Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 8:54:40 AM EDT
Any of you guys have any input on compact tow-behind campers / trailers?  Is something like this available in the US?  It seems that they are rather prevalent in Australia and New Zealand.  Below are some links that show what I am interested in.  I am looking for something that can be towed behind a vehicle with a 1500 lb. towing capacity.

www.nativenursery.com.au/bushman/main.html
www.bushmantrailers.com/Camper/
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a link to Fleetwood trailers which has a good selection and until last year were marketed under the Coleman name which is a big camping manufacturer here in the states.

The smaller ones are what you are looking for.   I have camped in one and they are great.  

Cost new between $4000 and $12000 depending on size and options.  Alot of folks look for someone wanting to unload a used one that has been sitting around in the garage after being used only a few times.

http://www.foldingtrailers.com/
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I think my family has one of these. I'll look when I head down to the garage later.  Our's has an air conditioner and comfortably sleeps 5.

Makes it nice to have a kitchen & a cooled area when out camping. They do require attention, but are not hard to keep in top shape.

ETA: Those might be a little large for what you're looking for.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I towed this one to Jacksonville, FL. from Wakarusa, IN. It is a Cabanna(sp?) Made by Keystone or Dutchmen I can't remember but it was a dream to pull. I kept forgetting it was back there.

We got in it to do a pre hook up check and this little guy was nice inside. You should look at it. If I were in the market for a small one I would look at this one hard. I still want the 45' Newmar but at 70+grand I will wait.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always thought that the Scamp trailers were kind of neat.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you talking pop-up or compact uprights?

When it comes to pop-up's, you can't beat Jayco.  Wife & I have our eye on a sweet Jayco with a shower & shitter.  Going to run us around $9000.  Air conditioning and heat.  Cheaper than paying for a fucking hotel all of the time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a travel trailer 22 foot Prowler, and I had a pop up -------------- I loved the pop up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys.   As far as what specific type I am looking for, that is open for discussion.  I am not looking for anything specific.  I am just interested in what's available.  I do like the off-road bushman types that I have links posted to on my original post.   Not so much for the offroad capabilities but for their compactness and ease of setup.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is my deer slayer.  1973 Rollite.  I bought it driving to go deer hunting last year off the side of the road for $900.  It was freezing and we were just talking about how nice a camper would be.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top