Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 3:10:00 PM EDT
Figured I'd ask the world reknowned experts on ARFCOM this perplexing question.  I'm not a welder by any means so I don't know the best way to accomplish this mission.

What's the best way to remove weld material from the oprod channel of an M1 Garand?  Also, what's the best way to separate the gas cylinder from the cylinder lock without totally screwing it up?  It's welded too.

Just so you know, these rifles will never be fired.  They are for ROTC and need to be refinished.  In order to do that, they need to be taken apart so the parts and barreled receiver can be reparkarized.  Can't do that with the wood still on.  The rifles need to look good so I need a way to remove the weld without tearing up the receiver and the gas cylinder.  The barrel is welded to the receiver and a plug welded inside the chamber.  These will not be touched.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:25:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Dremel tool and a pack of abrasive disks and stones of various grits..

Why is the gas cylinder welded?  I can understand (well, not really) welding a plug in the chamber and barrel to the receiver. But, the gas cylinder?

Depending on how much weld you need to remove, you may be better off just butchering the gas cylinder and buying a cheap (worn out) replacement.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know why they welded the gas cylinder unless they didn't want the rifle taken apart.  The weld in the oprod channel and the gas cylinder makes it to where it cannot be field stripped.  Can't get the oprod out of the channel and the lock is welded to the cylinder.  I was planning to use a Dremel, but was hoping for an easier/better way to do it.  Oh, well.  If I can find worn out gas cylinders, I will just replace them.  They only have to look good once they are reparked.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Stack them in the corner and order some rack grade Danish returns from CMP for $371 each.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't know why they welded the gas cylinder unless they didn't want the rifle taken apart.  The weld in the oprod channel and the gas cylinder makes it to where it cannot be field stripped.  Can't get the oprod out of the channel and the lock is welded to the cylinder.  I was planning to use a Dremel, but was hoping for an easier/better way to do it. Oh, well.  If I can find worn out gas cylinders, I will just replace them.  They only have to look good once they are reparked.

Garand gas cyl, lock, and plug are stainless steel. They don't parkerize. Need to be blued or painted.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reminder.  I guess I'll have to try to paint them flat black or have my friend refinish them with something he does.  It isn't parkarizing, but something else.  Very durable and it is a flat black finish.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Stack them in the corner and order some rack grade Danish returns from CMP for $371 each.

Can't do it.  We can't use functional weapons.  Too much liability and no arms room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top