Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2004 10:36:33 AM EDT
The people across the street have left their overgrown SUV parked right in front of my house since Tuesday night.  Its not a huge deal, but I think that it is rude, and I don't want it parked in front of my house forever.  They almost never use the vehicle, the only reason they moved it over to my side at all was becuase of street sweetping.  I am concerned that since the vehicle is hardly ever used, and  because they are probably enjoying having the extra room on their side for their other TWO cars, that they will be inclined to just leave it front of my house.  At what point should I talk to them about moving their truck back in front of their house?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Talk? No.

Tannerite? Yes!

(Note: the above is not intened to be offered as legal advice. Please consult your personal attorney before using Tannerite to resolve personal disputes.)
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Just go over there and ask if everything's OK with the vehicle or if they need help calling a tow truck.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
How about.....NOW!

CW
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#4]
SO PARK SOMETHING ON THEIR SIDE OF THE STREET
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Heheheh.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Talk? No.

Tannerite? Yes!

(Note: the above is not intened to be offered as legal advice. Please consult your personal attorney before using Tannerite to resolve personal disputes.)

Tannerite!  Excellent idea.  See, that's why I come to you guys.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I had that thought.  But I decided it was little passive/aggressive for my style.  Though I would do it in an instant if they give me any issue when I go talk to them, not that I am expecting that they will.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]
who fcking cares
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
j&j towing may i help you?

yes i live on abc street and i noticed a suv park on the side of the street and it has been parked there for a week.i beleive it is broken down.
is there anyway it can be towed?

do tou know who it belongs too?

no sir i don't!

i think that would fall under a abandon vehicle.

sir what is the excat location of this suv?

it is sitting in front of 123 abc st.

and your name and addres?

it is billy bob and i live at 987 abc st.

don't know if this would work,but it may be funny as hell in the end!

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about your town, but where I live, you have to move your vehicles every 48 hours or they will be ticketed. You might check on that...
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Or you could just walk over to their house and ask them nicely to move it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Just park this one in front of /their/ house.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
call the highway patrol and report an abandoned car on your property, they will leave a note on it and if it is there more than a certain number of days it will be towed and the owners will have to pay to get it back from impound.

or you could politely tell your neighbor not to park there or it will get towed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]
You could always park one of these in front of his house:

Or you could go full-on nuts and actually (gasp!) ask him politely to move it before you have the police solve your problems.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Hello,

Yes I have a problem with a vehicle parked in front of my house.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Last time that happened to me, I decided it was time to water the lawn.

I didn't make it obvious, but made sure the water from the sprinkler soaked about half of the vehicle pretty good.

It was a summer day with the sun shining bright. Their vehicle ended up with some pretty nasty water spots on it.

They haven't parked it in front of my house since.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#21]
In most places, you dont have exclusive rights to the curb line in front of your house. <g>

That said, it can be annoying when that one white trash family on your street decides to park their 7th spare junker infront of your house. The proper thing to do would to be talking to them. Gently explain that parking their POS  infront of your house means your guests dont have a place to park.  Dont tell them their POS car declines your property values and enjoyment of your front yard, even though its true...

If that doesnt work you can always park your car in that spot first, so at least it's your own crap pile ruining your view. Another option is contacting the local LE agency and complaining of an abandoned vehicle. Most places have some vehicle abatement ordnance. Typically a vehicle must be moved at least 100 feet every 72 hours.

Some people would recommend pulling the registration tabs off the car, so the cops start slapping parking cites on it when it's parked on the street. Some people would recommend petty acts of vandalism.  some people would recommend putting your trash bags on the hood of the car on trash pickup day. But i would not recommend that sort of thing, becuase it can bring retaliation, and it's illegal.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
In most places, you dont have exclusive rights to the curb line in front of your house. <g>

That said, it can be annoying when that one white trash family on your street decides to park their 7th spare junker infront of your house. The proper thing to do would to be talking to them. Gently explain that parking their POS  infront of your house means your guests dont have a place to park.  Dont tell them their POS car declines your property values and enjoyment of your front yard, even though its true...

If that doesnt work you can always park your car in that spot first, so at least it's your own crap pile ruining your view. Another option is contacting the local LE agency and complaining of an abandoned vehicle. Most places have some vehicle abatement ordnance. Typically a vehicle must be moved at least 100 feet every 72 hours.

Some people would recommend pulling the registration tabs off the car, so the cops start slapping parking cites on it when it's parked on the street. Some people would recommend petty acts of vandalism.  some people would recommend putting your trash bags on the hood of the car on trash pickup day. But i would not recommend that sort of thing, becuase it can bring retaliation, and it's illegal.

Quoted:
I had a weird neighbor who thought he "owned" part of the public road outside our houses, almost had to have him arrested.

