Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 4:41:14 PM EDT
This may be kind of long.  I wanted to get the whole story down for reference later while it was
still fresh in my mind.

I was on my way home (on my motorcycle) from my part-time job at Pep Boys.  I was travelling
eastbound on a two-lane road.  There were two cars approaching from the west and the first made
a left turn (south) before I reached the intersection.  The truck behind that car also decide to
make a left turn (thereby crossing my path).  Well, I was already in the intersection and knew
what was coming.  Instantly two thoughts came to mind: lay it down or go around behind the
vehicle.  I was too close for laying it down so I decide to try to go around.  I almost made it.
My forks caught her right rear bumber, which then spun me into the side of the truck.  My leg
crushed her fender (flareside truck with fiberglass fender).  Her forward motion then made the
bike spin clockwise, then it went down, with me going over the handlebars.  I hit the ground
face-first and I tried to roll.  I ended up not being trapped under the bike.  I sat up and I
swear the truck just took off.  It eventually came back.  I took a quick check of my self and
got up.  No apparent broken bones.  Some people came out of their houses to help and someone
called 911.  The fire department was just a few blocks away and an ambulance was there in no
time.  Before that, however, all I could think about was my bike.  A couple of guys helped me
lift it off the road and we wheeled to the sidewalk.  The front forks were twisted so it was
hard to steer.  I finally sat down and that's when I realized I was bleeding like crazy from my
nose.  Blood all over the windshield and I ruined a good pair of pants.  I call my wife on my
cell phone to bring my truck and the ramps.  Ambulance shows up and they give me a quick
once-over and patched up my arm and cleaned my face a little.  I refused a ride to the hospital
as I wanted to take care of all the police business (who showed up a few minutes later).  All
the usual stuff (my side, her side, insurance, etc.)  It was obvious she was at fault and was
cited for an improper turn.  After he was done, I loaded the bike onto my truck, thanked the
people who helped me, and went home.  Put the bike in the garage and then went to the ER.  Two
hours after check-in they call me, an hour after that I get X-rays, and three hours later the
doctor remembers I'm there and says nothing broken and gives me some prescriptions.

Me: sprained left wrist, cuts/scratches on my nose (and inside the nostril... don't ask me how,
I don't know), right arm has road rash, various cuts/scratches on my right leg, and a slightly
sprained right ankle.  Mucho pain, but I consider my self lucky.

Bike: Forks, front wheel, front fender, windshield, headlight, triple-tree, mirrors, gas tank,
shifter arm, etc.  I called H-D with a list of these parts and the guy called me back to say
that retail on parts alone was over $1900.  I called the painter and he told me around $1800.

Truck: (2000 Ford Ranger) Rear bumper, right taillight assembly, right rear fender.  Officer's
quick estimate was $1500.

Made my claim that night (Allstate) and they were quick and efficient.  I like them.  I called
her insurance today and found everything to be up-to-date and her policy in force.  She had not,
however, made her claim yet.  When I told she was cited, the rep told me there shouldn't be
problem getting this taken care of.  I hope so.

Since I work hourly, and I can't go to work, I'll have lost wages to claim.  And I am sore as
hell today, but I tried to keep moving around so as not to stiffen up.  But it really hurts to
see my bike.  I've had it 12 years this month and it's my pride and joy.  I know I can fix it,
but it hurts just the same.

Anyway, that's my story for today.  They say ther'e two kinds of motorcyclists:  those who have crashed and those who haven't crashed yet.  I guess my number was up.

Need to add:  Ouch.  It hurts to type.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
ouch. As a fellow biker let me say it sounds like you were damn lucky.

I have one question though; were you wearing a helmet?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
the problem isn't crashing or not, it's because all cagers are out to kill you.  glad you're alright.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ouch. As a fellow biker let me say it sounds like you were damn lucky.

I have one question though; were you wearing a helmet?

I meant to mention that.  I do wear a helmet.  Not a full face, but not one of those beanie helmets.  It's a DOT approved half helmet.  And there wasn't a scratch on it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to take your bike in to the dealer for a full cost of repair sheet. This will also have how much the labor + parts it will take to get your bike fixed right the first time. Then buy the parts your self and fix it. They should pay you for your time to do it.

Make them look at all the welds under your tank to see if your frame is ok.

