#19]
you people are missing the point here. This was suppose to make you laugh and chuckle....hehehe...its funny....now get over it...It was in Natick Ma, right near RTE90.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#20]
It's really not funny but my wifes uncle took a picture of some numbnut that parked a Ryder truck in front of the blown up OKC building.

It odd.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

In all honesty, a ten year old kid with a few basic supplies could assemble the OKC bomb, or one functionally similar. Ammonium/diesel (or other fuel oil) don't have to be mixed in perfect quantities ro work. Like with horseshoes, just get close. Again, very messy. However, if you DO want to build them perfectly, the information isn't exactly top secret. As far as a detonator, those aren't terribly hard to build either.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Humorous observation.

Ban gas stations.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pie?

Behind the counter!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Nah, this was in MA, however this was a liquior store accross the street...I wasn't so worried about the color of the bags, but more so you the reader would know what I was describing...I',m sorry some of you couldn't just see the humor in the matter...I forget how tightly wrapped some of you are.

gotta get the "i made a funny" smiley in there next time huh?  

ETA: what part of NH are you from Colt_sporter?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first number just means that there is 4% nitrate in the fertilizer.

Could be ammonium nitrate, could be urea nitrate, could be..

Well, let's get our fertilizer terminology straight here. The numbers represent equivalents of N - P205 - K20 (2 & 5 are subscripts). The N = Nitrogen which may be either nitrate or ammoniacal based.

NMSight
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#26]
4-6-4 is some really shitty fertilizer.

A triple 15 or some sort of triple fertilizer is much better.

32-2-0 is good for making the grass grow and buring up the lawn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top