I know that I don't have exclusive rights to the curb line in front of my house, nor do I think that I own it.  I just think that is common courtesy not to leave a vehicle parked in front of another person's house for an extended period of time.  I don't leave my car in front of anyone else's house, so I tend to expect the same.

To all who were saying that I should just go talk to them:  that was the point of this thread.  I wanted to see if others thought that it warranted going over and talking to them about it.  I don't want to be thought of as the asshole neighbor who thinks the owns the street.  From the responses here, it would appear that it does.  

I'll let you know how it goes; whether I have to park in front of their driveway or order a case of Tannerite!  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Just go over there and tell him to move the POS or you'll do for him.  Some Jerk off parked in front of my garage and just left his car. Simple solution to this was 2 floor jack and a friend to help drag the POS into the street , cops towed it after that.  The SUV might be alittle to big to do this too but you could shove it with your truck . When all else fails just torch it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a weird neighbor who thought he "owned" part of the public road outside our houses, almost had to have him arrested.

I know that I don't have exclusive rights to the curb line in front of my house, nor do I think that I own it.  I just think that is common courtesy not to leave a vehicle parked in front of another person's house for an extended period of time.  I don't leave my car in front of anyone else's house, so I tend to expect the same.

To all who were saying that I should just go talk to them:  that was the point of this thread.  I wanted to see if others thought that it warranted going over and talking to them about it.  I don't want to be thought of as the asshole neighbor who thinks the owns the street.  From the responses here, it would appear that it does.  

I'll let you know how it goes; whether I have to park in front of their driveway or order a case of Tannerite!  

I have that same issue at our (my fiancee's) house in Nashville.  Some of the neighbors ocasionally park their SUVs in front of her house, and it irritates me to no end - especially when there's room in front of their house.  If get all steamed about it - and she always responds "you think I own the public street?"  I guess it doesn't bother her as long as they don't park in her lawn,  but it sure irritates me.

I think the important thing is to realize that you do not have any RIGHT to the curb space in front of your house (as others have pointed out) - unless you reserve it with a lawn chair in Chicago in the winter .  I'd definitely talk to them, but be really friendly about it, and just let them know that it bugs you - and my guess is they'll try to avoid doing it if they can.   My experience is that most people will be reasonable if you are, but it's also easy for people to get their hackles up and get obstinate if you start out confrontational.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#26]
It infuriates the hell out of me.  Some assholes across the street and two houses down pulled that shit with a crappy Nissan 280zx.  After about 1 week, I went over and asked them nicely to move it because I had trouble backing out of my driveway (make up some excuse).  I spoke with their daughter, and nothing happened.  A couple days later, I waited for the guy to show up in his fron lawn, then I very nicely asked him to move the car.  Then they moved it.  

ANOTHER time, a guy 2 houses down on my side of the road had a seasonal employee who was parking his van across the street.  I could almost swear this seasonal employee guy was sleeping in it.  SOooooo, I called the cops and told them I think someone is sleeping in the van.  They check it out, he's not sleeping in the van.  I call them back, tell them the guy has been seen sitting in his van eyeing my wife and her sister, and I am afraid for their safety.  Next day, that piece of shit was gone and I havnt seen it since.

Remember to be nice!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Report a dead baby in the car!.......from a pay phone of course.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Is there a problem with simply going to the owner, explaining your position and politely asking him to move it?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#29]
IF they found a bunch of key marks on the side of the car, they would be less apt to park there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I know how you feel.  When I first moved in, the house across the street from me had about 6 cars (at least).  And, they had a corner lot so they had more curb space than anybody.  Still, they'd fill up all the space and start parking in front of my house.  I went over right away and asked why they parked the car in front of my house, they were apologetic and moved it (I'm actually pretty good friends now with one of the guys in the house).

Now, one of the guys (and 3 of his cars) has moved out so it's not too bad, but still they have parties or something sometimes and people come over and park in front of my house.  I HATE THAT.  I only have space for one car in front of my house (as opposed to their house, which prob. has space for at least 3 around the corner), then when people come over they have to park down the street because some ahole parked in front of my house.  Doing something to their car is not very smart, they will just retaliate.  I did leave a pile of branches in the road there for a while though and nobody parked there
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Move out of the city.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#32]
That is rude and something that irritates me aswell.

I live on a busy road and the strip in front of my place and my next door neighbors seems to be very inviting for anyone that breaks down for some reason.

I'd definatly talk to them.If that doesn't work just call it in abandoned.The cops will come out and tag it then call the owner to tell em it'll be towed in a day or so.

