Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 6:47:33 AM EDT
I'm considering getting another Beretta 92.  I'd rather have an Italian made 92 as they have a chrome lined barrel and are well made.  We had American made 92s some time ago here on the Indianapolis PD and almost all of them worked well.  However, we got a batch that broke the left lug during firing and all of those failed withing the first 100 rounds.  The factory rep said he didn't know why they were doing that.  Most people here felt it was poor heat treating.  That said, I'd rather stay away from American made 92s right now.  My brother just bought a Taurus PT92 and he really likes it.  
Have they improved over what they used to be?  Would this be a good choice or should I just hold out for a Italian Beretta at a higher cost?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I was considering the same thing.   I kinda like the idea of the Taurus and its safety/decock mounted on the frame rather than the slide.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
buy em both, i have been known to do that
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The decock on the slide totally sucks.

I was doing empty gun reloads last friday with my beretta and when I grab the slide to get back into action, I put the safety on and was DONE.

That thing could cost you the fight if it were your carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my American made Border Marshal, 2500 rds and going strong.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Every gun has a 'thing' to get used to...

On the 92, PPK, and many other euro guns, you just can't grab the slide by the back end, you have to grab further forward...

NBD, IMHO...
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

On the 92, PPK, and many other euro guns, you just can't grab the slide by the back end, you have to grab further forward...

I'm not banking on that in the high stress levels of a fire fight.  I love my beretta and all.  I just don't use it for carry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Personal preference, IMHO.  Smiths and other autos have a slide mounted safety/decocker too.  It depends what you are used to training with.  As far as quality, I have heard that Taurus are "junk", but the source of that info is someone I would classify as a "gun snob".  Semi AW's aren't even good enough for this guy, he buys all Class III.  

I have fired both.  Finishing work is a little better on the Italian made guns.  On the other hand, I haven't heard of Taurus pistols losing lugs or having slide failures.  

As a hardcore 1911 user, if I ever went for one of the two, it would be the Taurus for it's frame mounted, downward operating safety, and more economical price.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...On the other hand, I haven't heard of Taurus pistols losing lugs or having slide failures.  

I have a Taurus PT-92 that broke the barrel lugs after approximately 8000 rounds.  

It was repaired by Taurus free of charge.  They did not just fix the lug; the gun came back with all an new slide assembly.  

Now if I could just get them to tell me who installs night sights in the fixed front sight post…
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...On the other hand, I haven't heard of Taurus pistols losing lugs or having slide failures.  

I have a Taurus PT-92 that broke the barrel lugs after approximately 8000 rounds.  

It was repaired by Taurus free of charge.  They did not just fix the lug; the gun came back with all an new slide assembly.  

Now if I could just get them to tell me who installs night sights in the fixed front sight post…

When the lug broke, what happened?  Did the gun come apart or just jam?  I like the idea of a frame mounted decocker as well and I will most likely use it for range work only.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When the lug broke, what happened?  Did the gun come apart or just jam?  I like the idea of a frame mounted decocker as well and I will most likely use it for range work only.

By your screen name,I can tell you are one of those arrogant guys (like me ),who would not carry a 9 if his lefe depended on it!

ROFL!!!

OT-Ed, my first gen Kimber is a damn fine pistol.  It is the reason why I bought and then sold a G23, USP9, Smith 1009, etc.  I could never put the Kimber down long enough to really shoot the others, and when I did, they just didn't feel right.  I hope you get the same satisfaction out of yours!

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Just a jam, no catastrophic failure what so ever.  The recoil was “funny” during that shot and I knew right away something broke.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#15]
One thing I forgot to throw in....I have also shot the Taurus PT101 I think it was...the .40 stainless w/adjustable sights.  That was the most accurate and nice shooting (for me) .40 I have shot.  I hit like crazy with it.  Way better than a Glock .40 in my hands.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought the Taurus was made with the same dies as the Berettas. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Made on the old set of Beretta machinery in Brazil IIRC......
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#18]
don't they use the same mags? I thought they did

Quoted:
however (at least for now) the more ready availability of the beretta mags tips me towards the Beretta.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Berettas were made on Beretta machinery for the Brazillian military and police.  When the contract was up, Taurus, who made only revolvers up to that point, bought the Beretta factory, and under license, produced their pistols.  From that point on, the Beretta and Taurus pistols have developed along different lines.  

Rather than go with the slide mounted decocker, Taurus later modified their frame mounted safety to ALSO function as a decocker.  Up is Safe, down to horizontal is Fire, and if you depress it below horizontal, it decocks.

I've carried a PT-99AF for 15 years.  Mine is the model just before they added the decock feature.  The safety is just up for Safe, and down (or horizontal) for Fire, no decock.  

Never a problem except with some junky Ramline mags.  With Taurus mags, no trouble with any ammo, including 147 gr Hydrashoks.  In fact, with Taurus factory mags I have NEVER had a malfunction, including the time the entire Civil Air Patrol shot 3000 rounds through it in one afternoon.  I think that got it broken in.

The mag catch hole is larger on the Taurus.  The Taurus mag will function well in the Beretta, but the Beretta mags smaller mag catch hole will not engage the catch on the Taurus.  You can enlarge the hole and it will work well.

The original Goncalo Alves wood (aka "South American Walnut) grips were beautiful, but without checkering as slippery as a greasy ice cube.  I put a set of Pach's on it.  I also switched the mag catch around to the right side, so that I can drop the mag with my right hand middle finger without changing my grip.

The guy that said Taurus is junk, well, he should take a little closer look.

BTW, when I went into the store to buy a pistol, I had the folding green stuff in my pocket for the Beretta 92.  While handling it, I commented to the store owner, the only thing I don't like is the slide mounted decocker.  He suggested I look at the Taurus 92 and 99.  I liked them, and bought the 99... I liked the adjustable sights, but did not have to adjust the sights, they were right on.

Would I buy another Taurus?  Yes, and I would look at Taurus first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top