Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 12:48:08 AM EDT
I have Windows ME and my computer keeps rebooting randomly. I did some searching , the new worm says it does that but does not effect the ME operating system. Also heard it's from overheating I opened up my comp and blew it all out and left the door open.  And no dice. Also I tried to use that Search and Destroy program but it will not load. I hate this comp. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The first step would be to stop using Windows ME.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the fan inside your power supply.

Same thing happened to me when my fan went out on my power supply.  I knew it was overheating.  I couldn't hear the power supply fan, couldn't feel its breeze, and the case became very hot.  It would get to a certain point, then shut down.

I took the power supply apart, removed the fan.  It did not spin freely.  I pried it apart, applied a little Hoppes oil.  Spun easily after that.  Damn mfg'ers didn't lube the freaking shaft.  Replaced it, and everything was fine until the latest worm fucked up my computer.

Like my car, one thing after another.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Random reboots can be caused by a number of things.
1.) A shitty OS is a likely culprit. Boot into safe mode and run for a while. See if it reboots
2.) Has the system ever been opened and cleaned? If not open it and turn the system on. Make sure all the fans are running. Used compressed air to clean all the dust out.
3.) Another likely possibility is failing memory. Get a diagnostic like Memtest86 and test your memory.
4.) Last but not least, failing sectors on the hard drive can cause reboots. Find out the manufacturer of the drive and download diagnostics from their website to run on the drive.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
You got the sasser virus, my computer has XP and every 5 minutes or so it would shut down to repboot, it gave a message NT Windows Authority, if that is the case download the patch  from microsoftupdate.com
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You got the sasser virus, my computer has XP and every 5 minutes or so it would shut down to repboot, it gave a message NT Windows Authority, if that is the case download the patch  from microsoftupdate.com

Sasser doesn't affect WinME, which is what he's using.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is a worm causing the problem the first step would be to abort the shutdown.

After windows starts open a command prompt window Start > Accessories > Command Prompt. Enter the command "shutdown -a" it will abort a shutdown if one is currently in progress, if a shutdown was not in progress you will get a message telling you so. Now run a search and destroy program.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top