Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 2:06:57 AM EDT
Im looking at building my system, any expierance with the AMD 64 chip?  Im between that ot a P4, also which RAM runs best with each.  I also would apperiacte any MB expierance.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
AMD 64

Google is your friend ! Know it ! Use it !
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
AMD 64

I saw what they listed on RAM.  I was looking for any first hard expierance with either processor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO If you want the Athlon 64 I would wait until there is a shipping verion of a 64-bit Windows (not a beta).

Without a final shipping product hardware manufacturers will be reluctant to write 64-bit drivers.
Plus there are no 64-bit applications yet.

Why get a 64-bit Proc just to run a 32-bit OS and apps?

If you want a system now I would recommend a 3.0Ghz P4 teamed up with an Asus P4C800-E along with 2x512Mb PC3200 memory modules from Buffalo Tech. If your into games wait a month. NVIDIA and ATI are releasing their new cards. You should be able to pick up an ATI 9800xt for a lot less then now.

You can get all this stuff at Newegg.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:10:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AMD 64

I saw what they listed on RAM.  I was looking for any first hard expierance with either processor.

I have AMD experience but not AMD 64 but here's a review. AMD 64 review
and another Another AMD 64 .
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Looking like I might go with a P4 and save a few dollars.

Will be the 2nd intel processor I have used, last was a 488 DX.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top