Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 7:54:30 PM EDT
adcache.cycletrader.com/5/9/2/70224592.htm

A 2 year old 900cc bike with under 5k miles on it for under $4k?  What's going on here?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
what's the blue book value?

that does seem pretty low

insurance is supposed to be an SOB on that bike.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
insurance is supposed to be an SOB on that bike.

Isn't it on all sportbikes?  At that price though I wouldn't bother insuring it.  Just write the seller a check and take my chances.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably has had the shit run out of it.  Maybe he didn't follow the scheduled maintenance and pretty much fucked it up.  Who knows.

By the way, isn't insurance a bitch on all those bikes.  When I had a CBR 600F2 (91 & 92 models) the insurance wasn't bad but they were assholes at some places about those things.  Needless to say, I plan on getting another bike down the road.  I hope the insurance isn't too bad then.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
CBR 600 -vs- 900 is supposed to be a big difference in insurance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine was pretty good, but I had to look around before I found a place willing to deal.  Wouldn't a 1000 or 1200 be pretty much the same though (e.g., GSX-R, Ninja )
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The pictures look like a CBR929RR which would date it around two years old. The bike's photo shows "Fireblade" on the side -that's the European market name for the CBR9xx bikes and to my knowledge was never carried over to the US. Wierd.

Edit to add:
Could be Canadian, either way your instruments could be all metric.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Check where the bike is actually located.  My bet is that it's in Europe and the seller is here in the US.  I ran into this as I was looking for bikes on that site.  Who knows though, maybe it's just a good deal?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
What we have here is a great boke that was TOTALLY outclassed by it's newer peers since it was bought. This particular bike is a very nice motorcycle, just not as fast the bikes it was up against since then. It's no slouch for sure, but it's got more in common with 600's and 750's of today than the 1000cc class it lives in. The development of 1000CC bikes since this one was released puts this one at about a 30hp disadvantage. The new R1 and ZX10R make low-mid 160hp at the back wheel, these bikes made more like 127-134 on the later models. Since numbers sell bikes, and everyone and their brother bought one of these on it's name rather than how good it was, they are everywhere for a song. Dealers took a big hit on them once the GSXR1000 and R1 bitch-slapped it in magazine tests. Sad thing is that it was and is a good bike, just not the best you could get for $10,000.

Some things that stand out: this is not a CBR900RR (that was an older bike), it is a CBR929RR. You need to ask him why it has a custom paint job (was it laid down??) It may be that it was laid down and he foxed it himself with light damage. If you can't see the bike before you buy it, do a CarFax on it. Sounds like it is legit, a personal conversation would tell you a lot. His price is reflective of somone needing to get a straight  CBR929 off his hands quickly. It appears worth it.

For reference, this is a 430lb bike with all the fluids in it, so it's no handling slouch. There's enough motor to do a 10.30's quarter mile and a top end of 170 +-. You'll love it if you don't have little dick complex about newer bikes.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Its so cheap because it's an underpowered POS.

The Suzuki GSXR750 was just as fast in the quarter mile and faster on the top end (stock).

In 2000 Honda went from a 900cc engine to a 929cc engine, then in 2002 it went to 954cc engine, and then in 2004 the entire line was dropped for the CBR1000RR.

There are a shitload of them out there for sale. You can probably find a 2003 on the showroom floor for $7600 or so.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
If yall think that was cheap, I just sold my 2001 shadow Sabre for $3,500.  It was a great bike, but I just wanted to get rid of one more bill.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
that price is BS and more likely than not its a scam, or it was crashed.

929's are still getting $5k or so.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#12]
KA3b's reply is typical of why the price is low. Spec sheet whores won't touch it with an electric cattle prod.

God help me,.... (I never thought I'd be defending one of these bikes!) but there is no way in hell this bike is a POS, or slow, or a bad bike relative to the rest of the bike world. How do you call a bike that does low 10's, a buck-seventy, and wins superbike races as a POS? Admittedly, I didn't spend my money on one either (bought an R1 and replaced it with a Bimota SB8R when it got stolen), but these things aren't bad bikes. There just happen to be a lot of them out there for sale and a better bikes to be had.

