Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2004 11:08:03 PM EDT
NO I am not talking of a mudloaf in the toilet. Those floating dots, hairs, lint, dead cells you see in your vision. I have had mine for (as long as I know) the last 10 or so years. they are more noticeable on overcast days and when I lack sleep.

Anyone else have them and is there anything you can do to get rid of them?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Get new eyes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I got them.  I dont have a fix for them.

As for getting new eyes, when I tried to replace the cats eyes the splicing and sodering didnt go well, so I'll skip that option.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to use Elmer's Glue.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Never put salt in your eye.  

Never put salt in your eye.

Alw

Always

Always put salt in your eye.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Huh, I was just thinking about this yesterday.  I have a bit of floaters... I think there is nothing you can do about it.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was in 3rd grade, some classmates were holding a contest on who could stare at the sun the longest....I won.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh hell ya!  All the fucking time!

Combine that with allergies and its a BITCH!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

SGtar15

Do you get the eyes itching thing too?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGtar15

Do you get the eyes itching thing too?

No, they are just constantly watering and tearing up.  When I yawn or sneeze, tears come out.  ANd with allergies I sneeze alot.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I am a Bullseye shooter.  This topic comes up quite often.

Find some pills (vitamins) that contain Bilberry.  This is supposed to help with floaters.  I have not tried yet, but plan to in near future.

Floaters are actually pieces of dead cells floating INSIDE your eyeball, not on the surface.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am a Bullseye shooter.  This topic comes up quite often.

Find some pills (vitamins) that contain Bilberry.  This is supposed to help with floaters.  I have not tried yet, but plan to in near future.

Floaters are actually pieces of dead cells floating INSIDE your eyeball, not on the surface.

Can I shoot 1 round and call all the floaters my group?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#12]
As a designated gunsmith and ammo r&d tech, I also suffer from floaters. I have tried numerous herbal remedies such as billberry, milk thistle, and dandelion root with no success. As one gets older the vitreous shrinks and pulls away from the back of the eye. Sometimes bits of tissue are knocked loose into the vitreous as this happens and it is this tissue that is seen as floaters. In those with myopia, the condition may be even worse. There are reports from china that doctors have been using a yag laser to vaporize floaters, but this procedure is not approved in this country.  In the U.S. the only medical treatment that will completely remove floaters is through vitrectomy. This is the removal of the vitreous and replacement with a saline solution. The risk to this surgery is detachment of the retina.

Peace be with you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:52:22 AM EDT
[#14]
rip off the covering of the eyeball, and use a squeegie to swipe away the floaters, then glue the covering back on
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
As a designated gunsmith and ammo r&d tech, I also suffer from floaters. I have tried numerous herbal remedies such as billberry, milk thistle, and dandelion root with no success. As one gets older the vitreous shrinks and pulls away from the back of the eye. Sometimes bits of tissue are knocked loose into the vitreous as this happens and it is this tissue that is seen as floaters. In those with myopia, the condition may be even worse. There are reports from china that doctors have been using a yag laser to vaporize floaters, but this procedure is not approved in this country.  In the U.S. the only medical treatment that will completely remove floaters is through vitrectomy. This is the removal of the vitreous and replacement with a saline solution. The risk to this surgery is detachment of the retina.

Peace be with you.

yep, you're fucked

I started getting a few floaters at age 23. Now I'm 26 and have severe floaters (imagine looking through a glass of water with a handfull of cut up monofilament line stirred into it) in both eyes. I've had a hole in one retina and have a big "lattice" or thin spot in the other one. My distance vision has gone to shit since then too.

Of course, all of this is mostly due to severe nearsightedness I've had my whole life, so you've probably got nothing to worry about.

At least it gives me a good excuse for spending money on optics for all of my rifles.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had floaters for better than 10 years. Thank God it hasn't gotten worse. After a while, you just ignore them if they aren't to bad. They were disrtacting at first.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You have to use Elmer's Glue.

Ahhh... you don't know how often I wonder, when putting in drops, if some fucker has switched bottles on me. If there a -phobia name for that? Ocularhesivephobia?

I always thought it was microscopic organisms.... bacteria or something.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#18]
You picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I SEE STUPID PEOPLE, but i am at work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#20]

OK.  Last time. ..

Picture this...Your eyes are like a round ball filled up with gel-like substance.

Before you're born,  there is a blood vessel starting from the posterior of your eyes to the anterior of your eyes.  Its function at this time is nourished the anterior.  
 After you're born, the anterior is no longer needed this vessel; therefore, it breaks off into different shaped, sized debris, such as a dot, a cobweb, a string, etc....  Remember, these, even broken up, are still in your eyes.
 In general, younger people don't see these debris as much because either:
 1.  They don't know how to look for them
 2.  These are settled to the bottom of the eye.

As you get older, the gel-like substance turns into liquid-like substance. So these debris move more freely, hence, you have more chance to see them regularly.

Of course, these are called Floaters, and it's a normal occurance to us mortal human.
 It's easy to ID them.  When seeing these floaters, as you move your eyes whatever the direction, they "follow".
 Now, an advice:  If you're suddenly "see"  a bunch of debris, aka...like snowing/shower-appearance debris, instead of couple/several here and there, then you need to have eyes checked ASAP.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#21]
My understanding is that if you suddenly get a lot of them, it can maen your retina is tearing away and lots of debris is coming loose.  Get to the doctor ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#22]
LS hit it right on the head. Both my Dad and his mom had detached retinas in both eyes. I'm the next in line. Both Dad and Grandma reported alot of floaters before seeing the bright flash of light that usually signifies the tearing away of the retina. If you have alot of floaters, get to an Opthamologist and have em do a complete test on your eyes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had a couple for quite a while now.  Fortunatly they aren't too bad because as I understand it, there's nothing that can be done about them.  Except for the surgery Imbro spoke about.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#24]
stop smoking crack and dropping acid and you will stop seeing shit

mike
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Real "Floaters" are in the middle of your eye and not something you can get out.  They are a natural part of aging.  If you are seeing dust, though, that's probably on the surface of your contacts :)
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Imbro, Vitrectomy

Damn I thought I read Vasectomy, I always thought you were a one-eyed trouser snake!!LOL  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm hoping I can just get my eyes yanked out and replaced with one of those cool visors like that black guy on star trek.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top