Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 9:09:56 PM EDT
Kansas (AP) -- A bill offering some illegal immigrants a tuition break at Kansas' public colleges and universities cleared the Legislature on Tuesday and headed to Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, who plans to sign it.

The House voted 68-54 for the measure, which won Senate passage earlier this year.

The proposal extends in-state tuition -- which is much lower than tuition for nonresidents -- to illegal immigrants who have attended a Kansas high school at least three years and graduated or who earned a general educational development certificate in Kansas.

To receive the lower tuition, an immigrant would have to be actively seeking legal immigration status or plan to do so when eligible.

Proponents contended that many of the immigrants who will benefit have lived and attended schools in Kansas for years and intend to remain in the state.

Opponents argued that the proposal would reward lawbreakers and perhaps even aid terrorists.

"If terrorists come to get a pilot's license at a Kansas university, at least we gave them in-state tuition before they used it against us," Rep. Scott Schwab, a Republican, said sarcastically, drawing boos from some in the chamber.

Kansas residents pay much less than students from outside the state at public universities. In the current semester, for example, in-state tuition for 15 credit hours at Kansas State University is $1,755, compared to $5,700 for undergraduates from other states.

WTF????

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it me or is everything going to hell.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It's not you.  It's going to hell and in a damn hurry.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, in wisconsin they've recently started a government guaranteed home loan program targeted directly to illegal immigrants.

Really.

"Hey you - not allowed to be in the country? We'll give you a special loan to buy a home here! And we'lll help pay for this by taxing the hell out of regular, legal citizens who could never qualify for this program!"

I swear the people who run wisconsin government are idiots. If GWB hadn't idiotically tapped tommy thompson for HHS secretary, this crap would be history AND we'd have concealed carry.

Thanks again, W.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hell, in wisconsin they've recently started a government guaranteed home loan program targeted directly to illegal immigrants.

Really.

"Hey you - not allowed to be in the country? We'll give you a special loan to buy a home here! And we'lll help pay for this by taxing the hell out of regular, legal citizens who could never qualify for this program!"

I was going to post the same thing.

What a damn shame.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nope it;s not you everything is indeed going to hell.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Really.

I swear the people who run wisconsin government are idiots. If GWB hadn't idiotically tapped tommy thompson for HHS secretary, this crap would be history AND we'd have concealed carry.

Thanks again, W.

WTF?!!!
When did that goe through? Thats bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#7]
This situation seems to be spreading all over the place like the plague... maybe I should go to Mexico, claim residency and denounce my US residency, then come back and reap the benefits.

*side note: Most of the arguements/rebuttles in this forum and al ot of other ones are examples of informal fallacies. (a.k.a. what I learned in college this semester)

1.) False Dilemma-
In this fallacy, the distraction from the truth lies in the wording of the argument. The argument is worded so that we are only given two alternative actions, one of which is usually so outrageous as to be unacceptable. The other action or option of belief is usually the one being argued for. This argument is deceptive because if carefully constructed, it has a valid form- (Disjunctive Syllogism), but it ignores the possibility that there may be more than two alternative actions.

Examples:

- Either we allow abortion or we force children to be raised by parents who don't want them.
- America, love it or leave it!
- If we restrict publication of Magazines such as the Star and the National Enquirer, then the first Amendment will be weakened and the whole country will be controlled by the Government.
- If Guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

2.) Slippery Slope-
This type of fallacy centers around the claim that if we justify an action (X), then this will also justify some other actions, and these will not be desirable. The idea here is that the reasoning which justifies one action will also justify other actions, ones which will be detrimental or undesirable. example:
The choice of what should be taught in universities should be left to professors. If students are allowed to influence this choice, they will see themselves as running the school. This will lead to a breakdown of order and discipline, and pretty soon there will be no learning at all in the University.

You will also find the Slippery slope used to justify positions on both sides of the abortion issue (which may itself be a false dilemma), on our continued support of Israel ("you are either with us or against us"), and in the debate over raising postal rates or cutting the defense budget.(Reagan used this one for Eight Years!) The best way to counter this fallacy is to point out that there is a logical point at which a "line" can be drawn which will prevent the "slide" down the slope.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife is a LEGAL immigrant who had to pay out-of-state tuition in grad school.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Methinks we need a federal law that prohibits states from conferring any recognition or benefits to any illegal immigrants.  As much as I hate the Federal Govt sometimes, I think it's time they stepped in on this one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
"If terrorists come to get a pilot's license at a Kansas university, at least we gave them in-state tuition before they used it against us," Rep. Scott Schwab, a Republican, said sarcastically, drawing boos from some in the chamber.

She got booed for speaking the truth?  

Makes me ashamed to be a graduate of a Kansas university.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Methinks we need a federal law that prohibits states from conferring any recognition or benefits to any illegal immigrants.  As much as I hate the Federal Govt sometimes, I think it's time they stepped in on this one.

I'll second that one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top