Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 9:50:11 AM EDT
No joke.  If you haven't seen it you should check it out.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Agreed
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw it over 10 years ago, the language was too dense for me back then.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saw it over 10 years ago, the language was too dense for me back then.

Are you sure it was the language that was too dense?
....BUUUUUUUUURRRRNN!!!       Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I just love the word "dense" as an insult.  I didn't actually mean it!  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey, they were speaking English but I didn't have the foggiest idea what they were talking about.  I think I can handle it now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey, they were speaking English but I didn't have the foggiest idea what they were talking about.  I think I can handle it now.

Actually I couldn't agree more - it's only in the last five years or so I've really started to appreciate things like that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought the best actors were the horses.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought it was aight, if you are into that kind of thing.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No joke.  If you haven't seen it you should check it out.  

one of my favorites......especially since I was born on St. Crispins day!!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought it was aight, if you are into that kind of thing.

No zombies in Shakespeare.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Henry V is just a kick ass play anyway. Ever seen the old movie with Lawrence Olivier? Really cool as well.

Not to dwell on the bard in hollyweird too much, but I also thought Mel Gibson's Hamlet was bitchin. Any other Hamlet I had seen was....sterile, you know too damn Shakespearian (sp). Mel's version was wacky...Like doing Lethal Weapon in the Globe Theater.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah, like when I talk with people in Scotland. I can make out English words, but somehow, most of the conversation eludes me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Henry V is just a kick ass play anyway. Ever seen the old movie with Lawrence Olivier? Really cool as well.

Not to dwell on the bard in hollyweird too much, but I also thought Mel Gibson's Hamlet was bitchin. Any other Hamlet I had seen was....sterile, you know too damn Shakespearian (sp). Mel's version was wacky...Like doing Lethal Weapon in the Globe Theater.

I wasn't a big fan of Gibson's Hamlet.  It was lacking something.  It just didn't do anything for me.  Branagh's Hamlet was good, and I really liked Laurence Olivier version .
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, like when I talk with people in Scotland. I can make out English words, but somehow, most of the conversation eludes me.

Check out a movie called "Ratcatcher". It was made in Ireland, everyone is speaking english, but it  had to have subtitles so you can understand what the hell they are saying.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Branagh's Henry is excellent. You should also see Ian McKellen's Richard III. That is a hell of a movie. For an interesting treat rent Gibson's Hamlet & watch it, followed immediately by "Rozenkrantz & Guildenstern (sp?) are Dead." Watch carefully for the characters Rozenkrantz and Guildenstern in "Hamlet." Watch those 2 movies together is a rare treat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#15]
"And which of you is the dolphin?" Brian Blessed is one scary pissed-off dude......
heads...heads....heads...heads...heads.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#16]
It is one of THE GREATEST films… The French get their ass's royally kicked, what more can you ask for in a film?

Andy
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"And which of you is the dolphin?"

DAUPHIN
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It is one of THE GREATEST films… The French get their ass's royally kicked, what more can you ask for in a film?

Andy

Not much.  That is always key to a good film.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Shakespeare is never sterile if done well.

IMO Kenneth Branagh's Henry V was sterile, boring, drawn out unnecessarily, and the only time I ever went to sleep during Shakespeare. Shakespeare is best done with rhythm and pace, Branagh's Henry V can be best described and plodding with no rhythm. I much preferred the Lawrence Olivier version. If you liked Olivier’s Henry V you will love his Richard III. I do agree Gibson was very good in Hamlet; Hamlet should be played on the edge that is the way it is written.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Richard III in the 20's and 30's was great.  I haven't seen a recent Shakespeare that wasn't pretty good, although the updated Midsummers Night Dream was a little less than perfect.  Even DiCrapio's Rome and Juliet was good.  (Original dialogue but visuals updated to a contemporary Miami type city).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top