My wife just turned in her application for CCW and is now looking for
a new carry gun. She currently has a Ruger P95 which she likes and
shoots well, but it's pretty big for her to carry regularly. She's 5'3" and
petite. We looked at Cabela's and she likes the lightweight DA revolvers
in .38/.357.  I like them because I think they're something she will
actually carry and not leave home because it's too heavy.   Plus I
don't own one and really should add one to the stable. This one will be
shot a lot so it needs to be rugged and comfortable for her. So, any
recommendations on lightweight revolvers?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
S&W 442 or 642  (black or stainless)
hammerless
5 rds
.38 SP
$350-450 price range.
very compact and comfy.
very foolproof.
Pretty? Not really.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto what L_S said above.  If price/budget is more of an issue, the Taurus equivalent isn't bad for the money IMO.  (My wife carries autos, but my best buddy's wife carries the lightweight Taurus.)

My extra two cents:  If you can, invest in a high-quality holster-purse (or two) for her (Galco & Coronado (sp?) make nice-looking ones) - something specifically designed for concealment & rapid access.  My wife only carried sporadically until we got her some of those - now she is always armed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Good choice, but I wouldn't be hung up on getting NIB. I have never regretted buying a used S&W revolver.

ETA: I have an old (pre-scandium) airweight snub nosed .38. It's a handful when you light it off, but it is very convenient to carry.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#4]
SIG P239.  Small and compact.  Very accurate and easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Kahr Arms PM9.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Thanks for the info. The holster issue is why she started looking at
lightweight revolvers. Most of the time she carries a large leather
backpack style purse with a pocket perfect for a gun. Then the
size and weight of the weapon really isn't much of an issue. The P95
would be OK . It's when she goes places where the backpack isn't  
appropriate to carry that she'll need a more suitable handgun. And
I'd prefer that if she is to carry, she always carry the same gun. Less
chance of fumbling. The lightweight guns will work with hip holsters,
fanny packs, purses, pants or jacket pockets, etc.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I second the P239, but in 9MM. I have the .40S&W and recoil is pretty snappy. The .357SIG is expensive to shoot (read: practice) with and has a lot of muzzle flash.

I recently picked up a Colt Mustang Plus II in .380 and it's actually a pretty nice piece. Accurate and not a single hiccup in 250 rounds.

I bough the GF a Colt Gov't model .380 and it's pretty sweet also.

The small, light wheelgun is always a good choice. One of the origianl "point & click" devices.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
S&W 442 or 642  (black or stainless)
hammerless
5 rds
.38 SP
$350-450 price range.
very compact and comfy.
very foolproof.
Pretty? Not really.

www.gunfactory.ch/faustfw/images/sw442.gif

Shit he beat me!  What he said, but add the hammer version is tad less expensive but being able to cock makes it easier to qualify with on you CCW.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Get her an Airlite for sure.  I purchased on for my GF.  Sure she might shoot the auto well at the range, but in real life I want the gun to go bang when the trigger is pulled.  I don't want to worry about the safety or her limp wristing it and not cycling.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Kahr Arms PM9.

I know you would rather a revolver ( good choice IMO ) BUT I would  like to give  a yip for the all stainless steel K9. Either the 093A standard stainless or the 094A black stainless if your preference is steel instead of plastic.

I know a couple of gals who pack Kahrs and have shot those two particular guns...both were wonderful weapons.

If you prefer revolvers go with Smith and stick with steel....IMO.  My mom has been packing a Smith 67 since I was but a wee lad...thing still shoots like a target pistol.  My sister carries a 1960's Colt Detective Special....but they don't make 'em like that anymore...both are VERY petite women.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#11]

For you Minnesota guys, anyone know of a range where these can be rented?
I'm in the Owatonna area, so South metro is better for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Kel-Tec PT3A little 380 auto with Korbon 90G +p ammo. I love this little thing, I consistantly carry now, size of a wallet and doesnt print. Cheap to, I bought mine for 220.00
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Wife carries a Walther PPK .380 Stainless.  Very nice little handgun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I recently picked up a Colt Mustang Plus II in .380 and it's actually a pretty nice piece. Accurate and not a single hiccup in 250 rounds.

I bough the GF a Colt Gov't model .380 and it's pretty sweet also.

The small, light wheelgun is always a good choice. One of the origianl "point & click" devices.

Those Colt 380s are pretty easy to shoot because they are one of the few 380s that use a locked-breach like its 1911 cousins. But there are slight differences from 1911s though, during cleaning  the ejector can be pushed down into the magazine well, and kind of a bitch to get it back into place, so you have to be really careful not to push the ejector down too far. Most of the rest of the 380s have a straight blow back arrangement that uses the recoil spring to hold the barrel and slide together until pressures are safe, which is simple but that tends to get the recoil right back into your hand real fast.

The S&W 442 5-shot J frame would be ideal, it is not to expensive, and is fairly light to carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top