I steamed about a car that had been sittin in front of my place for 5 day or so.Saw it parked,watched the owners try to fix it a day later then leave it for a couple a days unattended.(just frys me how people will leave a broken down car in front of someone elses house indefinatly rather than pony up $50 for a tow to park it outside there own place)...anyhow I finally called the police,and guess what...about 20-30 minutes after they tagged it and called the owners,someone was out here takin outta the front a my place.

Amazing what it takes to motivate some people to do the right thing,but that's how they are.

I'd jump on this problem right away,the longer you let it slide the more comfortable they are with and the more they'll think it's their right.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#33]
It is their right, it is a public street correct?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I dont mind it at all. As long as it is not a habbit or for extended periods of time. Its a public street.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#35]
If it was on their side Id say not a big deal.  On yours let them find it the next day on blocks, get rid of the wheels far away.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Their side, your side?  I didn't know anyone owned the road.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So you wouldn't care if someone abandoned a shitty ass car in front of your house?

Most find it perfectly reasonable to not want a neighbors car parked in front of my house for a week, especially when it's not necessary.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:55:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you wouldn't care if someone abandoned a shitty ass car in front of your house?

Most find it perfectly reasonable to not want a neighbors car parked in front of my house for a week, especially when it's not necessary.

I always try to keep my stuff on my side.  If anyone comes to say anything out the car, they will go to your house first since its on your side.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It is their right, it is a public street correct?

Just becuase it is within their rights does not make it a very cool thing to do.  That is the point of this thread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#40]

thelastgunslinger said: My neighbors parked a truck in front of my house.

Quit whining and move on with your life.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I dont mind it at all. As long as it is not a habbit or for extended periods of time. Its a public street.

Hmmmmmm, did you read my original post?  It has been there since Tuesday.  I think that counts as an "extended period time" to have a big ass 'burban parked right in front of my house.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

thelastgunslinger said: My neighbors parked a truck in front of my house.

Quit whining and move on with your life.

I suppose you wouldn't mind if I left a vehicle right in front of your house?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmmm, did you read my original post?  It has been there since Tuesday.  I think that counts as an "extended period time" to have a big ass 'burban parked right in front of my house.

In that case, go over and beat your neighbor senseless ! It is obvious that it won't take long since he appears to have little sense to begin with. I, along with jrzy, believe that if everyone, everywhere got a good thrashing everyday then the world would be a better place. I must warn you, however, that I am a Democrat and a union member so you must take my advice only after considering those two facts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:48:00 AM EDT
[#44]
You could always just remove the plates from it and hope that a Police Officer will see it and tow the unlicensed vehicle from the street. You could toss the plates on top of it. They'd tend to blame kids. Maybe not nice but better than some of the suggestions.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:53:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Just ask them to move it.

I've had problems on and off with my neighbors to the south.  The previous occupants never told the people who mowed their lawn to not block my driveway.  The new owner remodeled the house a few months ago and blocked my driveway for several days.  Heck, they took up my entire driveway for a few days as well.

Ended up putting up a No Parking sign, they got the message rather quickly.  I told the owner that I saw no reason to block my driveway or park in front of my house when there was ample room to park on the other side of the road.  It is just common courtesy to not block someone's driveway.

Do unto other's as you would have done to you.  Not Biblical, but a good rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I know. I was referring to some of the meter maid militants that have posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Don't speak to them about it, they know they did it. Anything else that you say could be construed as "premeditation".
YMMV
M
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Last time that happened to me, I decided it was time to water the lawn.

I didn't make it obvious, but made sure the water from the sprinkler soaked about half of the vehicle pretty good.

It was a summer day with the sun shining bright. Their vehicle ended up with some pretty nasty water spots on it.

They haven't parked it in front of my house since.

Slight modification to this technique; first sprinkler... then mow the lawn, making sure to not use the bagger and to keep the mower facing the same way so as to maximize the clippings hitting the car.

Nothing like turning a car into a hobbit hole.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Report a dead baby in the car!.......from a pay phone of course.

This one cracked me up
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#50]
One of the friends of my trashy neighbors was parking in front of my house on a regular basis.  Got annoying.   No idea who, and they'd be there over night frequently (i suspect it was a b/f of one of the folks down the hill).  Oh yeah the only spot in two blocks with shade during the day.  

There was a nice concrete pier that was sitting up the hill from the spot.  Once they left, I just pushed it down the hill to the spot where their right tires would be (very visible).  Next morning I heard a *CRUNCH* followed a minute later by some cussing.  Even more gratifying to hear the scraping as he pulled it off.  No more random car.  Dunno how stupid you have to be to try driving a car our an 8" tall chunk of concrete.  

If a car/suv is there one day, no big deal.  two is annoying, three is time to find out who and see what's wrong with it before I call the sherriff to ticket the abandoned vehicle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top