Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 10:04:55 AM EDT
I heard someplace that a bayonet on an AR15/m4 isn't really a good idea-the rifle is not able to handle the force involved with a bayonet, and simple isn't large enough.

Any rebuttals?

Ben
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The M4 has a 14.5" barrel. This length puts the front site base at the right spot so a bayonet will properly attach.

Because of the 1934 Gun Control Act rifles must have a minimum barrel lenght of 16", unless you get a tax stamp for a shorter lenght. This extra 1.5" makes all the difference in mounting a bayonet. The bayo's ring will slip past the flash suppressor and flop around on the skinnier barrel. Not an ideal situation.

So, the military gets a decent bayonet mount and civilians don't. Unless they take steps to correct it. But the mount should be as strong as with a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I think there was some concern that the front part of the 203 cut out was a weak point.
Since it was cut at a 90 degree angle, it might be a focal point for shearning of the
barrel if enough force was applied.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, what I am really worried about is if I skewer a bad guy with a bayonet-say your average Camel jock waving an AKM, whether or not my rifle will break, or the mount will snap.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#4]
After skewering someone, I'd recheck your zero.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
If it came down to the point where all I had left was a bayonet to defend myself I don't think I would care about the consequences to my rifle.  Does anyone know when the last time a bayonet was used by anyone in the US military for combat?  Even the Guatemalen (I think it was) used a jack knife instead of a bayonet to wound or kill the Irqis when they were surrounded a week or so ago.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
A Brit used one in the Faulkland Islands, which was 82 or 83?  That was the last time a 1st world nation solider used one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice to have the option, I guess. Even as a Marine or Soldier you may never need one but if you do....
Besides, they really piss off the anti's. That's enough to make me want one. I plan to use it if I ever hold up a liquor store

As for bbl length, it does have to be 16" but you can get this with a perm affixed flash suppressor on a 14.5" bbl which will accomodate a bayo just fine. Bushie sells these or you can have someone affix for you. I doubt you will have to worry much about bending or breaking a bbl. What are you planning on sticking it into??
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The ArmaLite M15 carbines will be able to accept a bayonet, once the ban expires, because of their longer handguards.  I had an SOF upper built preban style to use on one of my preban lowers until the ban expires, then it gets a new lower.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice to have the option, I guess. Even as a Marine or Soldier you may never need one but if you do....
Besides, they really piss off the anti's. That's enough to make me want one. I plan to use it if I ever hold up a liquor store

As for bbl length, it does have to be 16" but you can get this with a perm affixed flash suppressor on a 14.5" bbl which will accomodate a bayo just fine. Bushie sells these or you can have someone affix for you. I doubt you will have to worry much about bending or breaking a bbl. What are you planning on sticking it into??

Easier yet, get the ArmaLite carbine with the mid-length handguards.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The M4 has a 14.5" barrel. This length puts the front site base at the right spot so a bayonet will properly attach.

Because of the 1934 Gun Control Act rifles must have a minimum barrel lenght of 16", unless you get a tax stamp for a shorter lenght. This extra 1.5" makes all the difference in mounting a bayonet. The bayo's ring will slip past the flash suppressor and flop around on the skinnier barrel. Not an ideal situation.

So, the military gets a decent bayonet mount and civilians don't. Unless they take steps to correct it. But the mount should be as strong as with a 20" barrel.

See above posts.  Someone did take steps to correct it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top