Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 8:12:09 PM EDT
I bought a new M1A Scout three hours ago.  I am very unhappy with my purchase. I don't know much about these rifles yet, and the manual isn't very helpful. The rifle will not load a round into the chamber.  When the bolt is released, the tip of the bullet smacks into the face of the chamber edge, or what I am assuming is supposed to be a feed ramp. But it doesn't look like a feed ramp on my Colt M4. It looks flat, and the bullet gets stopped in it's tracks trying to chamber itself.   I had big plans to go shoot this weekend with some friends, but now my new unfired M1A Scout comes up wanting.  Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and or respond.
I appreciate it!

Oh yah. . .the manual says that only military 7.62 ammo can be used. Does this mean I can't fire factory match ammo, or factory .308 like Winchester?

Doug B.
[email protected]

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What magazine and ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
ARe you sure the mag is seated properly?  My new mags went in hard.  Also, I shoot .038 out of mine all the time with out a problem.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the ammo is not a .308.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ARe you sure the mag is seated properly?  My new mags went in hard.  Also, I shoot .038 out of mine all the time with out a problem.

SGatr15

Hey SGatr15  where can I get some .038 for my M1A
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I am using the factory 10rd mag with Federal Match ammo ---168 grain I think...
I also tried loading the weapon with Winchester .308  that I have laying around.
It isn't anything special. White box, but I threw it away last trash day so I am not sure what grain it is.

Thanks. . ..db
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you using FMJ ammo?

Unfortunately, Springfield Armory's quality dropped considerably as the supply of surplus GI parts dried up forcing them to use South American made parts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
the mag is seated properly. . .and it is .308 FMJ ammo

db
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
To me it sounds like the op rod must be binding somewhere along the way.  My M1A has MORE than enough spring pressure when released to drive a round out of the mag and into the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in agreement with Lumpy196, sounds like the op rod. Has the rifle been cleaned and greased or are you playing with it out of the box?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
This seems to have enough pressure to load the bullet ok,  but the bullet  tip hits the bottom face of what I want to call the ramp. The ramp doesn't look like a ramp though. It is flat faced.
And the bullet wont go up over it into the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Crappy pics, but does your chamber look like this?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
pretty much from what I can see from your pics. . .at the bottom of the chamber there are two indents that look like the bullet is supposed to slide in, but instead the bullet tip just stops on the chamber face. . . db
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Yup, I think you are binding somewhere.  The bolt and op rod slamming home full force has more than enough power to chamber the round.

Id check and see if the op rod is rubbing somewhere, possibly inside the stock.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I heard that the SA 10 round mags aren't made very well. Try a GI 20 round mag.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I try to get this pic to post, but I never can.  Chamber. . . I don't have a GI 20rd mag. . .need some! Those 2 half moon cut outs or ramps, are flat, not angled into the chamber & that is where the bullet stops.

www.msnusers.com/HKWeaponsCollection/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=35

www.msnusers.com/HKWeaponsCollection/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=36

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Yup thats a standard M1A/M14 chamber.  Id get some GI 20 rounders and try that, and if that doesnt work, check for op-rod binding.

btw...right click the image itself, copy the address line and put "img" inside the brackets instead of "url" or just do it the easy way and click the "image" tab and paste the address line into that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't forget that you use GREASE and not oil on M1a rifles. The bolt roller is one part that needs lots of grease.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

Hey SGatr15  where can I get some .038 for my M1A

It's a custom handload I amke.  I take a standard .308 brass and neck it down to .038.  SO far I have been getting 6500 PFS, a little wobbly however.....

SGStar15
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#19]
While inserting mag are you...

---Engaging front latch first (bottom of mag slightly angled down in rear) and then rocking the rear up to latch? (just like a AK or a FAL) The top edge of the spring guide engages the square hole in the front of mag.

OR

---Just cramming mag into well ?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Are you using FMJ ammo?

Unfortunately, Springfield Armory's quality dropped considerably as the supply of surplus GI parts dried up forcing them to use South American made parts.

There are no imported parts used on a M1A.

Springfield Inc uses IMBEL mfg'ed parts on its 1911's.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Here are  pics of the problem:

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#22]
When attempting to chamber a round---

Are you pulling Op Rod all the way to rear of receiver and letting go?

How many rounds are you putting in mag? If you're putting 10 in, drop back to 8 or 9.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I vote for op-rod binding:  there's really no reason that round should not be chambering.  Might want to try a GI 20-round mag as well, if you're not using one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#24]
The same thing happens to my Yugo SKS sometimes.  It is usually easy to fix for me and only happens once in a while.  I find that HP ammo makes it happen while FMJ doesn't make it happen.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Never had that type of problem with nay of my M1A's.

Possible problems:
Out of spec ammo
Bad mag (Front mag catch hole in wrong spot).
Improper Brl instalation
Mag catch out of spec
Riding the bolt home

I think its unlikely to be a binding op rod.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Just curious if you tried it with only one or two rounds in the magazine.  Might be the aftermarket 10 round mag is binding with a full or near full load.

I would defintely start with a USGI magazine.  Be certain it is properly inserted as described above.  Pull the bolt handle back and let her fly.  If it doesn't chamber a  round then, I would suspect a binding op rod, or, perhaps improper magazine seating.  Why this would be  I don't know.

I DO know that luckily for you SA stands behind these things.  Call them Monday and they will help you on the phone.  If it is  a genuine problem they will fix it.

But I am guessing mag problem or something binding the op rod.

Oh, without the mag in there how smooth does the bolt slide back and forth and is it good and forceful closing?

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Also, if you use a less-then-full mag and get it to work, I bet after 20 or 30m rounds, it will work fine.

Just needs a little loosening up.

Springfield M1A's are fine weapons.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Try posting this on www.battlerifles.com, that is a dedicated M1A forum with alot of knowledgeable people on it!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Are you riding the op rod forward, or pulling to the rear and releasing?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Definetly sounds like your riding the operating rod forward.

PULL THE OP-ROD ALL THE WAY TO THE REAR AND LET GO !  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#31]
not holding on the the OP-Rod. . .I release it "smartly" as the manual says. . .the OP-Rod is fine
not jamming the mag in the wrong way. . .it is inserted properly
I haven't got a 20rd GI mag yet. . .so I will try that when I get one
I tried loading only a few rounds in the mag instead of 10 and that didn't work

Thanks for the input thus far. . . db
SA will get my call Monday morning first thing          

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Try posting this on www.battlerifles.com, that is a dedicated M1A forum with alot of knowledgeable people on it!

A couple of us visit there too
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Try downloading the mag just one round. The feedlip on the left side may be bent.
Put a bit of grease on the rails were the op-rod and bolt run. If it's dry and a new rifle, the op-rod is running slow.

Can you push the rear of the round and get it to chamber from the mag?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Get some USGI Mags. pronto.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#35]
i've had this happen in a different firearm. same exact deal, though.
notice in your pic that at the point where the tip hits, that the full length of the remainder of the bullit still in the mag, is held down a c hair too low by the mag lip itself. the round won't chamber, no matter how good your operating rod is working, if it's not allowed to ride high enough to clear the face.
bend the forward portion of that mag lip up, ever so slightly, and your problem is gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top