Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2004 8:18:06 AM EDT
This film is an attack on Bush – pure and simple.  I‘ve never seen “Bowling for Columbine” primarily due to the fact that I haven’t found a way to see it without paying to rent it and put any money whatsoever into the pockets of that big, fat, Columbine profiteer, and lying pig - Michael Moore.

This movie, however slanted it WILL be, has really got my interest peeked – solely due to the fact that Disney Co. is blocking it.

You want to make something popular in a free society?  Ban it.

www.nytimes.com/2004/05/05/national/05DISN.html?position=&ei=5006&en=89982416bdce50c0&ex=1084334400&adxnnl=1&partner=ALTAVISTA1&pagewanted=print&adxnnlx=1083773360-4FHT1iir8IYi/OFobuPSRQ
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
No kidding - it's like telling teenagers they're not allowed to drink
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No kidding - it's like telling teenagers they're not allowed to drink

European translation:  "It's like telling the Dutch not to yodel!"

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Er, isn't that the swiss?

E-mule will have it soon enough, and the old sharereactor website had a nice clip of Michael moore saying he was all in favour of people ripping his film and spreading it round for free. So you dont even have to feel guilty for the copyright infringment.

I haven't heard much about the contents but surely linking the Bush's to the Bin Laden family (legit sides anyway) isn;t much of a bash, or even a stretch.

Course Mikey will be going a lot further than that, and linking in the illuminati, the freemasons, the manson family, and the gnomes of zurich by the time he's finished his "mockumentary"...
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe it is for legal reasons?

Maybe the lawyers at Disney are worried about a slander-type lawsuit?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Eh, while I find it distasteful that Disney would actively try to block any piece based on political reasons, the contract legally allows them to, it sounds like Miramax knew from the start that they would most likely do this.  If anyone loses money or profits as a result, hey, they should have thought of that before funding the movie.  Perhaps they did it because they KNEW it would cause a stink, talk about major free publicity!  I'm sure that Streisand and her ilk are already putting the funding together to get this movie distributed.

While I disagree with the concept of the movie, and with Michael Moore in general, political concerns should not have power over the media.  What's to prevent them from blocking another movie Miramax should happen to make, theoretically, that's sympathetic to conservative views?

Eh, whatever.  Sorry, I'm an optomist some times.  Sounds like Miramax made a big mistake, and now they are going to have to pay for it.  Don't sign contracts you don't want to adhere to!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#6]

They learned after what the Jewish-lobby's protests did for the success of "The Passion".

This is nothing but hype and it's all to maximize "buzz" for when the movie comes out in the Fall during the critical time before the election.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Disney can CENSOR in Disneyland as it is their country after all ... but in America Disney makes business decisions.

Governments censor, business make judgments, good or bad, on whether a product meets with their needs.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe they'll enter "The Passion" as a documentary.  Makes as much sense as allowing Moore's "mockumentaries".

So, banning something makes it MORE popular.  Now we know why semi auto rifles were banned.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Well not playing the "Regan Story" didn't make it a #1 seller.

::shrugs::
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Fat Ass would feed a lot of alligators......
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
He's going to make alot more money and have tons more publicity now, that much is for sure.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#13]
After almost getting his ass thrown out the door, the last thing Eisner needs at this time is controversy.

Moore's crap about tax breaks is BS. I don't know FL tax code, but if a break is available, it's available regardless of what the governor says or does.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#14]
When did they plan to release it.  Wasnt it supposed to be about a month before the electiom, that time of release may have played a part.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
does jesus, mel gibson and the jewish community ring a bell?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
No.  It won't make it a success and you can't compare it to The Passion.  It feels like sacriledge to degrade the story of Christ by mentioning it in the same post as Moore, but this is why:

The Passion is a film about the greatest story ever told and the greatest man who ever lived.  It's a moving picture about sacrifice and greatness.

Micheal Moore, on the other hand, is nothing but an extremely large quantity of liquid shit wrapped in a too-small, straining-against-the-pressure human skin.  Likewise, so-called movie born of his ameoba-like shit mass will undoubtedly be nothing but 2 hours worth of mindless drivel reeking of feces.

The ONLY thing these two have in common is that everyone is aware of these facts about The Passion and shitboy's new excrement.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]
If the movie sucks (and I'm sure it does) it can get all the attention in the world and still go down the tubes at the BO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No.  It won't make it a success and you can't compare it to The Passion.  It feels like sacriledge to degrade the story of Christ by mentioning it in the same post as Moore, but this is why:

The Passion is a film about the greatest story ever told and the greatest man who ever lived.  It's a moving picture about sacrifice and greatness.