Good luck

Neanderthal
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
At least your still here posting! Man that was close. I hope everything works out for you. Get a hungry young lawyer if the womans insurance company even blinks when you make your claim.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You need to take your bike in to the dealer for a full cost of repair sheet. This will also have how much the labor + parts it will take to get your bike fixed right the first time. Then buy the parts your self and fix it. They should pay you for your time to do it.

Make them look at all the welds under your tank to see if your frame is ok.

Good luck

Neanderthal

That's exactly what I am going to do.  I haven't had a "project" in awhile, and I prefer to do my own work anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Were you wearing leathers?

Around here,  the wiser bikers all will tell you that a person who's riding a motorocycle and isn't in full leathers and a good helmet is someone who hasn't laid a bike down yet.   Those wisers bikers usually got wise as a result of scars and/or memories of bad events.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
So what did the bitch have to say?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So what did the bitch have to say?

Well, when she came back, she started asking if I was OK etc.  Then she admitted to not seeing my headlight (read that as not paying any attention).  Then she started on how much damage was done to her truck and was beginning to imply it was my fault.  For reasons unknown to me, I did not get mad, nor start yelling.  After the officer took our stories, he told me he was going to cite her.  She didn't know that yet, so after I loaded the bike and got the go-ahead to leave, he informed her and she started cussing and screaming.  I didn't wish to stick around and hear her crap, because I might have lost it then.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#11]
ow
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Around here,  the wiser bikers all will tell you that a person who's riding a motorocycle and isn't in full leathers and a good helmet is someone who hasn't laid a bike down yet.   Those wisers bikers usually got wise as a result of scars and/or memories of bad events.

CJ

I know I should, but only when it's cold.  All I had on was a leather vest over my Pep Boys shirt and long pants.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad you're still one-up... seen my fair share of brothers down for good.

Remember, cages kill!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I, for one, am glad You're "reasonably" OK!

As someone who has had to lay a bike (or two) down, or take the hit, I know how fast it happens/how slow it seams. This is the reason i haven't ridden on the street in over 10 years. I know I'm smart/aware/safe enough, it's the cage drivers I don't trust!!! The wife gives me the"DEATH STARE" every time I talk about getting the old bikes on the road again.

Glad you're OK.
Take care of Yourself.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
leathers and a full face helmet go a long way.

i've been looking for a study that shows harley and cruiser folk are more prone to a closed casket funeral because they wouldn't feel cool usung a full face helmet. so far i havent found it.

i am in no way bashing harley or cruiser\chopper guys. i just think its foolish not to take advantage of some "save your ass" gear.

ive had my share of close calls and it really sucks we are invisable to folk with 4 wheels.

glad to hear you are in good health.

sue the wench.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad to here your OK. I am still trying to find a cleaning solution that removes that target that people in cages can only see. When I do I will send you a free jar. Oh, talk to a lawyer. It sounds like she might try something, you got to protect yorself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear you got wrecked... Maybe it's time to do wmoething different with the bike while you're working on it? Lemons to Lemonade?

Dave
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I laid down my GS500 last Monday. Same deal, no scratches on the helmet, but my knees are pretty banged up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

CJ

I couldn't agree with that more.  I crashed my Speed Triple in 2001 - I was wearing a full face helmet, leather armored riding jacket, kevlar hard gloves and jeans and hiking boots.  Helmet was gouged, armored jacket was ripped to shreds, I had tattoos from the armor on my shoulder - but my upper body was completely unhurt.  But because of the jeans and boots, I hurt my knee and ankles badly (timberland-type boots offer no protection).  I always ride now with armored leather pants and BMW Kalahari armored boots.  The Kalahari boots have the added bonus of the external steel slider, which is awesome for kicking cager vehicles that get too close.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Glad to hear you're "all right". We have an officer in ICU right now that was T-boned on the way to work a couple of wks ago...Road King+half helmet.  Who's to say, but, as bad as he is (life support) I cannot imagine that the half helmet didn't help some AND that he might be a little better had it been a full face type.   FWIW,  MC_Man ... back in 78, a UCLA prof did the best study (up to then) on MC accidents and determined that 49% were no fault of the rider and that 50% of those were pretty much what happened to you; car/truck turns left in front of on-coming MC. It had a lot to do with a "single point of reference, i.e. one headlight, being more difficult to determine distance and closing rate on. Also, Hurt found that the MC doesn't register "threat" like other vehicles and people...subcontiously or not, aren't as concerned as when a Greyhound bus is coming at them.  Where are you in Florida?
I know in the Miami area they'd probably find you dead of heatstroke from wearing leathers.  
Does anyone have any road accident experience with the open-weave "Joe-Rocket" type jacket with padded elbows and shoulders?  AND If anyone knows of a link to the newer Hurt report?... I read somewhere that he completed a newer study.  (PS, 2 wheels, off/on since '78...78 Bonny, '82 Katana-the 1st one, & '71 H1 Kawi triple.                                                                      Stay safe
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i've been looking for a study that shows harley and cruiser folk are more prone to a closed casket funeral because they wouldn't feel cool usung a full face helmet. so far i havent found it.

