Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2004 10:18:47 AM EDT
I'm looking for a model that retails for under $500 brand-new (or quite a bit less used) - reliability is more important than high pressure or flow rate.

Looks like Ex-Cel/DeVilbiss/Porter-Cable, Generac and Karcher make their own pump heads, everyone else seems to install a generic model. The few online opinions seem to run the whole gamut - some folks love a particular brand, others have horror stories to tell (leaking pump seals, blown pump housings, not-so-reliable Honda engines, etc.).

Anyone have a model that they love (or hate)?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Ex-Cel or DeVilbiss from Home Depot. Think it work for 3 years ,light use, then the pump went out. The last year the pump was sticking. Took the pump apart and a couple screws broke.  I wouldn't buy another cheap HD presser washers again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Karcher used, from a neighbor two years ago for $150.00. It works really well and it's been reliable, except for the ruptured gas tank, which was  Briggs and Stratton's fault. The crappy plactic tank split at the seam but B&S replaced it free. There had been a recall that I found out about when I went to the small engine repair shop to buy the new tank.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#3]

tagged for reference

(because the one I bought at Sears is a worthless POS)
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Learn how to rebuild them.

Even the best industrial ones quit pumping.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure where to start on rebuilding them. I went to home depot and looked for a "rebuild your old pressure washer" book but couldn't fine one

are they really complicated?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
are they really complicated?

Nope. Most of what you need to know should be in the owners manual. (parts list, ect)

Mostly piston seals,packings,check valves.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure that some of the cheapies are even designed to be rebuilt. Not much point in using a 'throwaway' engine if you're not going to also use a 'throwaway' pump...

I talked to a fellow at Cam-Spray (maker of high-end models for industrial applications) who says that some of the cheapest pumps aren't good for more than approximately 50 hours – and that's assuming nothing breaks prematurely.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#8]
One last bump for the Night Crew...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top