Micheal Moore, on the other hand, is nothing but an extremely large quantity of liquid shit wrapped in a too-small, straining-against-the-pressure human skin.  Likewise, so-called movie born of his ameoba-like shit mass will undoubtedly be nothing but 2 hours worth of mindless drivel reeking of feces.

The ONLY thing these two have in common is that everyone is aware of these facts about The Passion and shitboy's new excrement.

This is what I ment by that:
How many non-religious people or people who have no interest in the story have seen the passion simply because of its excessively media fed "contreversy".
I also recall a Rabbi on the today show saying that this movie will take religious relationships between the two faiths back to the dark ages. I don't care what your faith is, that's sort of statement would make me curious.
Moore is loving this. Make no mistake, it will be released (unfortunately). And it will do very well because of this.
Cartman comes to mind: "you can't come to my park!"
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I ment by that:
How many non-religious people or people who have no interest in the story have seen the passion simply because of its excessively media fed "contreversy".
I also recall a Rabbi on the today show saying that this movie will take religious relationships between the two faiths back to the dark ages. I don't care what your faith is, that's sort of statement would make me curious.
Moore is loving this. Make no mistake, it will be released (unfortunately). And it will do very well because of this.
Cartman comes to mind: "you can't come to my park!"

Well, for one thing, even non-religious people are familiar with the story of Christ.  You cannot have lived anywhere in the western world without having heard the basics of the story.  This created some familiarity from the beginning.  The hype probably drew some people in, but the familiarity was there before the hype.

In contrast, how many people have heard of the shit-ameoba?  Not nearly as many as those who have heard of Christ and the way he died.  And out of those people who have heard of him, how many would be willing to see any of the trash he comes up with?  He hasn't exactly been making friends in this country of late.  You will most likely have the die hard fans of the shit-ameoba watch this crap, and then a few people drawn in by the hype.  It won't be nearly as arousing to the curiousity as a story that is widely known to all.

And to get somewhat off topic, on the subject of the hype about The Passion:

It's an interesting study in society.
It's curious that American Christians are Israel's strongest supporters in this country, and that American Jews are the most vocal opponents.  Those that would be most affected by the film on an emotional level are those that have always and will always be Israel's strongest supporters.

One thing that surprised The Neutral Observer was that the majority of Israeli Jews despise American Jews, and vice versa.  They literally hate each other.  Most Israeli Jews view American Jews as naive, sheltered, and out of touch with reality, and hold a deep contempt for them.  The Neutral Observer is not sure exactly how most American Jews view Israeli Jews, but they certainly look down their noses at them.  It's interesting that the majority of complaining about this film came from American Jews, while most Israeli Jews who were aware of the social dynamics over here had no problem with it.  It was also remarkably easy to explain the facts to those who weren't aware of American society and get them to accept it as the truth, which indicates how much weight Israelis placed on the hype stirred up by the American Jews.  Most American Jews are not fond of devout American Christians either, which might explain why they missed this subtle point.

And apologies to any of our Jewish members that don't fit the above statements.  It's always hard to draw generalizations, and certainly there are those that do not fit them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Eisener has got enough problems without releasing this film.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#21]
The whole story is a lie... made up by Moore

This story turns out to be false. Moore made this up as a publicity stunt.

news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=518901

Moore accused of publicity stunt over Disney 'ban'

By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles

07 May 2004

Less than 24 hours after accusing the Walt Disney Company of pulling the plug on his latest documentary in a blatant attempt at political censorship, the rabble-rousing film-maker Michael Moore has admitted he knew a year ago that Disney had no intention of distributing it.

The admission, during an interview with CNN, undermined Moore's claim that Disney was trying to sabotage the US release of Fahrenheit 911 just days before its world premiere at the Cannes film festival.

Instead, it lent credence to a growing suspicion that Moore was manufacturing a controversy to help publicise the film, a full-bore attack on the Bush administration and its handling of national security since the attacks of 11 September 2001.

In an indignant letter to his supporters, Moore said he had learnt only on Monday that Disney had put the kibosh on distributing the film, which has been financed by the semi-independent Disney subsidiary Miramax.

But in the CNN interview he said: "Almost a year ago, after we'd started making the film, the chairman of Disney, Michael Eisner, told my agent he was upset Miramax had made the film and he will not distribute it."

Nobody in Hollywood doubts Fahrenheit 911 will find a US distributor. His last documentary, Bowling for Columbine , made for $3m (£1.7m), pulled in $22m at the US box office.

But Moore's publicity stunt, if that is what is, appears to be working. A front-page news piece in The New York Times was followed yesterday by an editorial denouncing Disney for censorship and denial of Moore's right to free expression.

Moore told CNN that Disney had "signed a contract to distribute this [film]" but got cold feet. But Disney executives insists there was never any contract. And a source close to Miramax said that the only deal there was for financing, not for distribution.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top