Come down to South Florida and you're not going to find any more squids wearing protective gear than you are cruiser types.  Quite frankly it's just too goddamn hot from about this time of the year on.  In fact, I see more squids in flipflops and shorts, with their old lady on the back wearing even less, than I do cruiser types.

Now excuse me please, I have to go brave I95 through a construction zone wearing a half helmet and jeans.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#22]
My dad has been riding for about 30 years and the closest he has come to a wreck was stubbing his toe on a woman's bumper who decided to move into the lane that he happened to be riding in.  He accelerated past her and bumped his toe on her front bumper.  VERY close call.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Glad to hear you are relatively ok.  Riding is just like anything else.  This is America, and other than states with mandatory helmet laws, we are free to wear what we want when we ride.  I have been riding for 20 years (first 5 on dirtbikes), I know the risks.  On the street, I laid down a bike at night in a corner once years ago (1989).  Low spot in the road, headlight did not illuminate the gravel in it, and I was screwing around playing road racer.  I have had several near hits over the years with idiot car operators.  The good news is if you are paying attention, you generally see it coming.  I have ridden my way out of a couple T-bones, only because I was on a light bike and I saw it coming in time.  Dirtbikes are another story.....bruised ribs, sprains, you name it!

For tooling around town, I generally wear no protective gear other than jeans, gloves, and eye protection.  A lot of the enjoyment for me is getting on the bike when it's hot out and cruising, enjoying the breeze.  Out on the open road, I wear a leather jacket or Rocket jacket, Snell approved full face helmet and shield, and gloves.  I would like to get some armored pants with my next bike though.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm afraid that I'll end up a paralysed ward of the state, so I wear a full 1pc. road race suit, the best helmet I can afford, and proper gloves/boots. The thought of  being a concious, immobile being under the care of 300lb nurse's aid in an inner city nursing home just don't sit well with me. I support the right of all the Rebels Without A Clue out there to wear a half-helmet or no brain-bucket at all, but I do think it's asking for it.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Here are some pics I took.  Cheap little camera, so I apologize for the lack of quality.

As it looked before the accident

Front view.  Notice the wheel

Left side.  Blood on windshield is from nose.

Top view of front fender

Forks bent out of alignment

Right side of tank.  triple-clamp broke past the stops to hit it.

Fender again

Rider's view.  Wheel is pointed straight, handlebars are not.

A little road rash on right arm.

Rip under right nostril.  Hurts to pick it.

Comparing the legs.  Right leg was larger than this last night.  A few cuts and bruises.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Dang dude... I'm glad you're OK (for the most part!).  Here I'll add a picture of my baby:

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
[She didn't know that yet, so after I loaded the bike and got the go-ahead to leave, he informed her and she started cussing and screaming.  I didn't wish to stick around and hear her crap, because I might have lost it then.

"But, but... you can't see them."  Everybody knows that's a get-out-of-jail-free-card in bike and fourwheeler accidents.  Or at least they think it is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#28]
State law needs to be amended to allow you to severely beat the driver of the pickup.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
State law needs to be amended to allow you to severely beat the driver of the pickup.

You're absolutely right.  Your sig line is appropriate as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Glad you're okay.

Last Monday I was travelling through Durango CO about 8:30 pm when right in front of me this Jap bike goes down, skids across the road and explodes into the guardrail directly in front of my car.

I was first on scene.  The riders arm was as close to severed as you can get, and his jaw was missing.
Still breathing but alot of blood in his lungs.

Cheers for walking (or limping) away!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I learned a valued lesson about wearing a full-faced helmet when I was a teenager on my dirt bike...  I've got some fake teeth to prove it, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top