Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2004 4:42:37 PM EDT
Hey
I am thinking of buying a CETME this year, and was wondering if there are threads on the CETME barrel to add an aftermarket muzzle break ( for like a G3?)?

thanks,
kc
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
junk. (although sometimes ya get luck & get a good one)
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one and it's been a decent gun for the money. Frankly i hate shooting it <cheek slap> but it is a fun gun. Do a LOT of homework before you buy and inspect the gun closely. CAI adjusts headspace by grinding on the bolt. Not a prefered way of doing it from what i understand.

MIne has been rock solid since day one. CAI uses a reciever thet prefers G3 mags to real cetme mags so keep that in mind. I have never been a big fan of any HK style rifle but i do like the "STYLE" of the cetme. the wood and history sets them apart from the others. If you want a shooter get a fal. If you want one "just because" then do your homework. There are goods ones but there is also a lot of shit out there.

mike

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Cruffler.com liked the one they got.

http://www.cruffler.com/review-july-00.html

Recoil
This was the biggest surprise of the day.  Having fired HK 91's and G3's in the past, we expected the CETME's recoil to be similarly punishing and unpleasant.  Nothing could be further from the truth!  Recoil was experienced as a mild push that was not unpleasant to even the most sensitive of the testers.  We fired an HK 91 for comparison, and found it to be as unpleasant as we remembered.  We cannot fully explain this difference in felt recoil.  However, we do note that the CETME does have a substantial muzzle brake, that it weighs noticeably more than the HK 91, and that it has a soft rubber buttpad.  Whether there are systemic or mechanical factors that contribute to making the CETME pleasant to shoot, we cannot say.  However, all testers agreed that the test CETME was among the most comfortable rifles chambered for 7.62mm NATO that we've had the pleasure to shoot.

And their Buy-o-meter said "good deal, go get it."
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
by the way here is a good link to start your homework

perro's

mike
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought one for an extra barter gun. It's the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. I am still working on it to get it right. Bolt carrier locks up and won't let you pull the charging handle back and my sights were welded on by looking down the barrel. It's so far off, I am thinking of grinding it off and rewelding it. Pieces of crap!

These are too big of a gamble to buy, RUN, RUN AWAY VERY FAST!

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
by the way here is a good link to start your homework

perro's

mike

Specifically, check this link: What to look for when buying a CETME

I used this checklist and hunted stores and shows lokking at probably 40-50 Cetmes before I got mine.  It's a beaut and I love it.  Just put some "like new" $14 HK olive drab furniture on it and I'm refinishing the origianl Chopo wood stock.

ETA - I don't know if the current CIA Cetmes have a threaded barrel. The ATF started making them cut off the ends.  I got one a while back that has the threaded/pinned "blast enhancer" (don't fire prone - trust me).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top