Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2004 6:34:23 PM EDT
a transmission oil cooler on a new Yukon XL, that is?  Anyone ever done it?  Its for towing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I put one on my 1998 Z28.

Not hard at all.  The hardest part is figuring out which line is the send, and which is the return to the tranny.  

You're radiator has a built in cooler as well, though not as efficient as the aftermarket cooler.  Its best to run it

Send - radiator - inlet of cooler - outlet of cooler - return line.

Once you find where the send and return lines are, and where they meet the radiator, then its just a matter of pulling off 2 hoses, and putting the tranny cooler in between.  It "mounts" typically with these long plastic staffs that go thru the finned elements of the radiator, no drilling with many of the plate style.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
you should have bought the towing package to start with then you'd already have a tranny cooler

the universal ones are cheap but i'm not sure i'd recommend one for a road vehicle.................

are you sure you need one to start with?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
1) Are you sure there isn't already one there? Do you have the tow package?
2) It is a straightforward job if you can find some good lengths of rubber line between the tranny and the radiator that you can cut and tap into.  If you just get the tranny cooler into the system on the return rubber line to the tranny, you should be all set.  

End result, in the line that comes out of the radiator back to the tranny(YOU need to figure out which line it is), you make the fluid go through the tranny cooler and then back on it's original path to the tranny.  Mount the cooler in front of all the other coolers behind the grille.

Hoover
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Check at the Suburban forum: forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban0103  Bunch of gun nuts over there too!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
a transmission oil cooler on a new Yukon XL, that is?  Anyone ever done it?  Its for towing.

I work in the auto industry and handle yukon xl's  everyday I gaurentee yours has a tran's cooler on it they ALL DO.....Standard equipment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Every vehicle should have a BIG aftermarket one if it has an automatic transmission not just ones used to tow.

Heat is the number 1 killer of auto transmissions.

crazyquik has is right in the way it should be piped.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I told them I wanted the towing package, but I forgot about it while we were settling the deal.

The next day I questioned them about it and they told me I'd have to go thru service and pay $800 instead of the invoice cost $284 of the tow package we agreed to.  We are no longer on speaking terms.

Are you sure it already has a tranny cooler... its part of the trailering option, which I don't have now, and they told me they'd charge $550 for that alone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I'm sure crawl under the front and look for the lines you WILL SEE THEM trany cooler IS STANDARD ON ALL YUKON'S even if you didn't get the reciever (tow package) From the plant.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Many many many automatics have tranny coolers, but they are little crappy integral ones.  

Some have an additional plate style one from the factory, but they still have the additional one.

Its hard to get pictures on the internet, because this is usually a very cramped area, poor lighting, etc.  

Here are some links though.

www.bfranker.badz28.com/94Z/trannycooler.htm

www.pavementsucks.com/tech/cooler.php

Read this thread

Some stuff totally unrelated, but some good semi-related pics too
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]
It is possible for some aftermarket coolers to introduce enough additional restriction to the fluid flow to be a concern. For this reason, some folks install the new cooler in PARALLEL with the existing one, rather than in SERIES. This divides the fluid flow between both coolers, rather than forcing it through one and then the other.

While you're at it, seriously consider installing a transmission fluid temperature gauge. It'll tell you everthing you need to know about whether you're abusing your tranny or not. The mechanical ones (AutoGauge, Stewart-Warner, VDO, etc.) have much better accuracy than the elecrtic ones (B&M, Hayden, etc.).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top