Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2004 11:46:41 AM EDT
 The reason I'm asking is I'm planning on testing for an apprenticeship position being offered by the Department of the Navy in Maine on the 15th, and am a little confused about the actual position. The paper pusher who confirmed I was qualified to take the test could offer no details.

I'm testing for a Welding Apprentice position. I've been a trade welder/Ironworker for a about eight years, but don't mind taking the stepdown to apprentice if it gets me into what I'm assuming is a great career oppurtunity. Problem is, no one knows whats on the test (need a 70 to qualify for the interview), or exactly who I'll be working for. A contractor working for the Navy, or does the Navy actually have a structured trade program? Do they have some kind of union?

I hope my question seems clear enough, it would be a great oppertunity to work on materials and in situations that will help me grow toward my goal of being a self employed tradesman. I'm just trying to figure out if it's what I think it is, I'd hate to drive the 8 hours to the test facillity and find it's some kind of enlistment ploy LOL, I'm not re-enlisting.

Thanks

Pete
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Taking a wild guess.  If it's at Bath Naval Shipyard, sounds like it is in fact a gummint job.  A contractor should clearly state the job would be working for the contractor as their employee on a gummint contract.

the operative word is "should"    I used to staff for Both Hughes Technical Services and then Raytheon Technical Services  on service contracts located at various Navy and other DoD locatios and we made damn sure it was clear  who you would be working for.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I worked for the DOD many years ago.  If it's for an apprenticeship in the Navy Shipyard it is probably a standard aptitude test much like you would take for entrance to college (math, reading comp., English, etc).

If they are interviewing 70 and above that’s pretty far reaching.  Most of the time they set the number much higher.  When I took it you had to have 90 or above to get an interview.  The reason was that some folks got preferential treatment when it comes to government jobs.  You used to get ten points for being a veteran, more if disabled and there were a few other things that would get you points.

There are study guides out there for these tests.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, thanks guys! Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a job as a Navy employee in the shipyards. I'm just suprised they have a trades program like that. I wonder why they just don't hire welders instead of trying to go through the expense of making their own.

Hoppy, any idea what the study guides for the test are called? All I found were Federal Civil service guides, but the paperpusher lady said it wasn't a civil service test, supposedly according to her it was the first time they were giving this test, but who knows. Did you go the apprenticeship route too, and how did it work out for you. Was it a good experience and such? If you'd like you can IM me.

Thanks again fellas, I hate to walk into a situation with so little knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#4]
It has to be a position at Portsmouth Naval Ship yard, Bath Iron works is a private company!  My Dad works at Portsmouth, Portsmouth specializes in the overhaul and refueling of fast attack subs, they are the best at it!!!!  

I took that test for apprenticeship back in the 80's, I believe it is the old Civil Service Exam, it will have  math, clerical, reading comprehension.  It was not a hard test!

If you are a prior Vet, you get 5 points, Purple Heart awardees get 10 points!

I work for the USAF as a civilian down where it is a just a tad warmer in Georgia!  The Portsmouth Ship Yard is Farking COLD in the Winter, the breeze comes straight off the ocean!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Blue-collar positions in the DOD are different than white collar so I don't think it will be a civil service exam. Blue-collar are wage grade employees and are paid by the hour. White-collar are general schedule and are salaried by the year. I am not sure about the test, but the government in mandated to have job training and veteran’s placement by law, so this is likely one of those. Have you been to the federal jobs website? You can fill out an online resume there and search for jobs by area, type etc. The individual branches have their own websites for the same thing. Some of these job announcements are just to get a pool of applicants if they decide to open a position so check the listing carefully, look for a closing date about 2-3 after the job is posted. Some listed are for guard and reserve so check that also. Some of this jobs are temporary so look for that too.

www.usajobs.com

ww2.afpc.randolph.af.mil/resweb/jobkit/JobkitEffective15Dec2003.pdf
cpol.army.mil/employ/
www.donhr.navy.mil/Jobs/default.asp
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll give a call to my Dad, he will probably know!  He has had apprentices under him at Portsmouth, he is machine repair not a welder but the apprenticeship test is the same for all trades!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]
SWEET EOTECH, thanks a ton!! That would be a help. The position is at the Portsmouth shipyard .They're giving the test at the Portsmouth Community Technical College on the 15th. It's an eight hour drive from buffalo, and of all weekends , it's on the day of my girlfriends Graduation from the RN program here. Four years I've put her through school, and now I'll miss the Graduation. What a moral delema. You can imagine I'm in the doghouse for this one hehe.
I'm a prior vet, but you have to have been deployed during certain dates to be qualified for the extra points, and they're only applied after you get the minimum score for placement purposes, at least thats how I read all the paperwork. How do you like being a civilian employee? What is your experience, pro's and cons sorta, if you have the time.

Chtmg, thanks for the aditional details, USA jobs is actually where I found the post for this,   oddly it said alot, but left alot of questions in my mind, and the contact person listed was tight lipped about it.

Thanks again guys! It's so great to have access to so many different people who are willing to help out. I love the net.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SWEET EOTECH, thanks a ton!! That would be a help. The position is at the Portsmouth shipyard .They're giving the test at the Portsmouth Community Technical College on the 15th. It's an eight hour drive from buffalo, and of all weekends , it's on the day of my girlfriends Graduation from the RN program here. Four years I've put her through school, and now I'll miss the Graduation. What a moral delema. You can imagine I'm in the doghouse for this one hehe.
I'm a prior vet, but you have to have been deployed during certain dates to be qualified for the extra points, and they're only applied after you get the minimum score for placement purposes, at least thats how I read all the paperwork. How do you like being a civilian employee? What is your experience, pro's and cons sorta, if you have the time.

Chtmg, thanks for the aditional details, USA jobs is actually where I found the post for this,   oddly it said alot, but left alot of questions in my mind, and the contact person listed was tight lipped about it.

Thanks again guys! It's so great to have access to so many different people who are willing to help out. I love the net.

I am going to talk to my dad in a little bit.  Depending on where they put you, you can be right inside a Los Angeles class sub doing your thing!  The Workers a Portsmouth take pride in there work and it shows as their is a long line of Navy Sub skippers who want their boats repaired there.

The Portsmouth Yard like any place of work has its politics, pros and cons.  Not a bad place to work really!  If you are going to be there the weekend, head over to Newick's in Dover N.H. if you love seafood, their seafood platter is HUGE!!!  Also if you like to drink, Mainers tend to be professional drinkers.  The Maine state drink is ALLEN's Coffee Brandy, and its WICKED GOOD!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top