Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 10:27:33 AM EDT
Ok carpenter guys....can this happend, or were his friends trying to off him ???

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3685791.stm

Builder survives nailgun accident

(See pic at URL)

This X-ray was taken one hour after the accident
A construction worker has miraculously survived after six nails were embedded in his skull.
Isidro Mejia, 39, was rushed to hospital after his nailgun accidentally went off, shooting nails into his head.

Newspaper reports say doctors at Providence Holy Cross Hospital in Los Angeles had feared for his life when he arrived.

But Mr Mejia is now out of intensive care and doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

Extensive surgery

Surgeons removed the six nails over the course of five days.

"Four of the nails were embedded in his skull," said hospital spokesman Brian Green.

With injuries like that, he should have been dead

"Another was in his spinal column. Surgeons worked round the clock to take the nails out one by one.

"It was a very delicate process and was not completed for five days.

"The neurosurgeon who operated on Isidro could not believe he was still alive.

"With injuries like that, he should have been dead. He has been taken out of intensive care and although still groggy and on medication is expected to make a full recovery.

"His wife and family are obviously delighted that he survived and are looking forward to getting home," he said.

According to the reports, police have launched an investigation. However, they believe it was a bizarre accident.

"His colleagues said Isidro was using a nailgun that has both manual and fully automatic settings," said deputy sheriff Dan McPherson.

"It appears he slipped and fired into his skull."

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#1]
holy crap
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]
These things happen.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never heard of a "select fire" nail gun.  IF there is one, how the hell do you slip and shoot yourself in the back of the head?
I've been in construction over 20 years and have never seen an "accident" like that.  Shoot yourself with one nail? Been there, done that. Two nails? Maybe.
But 6, in the back of the head, I don't think so.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#5]
There's another thread on this too www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=241964  with the picture (and some other humorous ones) in the thread.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, considering those appear to be large framing nails...say 3" to 3 1/2"...a framing nailer is a pretty large piece of gear to get all wrapped up behind your head and shoulder...if, in fact the x-ray is showing what it looks like...that the nails entered from the side and rear, but I suppose it might have happened. What makes me even more curious is the fact that even with a "bump fired" nail gun (what they describe as full auto) which will continue firing each time the head makes contact provided you keep the trigger pulled, a framing gun uses a lot of air, and I think I would look really hard at the size of the compressor being used here. My small PC twin tank would need some time at around 90-100 PSI to recycle for full punch with each nail, but might sink six at least mostly into soft wood using my Bostich pretty fast if I tried...not sure as I have never needed to try such a stunt.

I would personally be very skeptical of this so called accident from only this information.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
It's Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]
ibtl
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Origionaly posted by caveman: ,how the hell do you slip and shoot yourself in the back of the head?

Thats exactly what I was going to say.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought this was going to be another "Police raid the wrong appt" thread.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
wow
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Fully automatic nail gun??? BULLSHIT!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top