Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2004 6:09:49 PM EDT
Hello.  I was refered to this forum by a thread on another forum about equipment soldiers are using in Iraq.  After reading through a hundred topics, it seems I'm in the right place.  The search feature is down so I need a little help.  

I'm looking for topics that relate to what types of equipment and gear soldiers are using and recommending for Iraq.  I have an 18 month deployment there in late August this year so I'm looking to replace the issued crap.  Partial list of what I'm looking to replace:

Load bearing device - thinking about the Blackhawk STRIKE harness
Helmet liner - Oregon Aero BLSS kit
Pistol belt - padding
Holster - Safari M9 holster

I appreciate any recommendations.  Thanks.
Steve
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you haven't started already, look at all the picture threads in this forum that show guys down range... usually they show their gear pretty well, and most people comment on what they have... probably give you a good starting point.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If you haven't been there yet, check out Lightfighter's discussion boards.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly unless you're not going to be wearing body armor over there, no one bothers with vests.  Just stick the shit on your interceptor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of the things I have ordered for OIF3. I am in the Infantry so my requirements for personal gear may be differant than yours.

ESS Profile NVG Goggles
Wiley-X Romer II sunglasses w/ polarized and clear lenses
Hatch Tactical Gloves (cut-resistant as well as heat and flash protection)
High Speed Low Drag Drop Holster
High Speed Low Drag Magazine subload
High Speed Low Drag suspenders
SOE Riggers belt
Wellco Tuffkushion desert boots
Lightfighter RAID pack
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hello.  I was refered to this forum by a thread on another forum about equipment soldiers are using in Iraq.  
I appreciate any recommendations.  Thanks.
Steve

HUGGIES unscented baby wipes.

Dave S
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
18 months?  Ouch!  Who did you piss-off?  Once you get there let ar15.com know your APO address and we can send you some supplies from the civilized world.

If you are carrying an M-9 I have heard that Beretta factory mags work much better in the desert.  If MecGar makes Beretta mags I have always found those to be wonderful mags.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm over here now   fob KMTB/ cauldwell
some thing to consider
1. baby wipes and hand sanitizer  maybe the only shower you get for a while
2 paint brushes to clean weapons don't try to lube anything just dry dust it  cpl+dust = concrete
3. check If your unit is going to RFI then you won't have to by anything they give you a duffle bag of stuff
4. gatoreade or some type of flavoring for the nasty bottled haji water
5. voltage adapter most stuff  is 220 v
6. a drop cord with mulit plugs  one with a circut breaker bulit in
7. DVD Player  There WIll be Down time and the movies over here are cheap  (bootleg)
8. memory stick  for email and other data
9. digtal camera  for the kodak moments
10. TOBACCO PRODUCTS!!!  if so inclined to that nasty habit (copehagen long cut is impossable to find.
11.credit card AFFES takes them  and  you may need it to internet shop
12.  foot power it sell out quick
other info
mail takes forever
drink water lots  and eat  minimum twice a day the sun takes more then water from you
talk to everybody say hi and get some info take what is said with a grain of salt  it may have some good info but  it may be wrapped in BS
when you write or call home DO NOT  self pontificate  you just get people at home overly worried and my accidently start a Sh## storm
Rumor control is always wrong if it did't come from your chain of command its BS
my two cents  see you in the sand box
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Things I would recommend;

Air mattress for your cot because you might not get a mattress or pad.
Your own sleeping bag if your over 6'2".
Poncho liner if you aren't issued one, makes an exc blanket when it is really hot over there..
Extension cord for your tent for pers elect items .
Good disposable razors .
A few good long books .
Q-Tips and lots of them along with a few 1" paint brushes for cleaning weapons.
A good flashlight or 2 and a few diode pinch lights.
Binocoulers small / med size.
20 rd mag for carrying in pocket around camp and use in vehicles if you have an A2.
Cards and poker chips.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#12]
A Randall Model 14.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Some of the things I have ordered for OIF3. I am in the Infantry so my requirements for personal gear may be differant than yours.

ESS Profile NVG Goggles
Wiley-X Romer II sunglasses w/ polarized and clear lenses
Hatch Tactical Gloves (cut-resistant as well as heat and flash protection)
High Speed Low Drag Drop Holster
High Speed Low Drag Magazine subload
High Speed Low Drag suspenders
SOE Riggers belt
Wellco Tuffkushion desert boots
Lightfighter RAID pack

You are in the Infantry and you aren't being issued NODS? Whats up with that? Theres a tacked thread on page one that lists gear and stuff you should take with you. I don't see why you are going out of your way and buying a piece of equipment for what must be at least a months salary for you that most likely will be issued to you. The Guard units in my area have all hand receipted over most of our 7Bs to other units, and I can't believe there aren't enough in the system for you, even if its getting them hand receipted froma  unit cycling out.
Speaking of NODS, I recall that someone had a thread once that after ODS their unit buried dozens of 7Bs in the Kuwati sand because it was too much of  ahassle to being them all back to the US. If it was true, it was another example of waste that has never ceased to amaze me. If the government doesn't want to ship the stuff back due to cost then fine, store them overseas in war stocks......but the thought of 7Bs sitting in the sand wasted just kills me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Not NODs, they are sun/wind/dust goggles. The issue ones are crap.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Leatherman multi tool
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Not NODs, they are sun/wind/dust goggles. The issue ones are crap.

OK; I saw NVG and assumed it was NODS.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#17]
- Some anti-diarrhea pills. If you're going to be out hunting rags/looking for engagements you can almost guarantee that you'll have to take a dump when Murphy wants you to and not when you do... Use them sparingley or you'll get really blocked up... when you get back to the rear just take a small amount of stool softener to purge yourself. Wouldn't recommend this for long trips out of base camp unless you think there will be significant down time to drop the kids of at the sand box.

- I didn't mind buying some gear, as I could always use it when I got back for myself. I wouldn't bring anything that can get easily broken, otherwise you're out of the money for it. While I would have loved to do it, I'm glad I didn't buy all sorts of bling bling for my issue rifle... because odds are I would have lost it when I got fragged and I know the Army wouldn't have paid me back. The most you could hope for in that situation is that the company will thank you for you support and buying their product to use in OIF, and replace the item. Don't count on it though.

- If you don't have a good pack I'd recommend getting some sort of 3DA pack and modular pouches. Check out the Tactical Gear forum in the Armory section... there's some good dicussions on packs and such in there.

- Knee pads if you don't get them issued. Expected terrain will dictate the need to break them out. Usually if I didn't need them I'd slide them down around my ankles.

- MagPuls

- Someone mentioned Gatorade... to clarify I think he meant powder... it'll last a lot longer. Pick up a small funnel too. If you have a Sam's Club Membership you can buy some big tubs of it for a reasonable price. Same goes for Wet Wipes... split the cost of a case of the Sam's Club brand with some buddies or have your unit buy a couple cases of that & Q-tips.

- Tobacco is good to have for trade even if you don't smoke it yourself. Dip will probably be better than smokes.. it always seemed to me like combat arms dipped more than smoked... IMO.

- If your unit doesn't buy them pick up a set of cordless rechargable Conair hair clippers and make some money while your over there buzzing some heads... or at least to hook up your buddies.

- a folding lounge chair

- Game Boy and just get the batteries from your S-4 when run them down... say their for your NODs or something.

- Eye drops/artifical tears. Predeployment Medical screening and what not usually asks what meds you need. Tell them you need these and if they ask why say you had Lasik surgery and your eyes dry out.

- Underarmor t's

... more as I think of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top