Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 7:16:52 AM EDT

Call me art-deprived, art-not-appreciated person, but I don't see what's a big deal about the painting.  Well, besides, it's expensive,  rare and its painter.

School me on it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#1]
It's very well done and it tells a differant story to every person that sees it.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#2]
umm, there's only one and its being held hostage by those damn dirty frenchmen
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Mona Lisa is neither male nor female.  A rather intriguing painting, go see it in person, you will see what I mean (Lots lost in reproductions.)
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
It's the last painting that art critics actually like which was painted by

an educated
inventive
scientifically literate
mathematically literate
heterosexual
European
culturally Christian (maybe even the "real thing")
pro-military

man.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's very well done and it tells a differant story to every person that sees it.

SGatr15

How so?  All I "see"  is a painting of a female.  Of course, I didn't see IRL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Google up Salvador Dali.

Get back to me after you go to the Dali Museum in St. Pete, FL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

an educated
inventive
scientifically literate
mathematically literate
heterosexual
European
pro-military

man.

That open to debate...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

an educated
inventive
scientifically literate
mathematically literate
heterosexual
European
pro-military

man.

That open to debate...

Touché - I'm a terrible debater.
(Only one criticism from hielo - I'm either onto something, or I'm rapidly losing it, or I'm rapidly asking for it.    )
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

an educated
inventive
scientifically literate
mathematically literate
heterosexual
European
pro-military

man.

That open to debate...

Touché - I'm a terrible debater.
(Only one criticism from hielo - I'm either onto something, or I'm rapidly losing it, or I'm rapidly asking for it.    )

Heilo is a Master debater.  </rim shot!>

TRG

PS.  Going back to junior high now...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#13]
EricTheHun, I didn't know you were a Tiger, when were you at LSU?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

I'll say!

www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~noelh/Images1/Fine-art.GIF

Do you really want to know more, mojo?

I dabbled in art history at LSU and can give you an earful of some insightful, pedantic shiite, if you'd like!

Eric The(ClassyAndCultured)Hun

Seriously Yes.

I mean, some theories say that it was his portrait, some says it was his mother....Or maybe, it was his way to allow people to have an open interpretation based on the eyes of the beholder.
 The painting looks 'live'...I see a lot of modern paintings looking 'live' also.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Dali.  Man With His Head Full of Clouds.  1936

Dali rocks.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

I'll say!

www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~noelh/Images1/Fine-art.GIF

Do you really want to know more, mojo?

I dabbled in art history at LSU and can give you an earful of some insightful, pedantic shiite, if you'd like!

Eric The(ClassyAndCultured)Hun

Seriously Yes.

I mean, some theories say that it was his portrait, some says it was his mother....Or maybe, it was his way to allow people to have an open interpretation based on the eyes of the beholder.
 The painting looks 'live'...I see a lot of modern paintings looking 'live' also.

If you want to see something that looks 'live',  take a peek at a Michelangelo sculpture, WOW!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Da Vinci painted it.  Shitter graffitti would be priceless if it was done by Da Vinci.  Not that I'm calling Mona Lisa worthless if Da Vinci wasn't the artist.

Mainly because it's part of the Renaisance, and the painting expresses genuine human expression while adhering to rational univerally appealling geometric ratios (golden rectangles)
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I could never see the appeal of Picassos work. Stuff looks like crap to my unartistc eyes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I could never see the appeal of Picassos work. Stuff looks like crap to my unartistc eyes.

Really?  Have you seen anything like his work before?  He was very groundbreaking and original.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Couple of things I didn't know about the Mona Lisa that I recently learned (I'm art-stupid, by the way)

1) The painting is relatively small, not even 3ft. x 2ft.  I always thought of it as larger
2) It's painted on a hunk of wood, not canvas.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Have you seen anything like his work before?  He was very groundbreaking and original.

Rap music was ground breaking and original too.  My unartistic ears think that is crap also.  Maybe I am just to visually concrete to appreciate Picasso.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Groundbreaking and original" does NOT equal "good."  The first person to get bubonic plague was "groundbreaking and original," too.

One more vote for crap.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Mine also.
 I guess: different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#24]
The only thing I know about it is that countless people believe that it is a female version of the painter himself. They argue that the distance between the eyes/nose/ears/etc are all the same on Mona Lisa as they are on Da Vinci. No one can prove or disprove that it's really a self-portrait, but such a claim has made me interested in it for some reason. Other than that, I never really understood the hoopla either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The only thing I know about it is that countless people believe that it is a female version of the painter himself. They argue that the distance between the eyes/nose/ears/etc are all the same on Mona Lisa as they are on Da Vinci. No one can prove or disprove that it's really a self-portrait, but such a claim has made me interested in it for some reason. Other than that, I never really understood the hoopla either.

Isn't/wasn't it relatively common for artists to use a mirror for reference?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Some people see a half empty glass, some people see a half full glass.... some people look through the glass to see what's inside it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#27]
some artsy-fartsy guys said it was cool hundreds of years ago, and we've all been brought up to regard it as the best painting ever, without ever even questioning how run-of-the-mill it is. anything's art, paint a picture of one of my turds and it'll be in le louvre in 150 years with the right pr team.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Some people see a half empty glass, some people see a half full glass.... some people look through the glass to see what's inside it.

And there's nothing in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top