Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 9:15:16 AM EDT
I have an M1a stock (dear old dad gave it to me) that looks pretty unused, but has this black gunk on it. Looks like years and years worth of open storage in a warehouse type stuff, dust and perhaps exhaust that gets on it. Just wondering if anybody has any good ideas on what to use to clean it off. I don't really want to refinish the stock at this point, just make it useable by cleaning.

Is it as simple as Murphy's Oil Soap and a sponge, careful not to get it too wet?

TIA,
jim
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on how clean you want to get it, I've used the following three methods on M1 Garand stocks.

Murphy's Oil soap and a soft to medium bristle brush. Work up a good lather and scrub it well, alot of stuff will come off this way. Rinse it and dry with a rag or towel.

Dishwasher. Run it through a cycle in your dishwasher with regular dishwasher detergent and dry it with a towel as soon as the cycle is done. Gets off more than Murphys. Be sure to rinse dishwasher with another cycle of soap to clean out any residue that made have been left in the washer. This process is best done when the wife is not home.

Oven Cleaner. Spray down entire stock with ordinary cheap oven cleaner. Let sit for 30 to 45 minutes and rub down with a Scotch Brite pad. Rinse with water and dry. This will strip the stock of all finish and take you down to the bare wood.    
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Much obliged Wessono!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#3]
you've come to the right place, I'm an expert at refinishing stocks......If the rifle is a collector piece, and all original, DO NOT STRIP THE OLD FINISH!!!!!!!! You'll ruin it's value. I'd use a strong mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap and a sponge. The trick is to remove the grime, but not the finish........
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Just do a google for 'gun stock refinishing'. You'll have so much info that it will take you two days to decide which method t use!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Purple power.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top