Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2004 9:36:19 AM EDT
Is the nazi 88 thing something only known by a few on shitfront boards, or is it rather well known?

Reason I'm asking is because in Kill Bill Lucy Liu's mob was called "The Crazy 88s"
In vol. 2 Bill says briefly that they call themselves that because they think it's cool.

Am I missing something? Or am I overanalizing this? Doesn't sound cool at all.

BTW, if you haven't seen those movies yet, get to it ASAP!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
one vote for over analyzation here.  i think they (the ultra-hip of nippon) just pick out english words that sound cool to them (as well as being EZ to pronounce).
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Coincidence. The black male who drove his g/f's Caprice into the building at the end of our street last Sunday was wearing some team jersey with huge 88's on it, too. Pure coincidence. I don't think either a gang of Japanese bodyguards nor Buckwheat have any connections to white supremacists.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, but the Japanese fought with the Nazi's in WWII...Coincidence? I think not!

(ok i'm just kidding about that last part)
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont think QT was making a Nazi reference. BTW, the Crazy 88s were bad guys.

Also, an old slang word for a crazy person is "8 ball". hence this emoticon
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it has reference to a gang in an old kung fu movie. Don't know which one though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
What about UPS sponsoring Dale Jarrett on the NASCAR circuit...........  Brown shirts a coincidence? Hmmmmm
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I may be wrong, but I think that 88 is a simple code. H is the eighth letter if the alphabet, so 88 = HH or "Heil Hitler"
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What about UPS sponsoring Dale Jarrett on the NASCAR circuit...........  Brown shirts a coincidence? Hmmmmm
www.dalejarrett.com/images/fp_a_1.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Watch Kill Bill, Volume 1 again. They were called the Crazy 88's because there were 88 of them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#10]
But there wasn't 88 of them, watch Kill Bill 2 again. :b
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Maybe there were 44 of them and they were squared?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I know some guys in "81."
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe there were 44 of them and they were squared?

No...then there'd be 1,936 of them.  If there were approx. 9.39 of them, then you could square it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The 88 thing is pretty widespread. Ironically, lots of "gangsta" clothing lines use 88 as a sort of default number on their jersey type lines. Probably coincidence, though, since I somehow doubt most rappers have a tuned appreciation for subtle irony.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe there were 44 of them and they were doubled?

Fixed for ya

Hoppy8420
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe there were 44 of them and they were doubled?

Fixed for ya

Hoppy8420

Thanks, and to think I was a math whiz in college...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#17]
maybe qt is a racist or likes to poke fun. he frequently puts the n-word and other racially insensitive comments in his movies. i also remember the number 88 being purposely put in "reservoir dogs" somewhere, i forget what part of the movie but i distinctly remember it since i have recently seen it and the kill bill's. with a director like qt, almost everything means something, if it's there it's there for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
These movies both really, really sucked.

WHA?!?!?!? Blasphemy! someone pull the plug on his account right now!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]

What about UPS sponsoring Dale Jarrett on the NASCAR circuit........... Brown shirts a coincidence? Hmmmmm

I have to admit, that was really funny....
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#21]
You mean you all can't see the OBVIOUS connection between Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction?

Helllloooooooo!

Buncha geeks
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#23]
O-Ren Ishi was half Chinese. The Chinese regard "8" as a lucky or fortuitous number, as I recall because it sounds similar to "riches" or "prosperity".
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd so hit O-Ren Ishi.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I loved both Kill Bill and Kill Bill II.

Very interesting about the "88" thing. I am going to have to research it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
These movies both really, really sucked.

I used to think you were an OK guy.
Maybe you should check out Rules of Attraction or Mean Girls this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What about UPS sponsoring Dale Jarrett on the NASCAR circuit........... Brown shirts a coincidence? Hmmmmm

I have to admit, that was really funny....

Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all night.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I like how 2 barrels full of rock salt will knock someone 20feet, although it was an anorexic person that got shot so I guess that affects it.
all that blood in the 1st one and almost none in the 2nd
not a bad couple of movies, but not the huge thing they've been hyped to be
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#30]
In Vol.2 Bill tells Bud that there are not actually 88 of them, but that they thought it sounded cool.

I thought both films were spectacular. The best revenge movie I have ever seen, and far superior to the similiarly themed, The Punisher. The story was great, the directing and writing were brilliant, and the acting-especially Uma, was superb.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I like how 2 barrels full of rock salt will knock someone 20feet, although it was an anorexic person that got shot so I guess that affects it.