I'll venture to say that 99% of the people who poo-poo the bike are not capable of riding it well enough to qualified to make the claim. This is still a capital-"F" Fucking Fast bike.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I have ridden the CBR929, in my opinion it's a pos.  It's light years ahead of the old 900RR's with the 16 inch front wheel.

The truth is the truth, I ride with guys who have GSXR750's and CBR929's and GSXR1000's and R1's. The 929 is slow.

I ride a 98 R1, it's slow. It's faster than the 900RR, but it gets its ass handed to it by the newer bikes.

The CBR900RR has never raced in a Superbike race. I am an American, so that means an AMA Superbike race.

It used to race in the old FX class, and it was a Honda ringer running as an Erion bike.  Kind of like the "new" FX class.

Quoted:
KA3b's reply is typical of why the price is low. Spec sheet whores won't touch it with an electric cattle prod.

God help me,.... (I never thought I'd be defending one of these bikes!) but there is no way in hell this bike is a POS, or slow, or a bad bike relative to the rest of the bike world. How do you call a bike that does low 10's, a buck-seventy, and wins superbike races as a POS? Admittedly, I didn't spend my money on one either (bought an R1 and replaced it with a Bimota SB8R when it got stolen), but these things aren't bad bikes. There just happen to be a lot of them out there for sale and a better bikes to be had.

I'll venture to say that 99% of the people who poo-poo the bike are not capable of riding it well enough to qualified to make the claim. This is still a capital-"F" Fucking Fast bike.

Dave

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Why is this bike so low priced? Because a 2004 600 is almost as quick, once you take its lighter weight into account. The older literbike has a better top speed, because weight is less relevant on the top end.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Scuse me, I should have said Formula Extreme. Ever heard of Erion racing? I suspect you knew what I meant being fairly keen on the whole bike thing though. Just goes to support my statement about the 929 being a good bike because FX events are hotly modified streetbikes whereas the Superbike class is populated with factory racebike 'ringers' that have no relation to what we buy. If you don't believe me, the last time I was at Mid-Ohio, the 600 SUPERSPORTS were lapping faster than the 1000cc FX bikes...

You and I are atypical of most riders. I know guys who have these bikes and are very happy with them. I've owned just about every top drawer jap sportbike since 1994, and I've ridden one of these.. It's not a bad bike. It stops, goes, and turns like a proper superbike. Yes, there are better bikes and smaller bikes that are areguably better but you have to admit, the GSXR750 is a bit of and exception... There are still only a few bikes that will run with it. For street riding there isn't a whole lot of difference in peak power, but you won't have to rev the guts out of the 929 like you would a GSXR 750(had one of them too, back in 1996). I'll take the 929 over the 750 for anything but all-out racing.

Don't listen to him, for $4000 you are getting a hell of a lot of bike, I don't know of a better motorcycle for that kind of money. Ka3B's idea of 'slow' ios relative. His R1 was the King-Dick sportbike two years ago, it ain't that slow either. All of these bikes will wheelie under their own power in first gear (sometimes second) and are geared to do at least 85mph in first gear. That ain't slow! Especially for $4k

Dave
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#17]
As I posted in my last answer...

It used to race in the old FX class, and it was a Honda ringer running as an Erion bike. Kind of like the "new" FX class.

Quoted:
Ever heard of Erion racing?

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The Suzuki GSXR750 was just as fast in the quarter mile and faster on the top end (stock).

In 2000 Honda went from a 900cc engine to a 929cc engine, then in 2002 it went to 954cc engine, and then in 2004 the entire line was dropped for the CBR1000RR.

There are a shitload of them out there for sale. You can probably find a 2003 on the showroom floor for $7600 or so.

This stuff makes me laugh.  If you are riding a modern sport bike on the street it is 95% rider, 5% bike.  If you can reach the limits of this bike on the street you need to get into AFM or AMA.

I but this is a salvage title.  Salvage can not be titled in Flordia.  Seller wants sell it out of state where it can be titled.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This stuff makes me laugh.  If you are riding a modern sport bike on the street it is 95% rider, 5% bike.  If you can reach the limits of this bike on the street you need to get into AFM or AMA.

