Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 2:13:42 PM EDT
About a year ago, I purchased a Enfield Jungle Carbine in .308.

After firing the rifle, I found out it had excessive head space and that I needed to replace the bolt head to correct this.
In the beginning of Oct 03, I called the company that refitted the rifles into the Jungle configuration(this rifle started out life as a full sized Enfield in .308) in order to inquire about where bolt heads might be found. The lady I spoke to on the phone told me to ship them the rifle, along with a check for $9.00 to cover return shipping, and they would fix the rifle and ship it back to me post haste.

Fast forward to January 04. I realize I’ve heard nothing from Company X since I sent them the rifle, so I called to check on it's status.
Lady on the phone tells me in a very curt tone" We can ship the rifle back to you as is.If you want us to fix the rifle, you need to wait"

I figure no sweat, it's not like its my only rifle, I'll wait & let them fix it.

Fast forward till today. The BBT pulls up and the driver hands me a rifle sized bot with Company X's return address on it. I'm stoked, assuming my .308 Enfield is now ready for a workout. I open the box to see the rifle & an envelope. In the envelope was my $9.00 check and a letter stating...

Dear Mr.Echo 6,
Enclosed you will find your #7 Jungle Carbine Rifle which was sent to us in Oct 2003. We have tried to find a bolt head which would work for your gun, however, we have been unable to do so.

Our company has not had these guns for several years, therefore it is impossible for us to replace the rifle and the parts for these guns are limited.

I am sorry we are unable to repair the rifle. I have sent back your check #XXXX

Best Regards,

Company X

Now comes the part that really got me hot. Not only did they NOT fix my rifle, which they assured me would be done in a timely fashion, but when I took a closer look at the rifle I found a large gash in the stock(approx 1in x 3/4 in), a dented and scratched magazine, and the front sight assembly is bent prominantly to the left. The rifle had NONE of these deficiencies when I shipped it to them.

I already tried to call Company X this afternoon but they had already left for the day. I guess its better that I have to wait till Monday to call. I won't be so agitated by then.

When I call, I'm not planning on ranting and raving, making demands or making threats. I'm simply going to tell the person (the highest person in the food chain of that company I can get in contact with ) I speak with that I was very displeased with the service provided by his company and I'm appalled by the damage done to the rifle while in their care. I want to inform the person that I am a active collector of "Historic Military Rifles" ( That happens to be this companies niche ) and am associated with a fairly large group of collectors and that I plan to share my experiences with his company with all of my associates who are interested in listening to my tale.

If you will notice, I've yet to reveal the name of Company X. I'm going to wait till after I speak w/ a Corprate "big fish" to give the name. Hopefully, he will offer to make the situation right & I will be suggesting this company to everyone I know instead of telling them a tale of woe.

echo6
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you originaly buy the rifle from them or did they just initially rebarrel it?

EIther way, it sounds like their service was to provide you with a working rifle.  If this was not the case then they need to fix the problem.  1 year is far to long, 6 weeks would be reasonable.  If the can not find a replacement bolt (which I am assuming they initially provided) and the rifle is warrentied( or at least was supposted to work) then they either owe you a full cash refund or a new rifle of equal value.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You may also want to follow up with a letter with all the pertinant details. Dates, names, times, etc. I have found that this worked as well. I also sent the letter to the presidents attention. It might work and then again might not. It sure can't hurt.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be pissed off as hell - but I wouldn't necessarily be optimistic about getting any restitution.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Sarge, I did not buy the rifle from them, nor did I buy it NIB( it was LNIB ). Thats why when I initally called them, I just wanted to know where I could find replacement bolt heads. I did not expect nor did I ask for them to correct the problem. I was pretty impressed when I was told to send in the used rifle for them to fix.

Now I wish I hadnt sent it to them. I still wouldent have a functioning rifle, but it woud still be cosmeticly perfect.

echo6
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to change the topic - but I think SOG still have the original Jungle Carbines for $160 or something like that.  I got one from there, it worked perfectly (kicks like an angry mule!), and was in pretty good condition.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not to change the topic - but I think SOG still have the original Jungle Carbines for $160 or something like that.  I got one from there, it worked perfectly (kicks like an angry mule!), and was in pretty good condition.

LOL actually, I got one of those a few months ago. Guess what? Exssive headspace!! I need a new bolthead!
The .303 I plan on keeping here till I can find a bolthead that mics where I need it too.

I REALLY dig Enfield SMILE rifles, but I'm not having much luck with them
echo6
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It sounds like a case of You need us, We don't need you business practice.
I'd be pissed also! Dented mag, scratched stock and painfully obvious left bent front sight.

You'd think they would have packaged it much better.
I know you are hopeful that they will rectify the damage, but be prepared for disapointment.
Sorry my friend, i'm hoping these folks are a stand up company.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL actually, I got one of those a few months ago. Guess what? Exssive headspace!! I need a new bolthead!
The .303 I plan on keeping here till I can find a bolthead that mics where I need it too.

I REALLY dig Enfield SMILE rifles, but I'm not having much luck with them
echo6

Damn - you've got some weird headspace curse going!   I guess that wasn't good advice after all - sorry!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Things like that burn my ass. I would be fucking livid. Livid.

Regardless, you should reveal the company name right here and now. Even if they make everything right at this point (which regretfully I doubt they will) you have a responsibility to your fellow gun owners/collectors here. Who are they?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Things like that burn my ass. I would be fucking livid. Livid.

Regardless, you should reveal the company name right here and now. Even if they make everything right at this point (which regretfully I doubt they will) you have a responsibility to your fellow gun owners/collectors here. Who are they?

To a point I agree, but I am going to wait till monday after I speak to someone to disclose the name of Company X.

Irregardless of which way the conversation goes, I will add the name of the company to this post Monday after I speak with someone.

echo6
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When I call, I'm not planning on ranting and raving, making demands or making threats. I'm simply going to tell the person I speak with that I was very displeased with the service provided

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Well lets see

In the beginning of Oct 03, I called the company that refitted the rifles into the Jungle configuration(this rifle started out life as a full sized Enfield in .308)

Well we have Gibbs and we have...................................?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I just got off of the phone with a Mrs. Carpenter at Company X or Gibbs Rifle Company as some of you correctly assumed

She assured me that the damage to the rifle must of happned in transit back to me. It couldent of left their offices like that.
She informed me that if I would shipp the rifle back to them, they would replace the damaged stock and magiziene.

No. I'm not kidding.

I declined her offer and told her Have a nice day.
Yet another company I will Never do Buissness with again.

Echo6
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like they are trying to hard to be nice without actually accomplishing anything for the  customers.  An easier way for them would be to apologize and then ask you what they can do to fix it.

I spent 10 years in retail and dealt with many hundreds of customer complaints.  Usually when I asked them what I could do to make it right they almost always asked for something simple and less the I would have offered.

I really don't understand why customer service is so hard for these people.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top