The Bride flying through the air after being shot was a use of artistic exaggeration just as the fountains of blood were in the first film. It was used to add empahsis to the surprise of her being unexpectedly shot as she charged through the door.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Bride flying through the air after being shot was a use of artistic exaggeration just as the fountains of blood were in the first film. It was used to add empahsis to the surprise of her being unexpectedly shot as she charged through the door.

Forget it dude.  When it comes to QT films, you either get it or you don't.  If you have to explain the movies, you're fighting a losing battle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forget it dude.  When it comes to QT films, you either get it or you don't.  If you have to explain the movies, you're fighting a losing battle.

Yeah, you're probably right.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#35]
she's a professional killer yet there's surpise at getting shot like that? I knew it was coming as soon as the scene started. he knew she was after him, of course he'd be ready. her coming through the front door was the worst tatical move I can think of for that situation
I saw some interviews where QT basically said he was copying kung fu movies
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
www.dalejarrett.com/images/fp_a_1.jpg

Haha!

On another UPS related note, I was watching History Channel a few weeks ago about Hitler. They started talking about his "brown shirts", and a popup ad at the bottom of the screen comes up for "UPS...What can BROWN do for you?"
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't know....but could it just maybe, possibly be that they're called the Crazy 88s because it just rolls off the tounge? It sounds good? Maybe? Possibly?

Quoted:
she's a professional killer yet there's surpise at getting shot like that? I knew it was coming as soon as the scene started. he knew she was after him, of course he'd be ready. her coming through the front door was the worst tatical move I can think of for that situation
I saw some interviews where QT basically said he was copying kung fu movies

Watch the special features on the vol 1 DVD, he doesn't make any bones about ripping off so many different facets of cinema. Of course, it begs the question.....is he ripping off Sonny Chiba films when it actually IS Sonny Chiba? Gotta admit, I liked his story about how he found the 5-6-7-8s music....shows just how funny and yet egotisical he really is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I don't know....but could it just maybe, possibly be that they're called the Crazy 88s because it just rolls off the tounge? It sounds good? Maybe? Possibly?

The thing is about Quentin, he NEVER leaves anything to chance. For example read the Metaphilm on KB or even Pulp Fiction. Every minor detail seems to be intentional.

That's why I tend to overanalize his films.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Negative. Fountains of blood are a staple of the Chanbara flicks Tarantino hijacked for his "artisitic content." Lucy Lui's character is right out of "Lady Snow Blood." These films are a hack job of every 60s Samurai flick and Shaw Bros. movie ever made, and a poor hack job at that.

Most westerners have not seen "Shogun Assassin" so they think this retard is some kind of genius. Same thing happened when Woody Allen cobbled together his travesty of an asian homage called "What's Up Tiger Lily?"

QT has made some good films, but he's not nearly as scary talented as he thinks. He does a LOT of lame ass dorky shit trying to be one of those oh so clever directors (Are you as smart as I am? Do you comprehend my impossibly vague referrences?) that I fucking hate. Just make a movie and quit trying to test me. If I wanted to take a test administered by someone who couldn't produce it without a teachers edition I'd go back to High School.

Of course the spraying blood is a staple of Chanbara and other samurai films as well as modern Japanese anime. QT readily admits that KB 1 and 2 are his paying homage, through imitation, to all of the films he loves. Watch closely and you will see refernces to spaghetti westerns, anime, 70's cop shows, and blaxploitation as well. I have seen Vol. 1 four or five times and I am still noticing new things every time I watch it.

Notice how he only uses the spewing blood in certain instances and at other times uses very realistic wounding effects. This is not an accident. Just as I said earlier, it is used with artistic license, for a specific purpose.

What I appreciate most about QT's filmaking is his range. While his movies are known for their flashy characters, eloquently profane dialogue, and swaggering coolness, he can turn right around and hit you with something totally opposite. For instance, the first scene, used in both KB Vol. 1 and 2 is filmaking at its stripped down, most basic core. It is just one gritty, continous, black and white close-up of Uma's face. Nothing fancy at all, but it is the most powerful 2 minutes of film I have seen in years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Also another cool thing about KB1 and 2

KB1 is supposed to be a mix between various shogun/samurai movies, while KB2 is a western. Note that when Uma is about to attack bud with her sword, she was shot with a shotgun, basically saying that those samurai weapons are worthless in this movie.
Also note that throughout KB2 Samurai swords are used very little, and Uma herself can be spotted sporting a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top