Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 10:10:59 PM EDT
Can I just plug my laptop into my desktop with an ethernet cable?

It seems kind of silly that I'd have to buy a router just to plug these two things together.  I have Win 2000 on the desktop and 98 on the laptop.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you trying to do with the 2?

Transfer files between the 2?
- Install netbeui on both systems and get a crossover cable to connect them together.

or

Internet access for the 2 at the same time?
- Get a router.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
To network two computers together, all you need is a cross-over cable.  This is not a regular ethernet cable.  For a more detailed explanation, reference the following link:

www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
all I'm trying to do is transfer my photos and mp3s from my desktop to the laptop so I can reformat the HD on my desktop.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Then get the crossover cable that Nimrod talks about and install the netbeui protocol.

Netbeui doesn't need to be configured so the 2 computers should see each other after its installed on both.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, pretend like I don't know shit about computers

What's a netbui?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
OK...

Computer use different protocols to communicate with each other.
When using the internet you are using the TCP/IP protocol.

Netbeui is a protocol that MS designed for doing exactly what your doing. (file sharing without to much hassle)

To install it..
Win2k (just do step 1)

Win98

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Just plug in the crossover cable to the network cards, get the IP address of one machine and map a drive to it, then copy your files.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
On the other hand of you setup everything through a router you can shares files and internet connection anytime without changing anything later.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It isn't necessary to install NetBEUI.  Both machines, assuming they have net cards, will have TCP/IP installed by default.

Having talked many inexperienced users through this over the phone I've found it's easier just to install netbeui than reconfigure TCP/IP. They would always call back because they'd forget to revert the settings and their internet connection wouldn't work.

norman74

You will also need to turn on the guest account on the Win2k desktop.

If you don't do this the 98 Box will not be able open any of the shares on the Win2k system. The alternative is to share everything on the Win98 systems and connect to it with the Win2k system.

Here's how:

1. Right click on My Computer and select Manage
2.  In the left hand pane click on the plus next to Local Users and Groups
3. Click on the Users folder
4. In the right hand pane  double click on the Guest account
5. Uncheck the Account is Disabled box and click OK

If you don't do this the 98 Box will not be able open any of the shares on the Win2k system. The alternative is to share everything on the Win98 systems and connect to it with the Win2k system.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Uhh, he needs to know how to do a crossover cable.

End One:

White-Orange, Orange, White-Green, Blue, White-Blue, Green, White-Brown, Brown

Other end:

White-Green, Green, White-Orange, Blue, White-Blue, Orange, White-Brown, Brown

When you get an "Ethernet Crossover Cable", make sure the colors "match differently" as described above, if you don't get link lights (green light on plug in) when you plug them together, you probably do not have a crossover cable.

I am talking about Ethernet to Ethernet connection, if you are going to do USB or Firewire networking, that is a bit different.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Either of the methods will work to transfer files between your PC's.  If you are running on a cable or DSL broadband service you should always be running behind a hardware firewall/router.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Hm, don't enable the Guest account on the Win2000.  Easier to enable sharing on the Win98.  Win2000 like any NT4 based OS is a multpile user OS that uses user profiles, if he accesses the Win2000 machine from Win98 he needs to find his profile (C:\Documents and Settings\HisUserName, or if it's upgraded from a previous OS, C:\WINNT\Profiles\HisUserName), unless the stuff he wants are on the root of the C drive.   Win98 by default stores everything on the root level, therefore easier to locate the files to copy.

What's easier is buy a USB flash drive, 256MB only costs $60 or so.  It's old fashioned as SneakerNet but far easier.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Norman74, if you have broadband, get a router with the built-in switch!  Then you can connect your two PC's with straight thru -Cat5 cable and not have to get a Crossover cable also the Router will be act as a Firewall.  Troy is exactly right, you don't have to have Netbui, you can just set the IP setting just as he gave them and both machines will see each other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top