Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2004 4:21:34 PM EDT
The Lost Battalion on the History channel now - 8pm

just so you know...

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
So you're saying their not lost anymore?  The History Channel found them!

Oh, that battalion
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
thats one bitchin show...

rick schroeder plays a great part..
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It's on right now (pacific time zone)

Digital
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Watching it now
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Good show gets two thumbs up even if Ricky Shroder is in it.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah great movie. They actually use correct rifles - you'd expect to see Springfield '03's. They used 1917 Enfield rifles which are correct.

The one fuck up I did see was a brief flash of a Enfield #1 Mk III. That's a Brit rifle that would be totally out of place in American hands.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I go by Rick now, man... Not ricky anymore. Rick, man, OK?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah great movie. They actually use correct rifles - you'd expect to see Springfield '03's. They used 1917 Enfield rifles which are correct.

The one fuck up I did see was a brief flash of a Enfield #1 Mk III. That's a Brit rifle that would be totally out of place in American hands.

I noticed that too. It was in a scene near the end, I saw the 10 round mag.  Oh well, a minor issue in a good movie.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I go by Rick now, man... Not ricky anymore. Rick, man, OK?

Great job in the movie, Rick  I have the DVD and consider it a must see for anyone who has questions about WWI.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:35:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey ARchoo, where did you find the DVD of the Lost Battalion? local store, mail order? Thanks, roughrider
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Guys,

This film sucked.  The only redeeming features were the fact that they were doing a ww1 film at all, the weapon selection, and the "stuff" speech.  
 Ricky was embarassing.. The performance he gave belonged on Lifetime, and I surely hope the brave man he defamed will have his chance at pistol-whipping Little Ricky in the afterlife for acting such the fool.
 The terrain they used only bears resemblance to the real site of the "loss" in that it is on the planet earth, and has got some trees on it.  The real site was a wicked ravine, I've been there, and I've got pix I can dig out if anyone cares that much.  Portrayal of the difficulty of the terrain was underdone.
 Equipment was the usual Hollywood mess, with individuals turning up occasional bits of UK kit (besides the SMLE.. Caught that too, as well as a doughboy with a Mauser I believe.).  On the whole, better than most though.. Certainly better than Sgt. York ;) It was nice to hear yet another honest appraisal of the Chauchaut LMG though. "The worst insult ever inflicted on the american fighting man" (*cough* next to having your commanding officer played by Ricky Fucking Schroeder).
 The germans came off as poncy morons who never shot straight, the doughboys came off as simple, yet good-hearted angels who never missed.  Typical cowboys and indians crap.  
 And finally.. WHERE THE HELL DID THAT STAFF CAR COME FROM AT THE END?!?!  The tail of that film looked like they had shot it on the fly once the budget had run out with as little attention to continuity as possible. A complete afterthought.  

If you want cheesy but amusing WW1 fodder, go pick up the complete 6 hour ANZACS miniseries.. You'll get to see Paul Hogan get shot at, there's a bit more historical attention, and it portrays a group of men who didn't get there late, mop up the leavings, and take all the credit. (Lots of good Lewis Gun footage too, and who doesn't love that?).  

-Pvt. Sparky
  5th Bn AIF (Rec'd)
  200 Rounds and a Bayonet!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Maj. Charles White Whittlesey (played by Schroeder) lived an interesting life after winning the Medal Of Honor.  After the war, he was an attorney in New York City.  He was a pall bearer for the Unknown Soldier and active in the Red Cross.  But apparently, the memories of those days in France got the best of him.  While aboard a steamer bound for Havanna, he jumped overboard to his death.  His story can be found at : http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/whitt.htm
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey ARchoo, where did you find the DVD of the Lost Battalion? local store, mail order? Thanks, roughrider

HERE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top