I but this is a salvage title.  Salvage can not be titled in Flordia.  Seller wants sell it out of state where it can be titled.

Agreed. its a title issue.

its one of the first thing you should look for on any bike!
clear, salvage, rebuilt.

if the price is too good to be true its one of the last two.

does sound like a nice deal if you were to make it your track bike.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm assuming you meant to say "I bet this is a salvage title".

So when the seller says "Title is clear, no leins, never involved in an accident." He's lying?

Oh and for the rest of the discussion on the bike being as "slow" as a current 600, wouldn't a current 600 run somewhere in the $7k-$8k range?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Contact the seller, I'll bet he wants half now and half on delivery . A friend of mine from work called about a Ducati 999 for $9,000. Thats what the seller wanted him to do. My guess is that their both scams. You send half the "super low price", and never hear from them again.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#23]
KA3B, didn't see that line in there about FX.

Yes, this bike is still faster than a 600, by about .5 sec in the 1/4mi. and 10-15mph faster on top. IT will have a LOT bettermid range power and better suspension components. It was Honda's flagship sportbike until very recently-while 600's aren't cheaply built, they are built to a price.

Call the Seller. Ask for the VIN number. Get a Carfax report on it. Get the paint job question cleared up. If all that's satisfactory, then go pick your bike up. Personally, I think the bike is worth the money and a trip to go pick it up. If you are really worried about it, ask for him to deliver it to a dealer for a written inspection on your dime first. If everything is ok, then take a friend down there and a truck, ride away into the sunset.

Dave

P.S. If this is a Euro import, there will be a few things you'll have to do to get it registered. In Michigan they make you replace the speedo with one that reads in MPH, and have an inspection. You'll also have to pay fees on it if it doesn't already have a US title. Thinking about it, he may have just stripped the bike of it's factory graphics rather than a repaint-you'll have to ask him.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#24]
norman...
if you are still looking into a sport bike, I think you should check out an R1.
They are a pretty well rounded bike IMHO, and definitely plenty fast.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
norman...

I like the looks, but I wouldn't be able to tolerate that seat.  I spent 4 hours on my Sportster on Saturday, and by the look of things the majority of sportbike seats would kill be after 4 hours.  Which is why the Honda I posted above somewhat appealed to me.  The seat looks like it's got some padding/support.  Either that or I'll wind up with a CBR600F4i, although I must confess it's one of the ugliest goddamn bikes out there.  Of course, it's still hard to beat a 900cc bike for under $4k.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
norman...

I like the looks, but I wouldn't be able to tolerate that seat.  I spent 4 hours on my Sportster on Saturday, and by the look of things the majority of sportbike seats would kill be after 4 hours.  Which is why the Honda I posted above somewhat appealed to me.  The seat looks like it's got some padding/support.  Either that or I'll wind up with a CBR600F4i, although I must confess it's one of the ugliest goddamn bikes out there.  Of course, it's still hard to beat a 900cc bike for under $4k.

Ahh...if you are open to a 600, then you might want to look at a YZF600R.
A girl I know has one. It is similar to an R6, but it has a touring seat instead of the racing single seat.
I have ridden it, and it is quite comfortable.
Looks exactly like this:
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd bet that this is a scam. I've seen quite a few of these lately. Mainly you see them on ebay. There will be pics of a nice bike with a price thats too good to be true. As has been mentioned this is either a Euro bike or has been re stickered. Its definately not a 900. They didn't make the 900 in '01 and it looks a lot different than this anyway. I would avoid it like the plague. As a side note a lot of these scams have a condition that either the seller is overseas but he will ship the bike to you or he will have you meet with a friend etc.

As far as the guys saying this bike is slow. LOL. The fact that its not the fastest bike made doesnt mean its slow. Thats just stupid. Its a 170mph bike. Keep in mind a lot of guys (like the original poster) mostly ride Harleys. Not dissing Harleys...but compared to them this bike is blazing fast.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#28]
If its legit its already sold. Duh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top