Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 9:46:20 AM EDT
I was at Harbor Frieght tools the other day, they carry cheaply made tools from India, China, and Taiwan.  They've got this set of polished combo wrenches that look like snap-on but are on sale for $13.88. 14 pieces including 1" 1 1/8" 1 1/16 and 1 1/4.  Yeah they're cheap but for most folks could be a good substitute until they get rich and then throw them away or give to a child for his first set.

Anyone seen those?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have that exact same set, but they say Snap-on on them
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the set, then try each one to see if it is in spec.  Then try to break one.  If you can bend/break it, or if any don't fit. return for a refund.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It's always nice to have a set of "beater" wrenches.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not waste my money on cheap tools!

That would be like buying a Hesse rifle or a Lorcin pistol!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Life's too short for cheap tools.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're going to use them lightly once or twice a year, then get them. If you plan to use them regularly pay a little more and get a set of Craftsman. If you will be putting them to heavy use and need precise fit and high quality, take out a second mortgage and buy a complete set of Snap On.
Remember, cheap tools almost always end up costing more in the end, and your work suffers. When I have an extra $500 I plan to get each a metric and standard combination set.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
According to a Consumer Report story, those cheap tools aren't broached accurately.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#8]
SOME cheap tools are well worth the money.    I know a contractor that bought a big pile of cheap Chinese made battery operated screw guns for his workers,  and they're lasting at least as well as any name brand screw guns in heavy, daily use in the field, and they're a LOT cheaper to buy.

Some Chinese tools are pure junk, but the truth is,  a lot of the stuff is really pretty good.

The Chinese are smart.   They'll make whatever you want if you're willing to pay their price.
If you want cheap, you get cheap.  If you want better, you'll get it,  and if you want excellent
craftsmanship and materials,  for the right price the Chinese will deliver that, too.

I've  been quite impressed with the quality of a lot of Chinese made power tools lately.  Fit and finish in particular are getting quite good.

Yeah, I'd still rather buy a name brand,  but sometimes,  I can't due to the higher cost.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my "wenches" un-polished
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would not waste my money on cheap tools!

That would be like buying a Hesse rifle or a Lorcin pistol!

BigDozer66

Good advice.

My favorite: "The bitterness of poor quality far outlasts the sweetness of low price."

I don't own a single wrench that cost $14, much lees an entire set.  Snap-On all the way.

<Hijack in progress>

BTW, I just changed jobs and I have some of my extra (Snap-On & Mac) tools for sale on eBay if anyone is interested in GOOD tools at FAIR prices.  IM me for a link.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top