Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2004 9:52:51 AM EDT
I'm looking into purchasing one with a can for my first class-3.  
Will they function properly? WHo has shot one? How will subsonic rounds function? ballistics?
Looking to spend my tax refund on something real nice Clark

www.quarterbore.com/300whisper/rifles/rig004.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a nice one, but never could bring myself to file the paperwork for a licensed can so I let it go.
They are very quiet with subsonic ammo, but you may have to reload your own, if you cannot afford quantities at expensive prices.
I have fired a suppressed 300whisper, aka 300fireball, aka 300/221 and the recoil is very little with the sound being on the much lower end as far as suppressed rifles go. I am sorry I do not have actual numbers to offer you.
They are solid hitters out to 200yds and can be shot as far as 300 before those bullets take the plunge off the deep end. (big fat 30 cal bullet in a really small case will do that)

Thermomold magazines and betas work very well, but most USGI mags will function addequetly.

SSK Industries can provide you with specs if you ask nicely. Mr JD Jones seemed pleasant enough to me, but it was years ago when I had contact with him and it was one of his uppers that I purchased so your experience may vary.

The cartridge was designed for a full auto suppressed weapon in a close quarters rifle. It was designed to be used at shorter ranges and provide a really quiet shooting weapon with some extra knock down power.

I hope someone else jumps in to provide you with the numbers you are looking for. Make an informed decision before you buy, unlike myself. I spent allot of money on the upper, reloading supplies and accesories and never really got to enjoy the weapon as it was meant to be. I lost close to 1k when I sold my stuff.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#2]
model 1 sales makes one now, much cheaper than some of the other makers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting one.  How long will all the paperwork take?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#4]
paperwork is on the can, not the upper...and about 4 months or so.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I spent allot of money on the upper, reloading supplies and accesories and never really got to enjoy the weapon as it was meant to be. I lost close to 1k when I sold my stuff.

I got the upper and stuff and it it top quality gear.  Haven't shot it yet as the upper is off being customized and having an "integral" suppressor designed for it.  It should end up looking similar to an overgrown MP5SD.....

I fired a "bolt action" 300/221 {300 Whisper} from a local maufacturer in VA......with the action not cycling the thing was HOLLYWOOD quiet.....just like you hear in the movies.  Just about as quiet as many of the suppressed 22's I've heard.

Corbon makes loaded subsonic ammo as well as loaded supersonic ammo.  150gr @ 2000fps & 220gr at ~1000fps.....
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I spent allot of money on the upper, reloading supplies and accesories and never really got to enjoy the weapon as it was meant to be. I lost close to 1k when I sold my stuff.

I got the upper and stuff and it it top quality gear.  Haven't shot it yet as the upper is off being customized and having an "integral" suppressor designed for it.  It should end up looking similar to an overgrown MP5SD.....

I fired a "bolt action" 300/221 {300 Whisper} from a local maufacturer in VA......with the action not cycling the thing was HOLLYWOOD quiet.....just like you hear in the movies.  Just about as quiet as many of the suppressed 22's I've heard.

Corbon makes loaded subsonic ammo as well as loaded supersonic ammo.  150gr @ 2000fps & 220gr at ~1000fps.....

Now I'm having trouble deciding between a bolt action or the AR-upper.  Does anyone know if the subsonic will cycle int eh AR?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
It will in an SSK upper that has an adjustable gas system tuned to handle it.  In a Model 1 shade-tree special, who knows?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I'm having trouble deciding between a bolt action or the AR-upper.  Does anyone know if the subsonic will cycle int eh AR?

Without a can it should do it with the factory Corbon loads, or so I am led to believe.  With handloads it becomes iffy........there are more pics on Quarterbore -- I think -- that show blockage from slow loads.

The upper I have being made will incorporate a side charging handle on the left side, like the SOCOM Mfg uppers, an SSK adjustable gas system "supersonic, subsonic and off", and a full length suppressor.

With the gas system off I will still be able to cycle the action after the shot without moving off the gun....so it becomes a "bolt action".....

The bolt action one I shot was actually based on the 700 Rem action.  They also had a post ban AR with gas system disabled and it was just as quiet.

If you have a pre-ban AR you have no such restrictions.  If you wait until 14 Sept there will be none on any AR.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top